Hayfever

Southern Ontario, Canada (Niagara region)
My dog Zip gets terrible hayfever every spring, and it continues right up to Christmastime each year and this year is no exception. The vet has told us it is not uncommon in dogs nowadays, and Zip has had it ever since he was about 1 year old. Now he is 5 3/4 and it shows no signs of improving, so we plan on giving him pills in the spring.
Hayfever is characterised by red around the eyes, in the ears, on the belly and on the legs - front and hind. At least that is where Zip gets it. His skin gets so cracked it bleeds.
Does anyone else's dog(s) have this problem, or another similar skin disease? Thanx.

beaglefoxiezip xoxo

Hi Beaglefox,

This may sound strange, but it could be the dogfood he eats. I have a Sheltie, and he had very bad skin problems. The vet said it was some kind of allergy. It would make gross looking sores around his face and ears. After doing some research, we decided to change his dogfood. We started using Flint River dog food, an all natural product. After about a week of using it, the sores stopped spreading, and eventually went away all together. Not only did the sores go away, but his coat became more silky, and shiny. It may be worth a try.

Chazhound

I'm going to second Chazhound on his food suggestion. Even if you have to keep up the medication your vet prescribed, a high quality, natural dog food makes a real difference. Good luck to you and Zip.

Renee

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
I'm going to agree with Renee and Chazhound. We had a dog with terrible allergies...even got her tested. We heard about a natural dog food called California Natural. It was terrific. It helped alot to minimize the allergies/hayfever and helped her coat and all around health as well. The other item I stopped using was carpet deodorizer powder. That seemed to really affect her skin as well.
Hope this helps!

Members online