has anyone made chocolate molds?

Dreeza

So thanks to GO's brilliant google skills, I now have a mold to make a 3D chocolate Labrador retriever :p

the mold didnt come with any kind of instructions, so i emailed the lady...she gave me good instructions (freeze one side, then make the other, and put the already frozen part on top, so it becomes one solid thing...) but she wasn't helpful when it came to what kind of chocolate to use.

Does it matter? I want to use really good quality chocolate. Also, I have NO freaking idea how much to buy...all it says is "3-D 2 pc mold, completed is Approx 5 1/2 X 9 1/2" Its about 4" wide...

help!

nancy2394

Do you have a local candy store that sells the chocolate pellets? You can get them in a variety of colors and quality. I would take the mold to the candy store and show them what you got and they can tell you how much chocolate you need. I would suggest getting enough to make at least 2 of them in case the first one doesn't come out right. Goodluck!

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Usually every year I make chocolate suckers for my nephews Halloween parties at school. I do like Nancy said and buy the chocolate pellets. Im sure you could probley do it with solid Hershey bars but im not sure. The pellets melt easier so there is less chance of you burning it. No particular brand I know all the grocery stores around here sell the pellets.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I have no idea. If it were me I'd probably buy a Hersheys bar and melt it in lol, but that might not taste so good. As someone else already suggested try a candy store or candy-related store. They might know.

Let us see how it turns out. 5.5" x 9.5" sounds like a huge candy bar lol.

Dreeza

yeah, its WAAYY bigger than i thought it would be, LOL!

I was thinking of buying those huge chunks of chocolate that they sell at trader joe's

i dunno of any candy stores around here

and hershey's does NOT count as good quality chocolate :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
You can also get the chocolate melts at craft stores like Michaels - that's where I always get mine!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
and hershey's does NOT count as good quality chocolate
Maybe to the inexperienced taste buds but to world-reknowned buds like mine, Hershey's is pretty much ambrosia and nectar (yes, combined!).

Barb04

Super Moderator
I know you have to melt the chocolate slowly and stir often; do this over a double boiler or if you don't have one a bowl over a pot with simmering water in it. The chocolate gets a shiny look to it as it melts. When all melted, pour some i n the mold and swirl around if making a hollow chocolate mold or fill completely if making it solid. Put in refrig to harden. When you take out of refrig, you can usually pop out of mold. Once both sides are complete, melt some more chocolate to use as a glue to hold both sides together.

My neighbor when I was younger was a cake decorator and also made chocolate molds for the holidays. The above is what I remember her doing.

I would say buy more chocolate than you think and you can always return what you don't need.

Members online

No members online now.