Can you believe this?

bogolove

My husband and I just went to the Flea Market on the Tennessee State Fair Grounds. It has got some really cool stuff, but we went in one building and there were a lot of people in there. They had puppies for sale at the Flea market. Pure bred, but I imagine buying one would be promoting a puppy mill. Not sure though, but my husband and I were speculating. They were all smaller breed dogs, no big ones. I just thought it was odd that they had all those puppies, but I didn't stop to see what it was about, there were too many people in the way. :confused:

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I agree with Renee. Definitely not a good place to obtain a pet.

One of my pet peeves is people at Petsmart. The last two times I've been there, there were people parading around with their Boxer puppies. They were uncropped, their tails were docked around the first vertebrae, and they overall weren't close to the standard. Then there was the Pomeranian about the size of a German Pinscher. (My brain has turned off and that's the only breed that came to mind.) I guess they could have been rescues, but I'd bet against it.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
Thats really bad i would'nt get nothing from there, but in the other hand i would to get the puppies out of there and take them home to be safe and warm!!!

Debi

around here animals are always for sale at the flea market. Pups of all types...pedigree (maybe) pups that just need a home, ducks, geese, chickens...you name it. I don't agree with it totally......but if it finds a little guy a home, then it's good. My hubby has to drag me past all animals I see....truly...lol Poor little kittens.........oh, I smile when I see someone has taken one cause MAYBE they'll have a good home. Rabbits....it goes on and on. NO.....not the perfect place to find a pet, but IF..IF it gets one of them a loving home..so be it. :(

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yep.. Around here there are a lot of people who sell dogs at flea markets. That's where one of my friends got her chihuahua.
My problem with it is that it's basically an impulse buy. The buyer knows nothing about the breeder because most of the time, the buyer doesn't even visit the breeder's home. Usually when they are so caught up in the moment they forget to ask about things like health testing, registration, and contracts. All they hear is: "She's a real sweetie.. I'd sell her for $200." and they take her.
My friend's chihuahuas are nice dogs, I just wish that she would have checked out the breeder before she got them. IMO both were terrible BYB. Her first pup turned out to have ringworm when she bought him, and her second one turned out to be a full month younger than they thought. :(

Debi

I agree..at a flea market, it is an impulse buy........not always a good thing. But, the folks at any of our flea markets don't sugar coat anything........just put the little animal out there for people to see. The 'good' thing.......I don't see anyone asking big prices...mostly just trying to get the little animal a home. So, it isn't anyone pretending to be a breeder........just folks that have a little critter that needs a home. I know that I've considered many a little guy...while walking by........be it a duck, or a pup..........and, if I can sound totally dorky here............I'd be a very good home, so I like to think there are other folks just like me..that may take in an animal and just love it to pieces!! We are an area of farm people........maybe that makes a difference??? don't know....but I still am all for folks bringing their little pals to the flea market..........impulse, or not............hey, it may bring a home. :)

Cidney

I bought my first Yorkie and one of those type places and I paid for it with with my broken heart and a 10,000. vet bill that accumulated over a 4 year time period. I would have paid more if I knew the vets could save him but...

I learned a lesson when buying a puppy to ask to see the mother and/or father and that is what I did when I got Scooter - he has been the best dogs ever! I am not saying all dogs purchased at flea markets or on the side of the rode will be like my experience but its a risk you take. I no longer go to flea markets that sell puppies becuase I cant stand to see that kind of business, too emotional for me. I just want to ask the people selling the puppies isnt the over all well fair of the puppy more important that making a buck - dont they care about WHO they are selling to? Do they ask questions?

Debi

Well, that's just the thing...at my flea markets nobody is asking any kind of big money........mostly no money. They come to the market to try and find the pup (or whatever) a home. At least I feel like they try......some folks just take them to the pound and don't care a bit. In my area I've never seen anyone trying to make big money on an animal. :)

pitbulliest

Maybe you can do something about it? I would rat them out to the police or the humane society. Someone should definately be looking into that. Definately smells fishy to me.

It can make a difference in a farm community. I've learned it's a completely different world; farm people tend to be more aware of an animal's health and physical soundness when they choose their own pets. Even given that, I'm not crazy about the idea of selling animals at flea markets; you just can't know what kind of home they're going to. And it would be different if any money taken in went to spaying and neutering the parents, but we all know the chances of that happening . . . :rolleyes:

bogolove

The prices on the cages were around $150 - $200 or so. Nothing really big. I think $250 may be the highest I saw. I am not saying it is bad for people to take them, every animal should have a LOVING home, I mean I got Brady from a lady whose dog had 13 puppies because she never got her spayed, and I LOVE that dog so much. I just wondred if these were puppy mill breeders trying to make a quick buck on these little guys. I do hope someone takes them and takes care of them, I just hope that if they do come from a puppy mill, someone can shut them down. speaking of, there is a lady that lives about 5 miles from me ( it looks like i live in the country, but in a neighborhood that was built back there and I am about 6 miles in from every direction from the bigger roads, so it is not really the county, but anyway) and she is an older lady and always has a sign in her yard that says puppies $150-200, and it says from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. There are fenced off kennels in her back yard, and I even saw a little secret looking road that goes back there on her property (I found it only because I saw her driving on it) But you can't see really well, I just see overgrowth and kennels. I feel it is suspicious because it is a homemade sign and what the heck kind of puppies is she selling? it doesn't say. What can you do to get someone to check into it?

on a better note, there is a reputable breeder living about 3 miles from em that sells Norweigan elkhounds. i saw some puppies out frolicking one day when I was driving by. supposedly she is a really great breeder to get them from if that is what you want. the downside to this is I can't remember her name. But her dogs are beautiful, i have seen some of the ones she has when i looked them up online. She has a sign in her yard too, but it only says Norweigan Elkhounds in this really beautiful wood that was very tastfully done. If I wanted that kind of dog i would definently check her out.

Debi

Wow..now, I'd be leary of that first lady. Sounds like she is just popping out puppies for cash. Wonder if you could have the humane society sort of spot check her..can you ask that without giving your name?? She may have some very poor conditions. :(

bogolove

Yeah but who do I report her to? the police? the humane society? That is what I don't know. and how do you say it, just tell them what I have seen (the sign, and kennels, etc) and see if they think it is worth looking into? To me it would be, but how do they judge that? I guess they have to look into every report they get.

(edit) oops sorry Serena, I didn't see your link to reporting a puppy mill.

Members online

No members online now.