Teaching Rollover???

B

Blue_Dog

Well my Dog Blue is smart but he can't get rollover.I do the thing where you put the treat in froont of their face and turn it so that they have to roll over to get it but he just lays their only looking back every now and then.

any suggestions? :)

aurorab

I had to do a bit more of hand on w/ Baby. I started w/ lay down. Then I started to rub her belly (found out that she must mever have had her belly rubbed, it seemed so new to her and she loved it) after a while I would turn her on her back after I got her to lay down and she would get belly rubs. Then after a while I started to turn her over (so she knew it was ok) the 1st time I don't think she was so sure but w/ the belly rubs and cheese she got better w/ it. Then I would work on saying roll over when I did it (1st lay down then roll over) after a few times she was starting to do it a little more on her own. Then I would tell her to lay down, then rollover and move the cheese in a circle and she started to do it on her own. She's still not perfect at it and sometimes need a little help starting but for a dog who doesn't even know how to play she doing GREAT!
You probably won't have to go as slow as I did but starting them off in a lay down possition and then helping them over a bit might help.
Let us know how it goes

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
try this

have your dog get into the down position then take a treat and go very slowly toward his tail then when you get to behind the front shoulder start to run it over his back while you tell him the command you are using to have him rollover it usually works qiute well it may take a few trys

good luck

RD

Are you dead yet?
I used luring with my boys. I put them in a down, and then rolled them onto their side (btw - I've trained my dogs to be used to me handling them this way, but for a lot of dogs it is VERY intimidating. Don't roll a dog over on its side if you haven't conditioned them to be used to it.) Then i got out a favorite treat, and slowly moved it towards the back of their head. Their head turned to get the treat, and their body followed. When they rolled over, I clicked (Used a voice marker for Ripley, who didn't like the clicker very much) and gave them the treat.
As they started to "get it" I added the command "Roll over" every time I lured them around. When they were rolling reliably with the lure, I just raised my hand up a little higher, and lured them from there. Now, it just takes a flick of the wrist, and they roll over.

One thing that I learned about teaching Rollover - do not associate it with the "lie down" command! I taught Ripley to roll over in several tries, but I unfortunately learned that soon, every time I told him to lie down, he anticipated the roll over command and rolled the instant he laid down! So, to avoid anticipation problems, when you put your dog in the down position, REWARD THE DOG FOR LYING DOWN, wait a moment, and then proceed to the "roll over" part of it. The two commands can get merged together and it takes a lot of work to "un-train" the dog from the bad habit of rolling over when it's told to lie down.

Sheba

I W A L R
Thanks for all!I was also wondering how to teach Wendy that trick!I tried but she just couldnt get it the was I was teaching her!I hope those other ways work!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
that whole moving the treat thing doesn't work with my dog lol he just stands up to get the treat lol. I have to put him on his side for a belly rub and then i start to move the treat while heis on his back and i give hima little help over. lol but it is very hazardous to my health lol he likes to swing his paws around lol and i get scratched lol.

Dreeza

hahah yeah, thats what Oakley does too...

and the smarty i am, quickly pulled the treat out of his reach, but towards my face...yeah, he almost took off my cheek... :(

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Rip's Girl said:
One thing that I learned about teaching Rollover - do not associate it with the "lie down" command! I taught Ripley to roll over in several tries, but I unfortunately learned that soon, every time I told him to lie down, he anticipated the roll over command and rolled the instant he laid down! So, to avoid anticipation problems, when you put your dog in the down position, REWARD THE DOG FOR LYING DOWN, wait a moment, and then proceed to the "roll over" part of it. The two commands can get merged together and it takes a lot of work to "un-train" the dog from the bad habit of rolling over when it's told to lie down.
Haha, that's the part I'm working on now.

Sawyer was getting close to doing it on his own, so I praised him whenever he was rolling over on his own so he would start to associate the word with the action. Then I would get him to lie down and then help him roll-over, praise and treat and then it was just a matter of time before he got it on his own. He also now knows 'roll-back', going from one side to the other. :) I'm working on "bowing" now.

Members online