doggy bedding...

makenzie71

well our three pups are primarily outdoor critters. Right now the cooler and wetter weathers are starting to roll in and I would like to get something in their houses that's friendly to their needs. Before, with the huskies, they were content to sleep in the recliner and couch left out on the porch for their convenience...everythign was covered so they had some nice, comfy, warm fixins all winter. After moving to Lubbock we just don't have that convenience...or neighbor's who'd appreciate us having ratty dog furniture. So now they have a plastic dog house and a couple 55 gallon drums (the beagle gets the house, huskies are minimalists). They've insisted on dragging their blankets out and sleeping in the yard, though...especially Makenzie, who really only shacks up in the bad weather. But now their blankets are filthy and wet...not good bedding, plus it'll attract pests. Makenzie and Buddie, the other husky, also used to sleep on square hay bails in the really cooler weather (hay ferments and heats up as it does), but again, hay attracts pests and it's really, really messy.

One thing I was thinking might be a good idea is ceder chips. They ferment like hay and thus creat a little heat, they repel pests, it's neat, and it's cheap. But it seems like I've heard something about how ceder and dogs don't mix. Confirmation?

Would anyone have any other ideas?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
OOps, Ihartgonzo already gave you the link. Oc has good advice for outside kennels. :)

makenzie71

No dog needs a kennel when he has a yard :)

Thanks though...maybe it was bunnies that couldn't have ceder. That's what I'll be doing.

I will point out that I'm not where OC is...we may see some teens, but even then the huskies are out in the yard sleeping unless it's wet. Couple years back, -22*f, Makenzie would have absolutely nothing to do with being indoors...he wanted me to play with him outside...nuts...

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think OC answered your question though:

It''s a good idea to put cedar shavings in the house during summer because cedar keeps fleas away, gives a nice smell instead of having that doggy smell, provides something comfy for your dog to lie on, and will absorb any moisture very fast if your dog has an accident or he gets wet. In the winter i use a layer of cedar shavings with a layer of straw n top. Honestly straw is the best insulator and if you put enough in the house, your dog will tunnel into it and make himself a nice nest which keeps him remarkably warm and cozy. Some people like to put dog beds or mats in the doghouse, I don;t recommend this because if it gets wet or dirty it''s very hard to clean and dry properly, or you may not even notice it, and then it could get moldy and mold is poisonous to dogs and humans. Remember to change your shavings and straw every 2-3 months.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
hmmm... I was mostly referring to this....

"The doghouse should be insulated for sure. Insulation will keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. It is very important to keep a doghouse raised off the ground so the moisture from the ground doesn''t seep in, cool th house down during winter, and rot the wood. If you attach the doghouse from the outside of the kennel, you won''t take away any of your dog''s floor space. It''s a good idea to put cedar shavings in the house during summer because cedar keeps fleas away, gives a nice smell instead of having that doggy smell, provides something comfy for your dog to lie on, and will absorb any moisture very fast if your dog has an accident or he gets wet. In the winter i use a layer of cedar shavings with a layer of straw n top. Honestly straw is the best insulator and if you put enough in the house, your dog will tunnel into it and make himself a nice nest which keeps him remarkably warm and cozy. Some people like to put dog beds or mats in the doghouse, I don;t recommend this because if it gets wet or dirty it''s very hard to clean and dry properly, or you may not even notice it, and then it could get moldy and mold is poisonous to dogs and humans. Remember to change your shavings and straw every 2-3 months. It;s also a good idea to attach a door to the opening of the doghouse during winter and remove it during summer. The door will help conserve body heat and keep it in the house to keep your dog cozy in the winter, and during the summer, not having it will allow a little bit of windflow to keep the house cooler. The door will also stop snow from getting in the house, melting, and making the inside wet."

Not necessarily the kennel part. Maybe a mix of chips and hay? And change them more frequently, if it attracts pests? It seems that most anything warm outside will attract pests of some sort.

I just don't understand keeping a Beagle outside, in the TEENS. I get that some Huskies prefer the cold (even though all of my Husky friends live indoors)... but a Beagle? With basically non-existant coat? Fozzie has a Beagle coat (probably because he's most likely 1/2 Beagle) and he will NOT stay outside when it's 40* for any longer than it takes him to pop a squat.

Is it so hard to put them in crates inside at night?

ETA: Me and Babyblue think alike! C;

Hehehe thanks girls :D

Also a note, dont use hay! Its SUCKS as an insulator (compared to straw and other materials), isnt very comfortable, and is more apt to be dusty (I find especially alfalfa). Instead, use grainless, dust-free straw. Its the best for outdoor dogs.

Members online

No members online now.