Dogs and children

hildemor

Cavalierfriend
My dog, Mico, is afraid of children, which I really don`t like. Once or twice he has snapped at a child which lead to panic both to the childs parent and myself. Do you have any advice for this problem in general?

Am I the only one who have a scared dog?

Debi

My Hammie is afraid of EVERYONE. He isn't socialized because we don't have any people around us. This is a HUGE problem. I only know that at this point, I'd never let him around a child unless they were just talking to him thru the fence, and I was there. I don't have any little kids in the family, but my panic is IF he ever got loose...this could be so bad if he wondered far enough away to a house with a family. Course, I'd be worried about him near ANY strange person. Do you have children that could just talk to your dog while you supervise? Maybe a little child accidentally hurt him once, and he just needs to see it isn't ALL children. Oddly to me, Addie has never been around people either but she LOVES everyone. I kind of don't understand that. I had Hammie at the gas station with me and I thought he was gonna go crazy. Meanwhile, he is so loving and I've had him since he was 8 wks. old. He was never abused or anything. I know the breeder and he was given so much attention. I just always wonder why he is so totally freaked out when he does see someone new. :(

Cidney

My two Yorkies are not fond of children. The big Yorkie avoids kids as if his life depended on it. The small Yorkie will try to intimidate kids like he is a big dog and once the kid ignores Cidney or act like Cidney doesnt scare them then Cidney leaves them alone. I am extremely watchful when people their children over around my dogs. I do not have human kids so my dogs are not use to small people but then again I wonder sometimes if its the breed.

hildemor

Cavalierfriend
Serena; I`ve seen this tendenses on Mico during the last to years. Some of my cusins have become parents, and since we all share a summerhouse, it is not possible to avoid the children. Mico reacts when the child is coming towards him. he is barking and shows his uncomfortable. So if the child is coming to close he snaps. Even if I`m there to keep it under control. I do not have any children myself, but it may happen someday, and I do not know what will happen at that point. This summer I was in contact with a serious Cavalier breeder. She told me to practice Mico aroung children. let him try to relax, try to trust the child. Try to let the child approach. But I am too scared. I do not want to take that risk. I do not think Mico bites. But who knows, right? Every dog can bite if they are scared enough.

I am waiting a new cavalier puppy in januar, and want to do all I can to make him relax around children. How can I do that while he is a puppy?

sarahlou

Hildemor
My own springer used to be snappy around children due to beigntrapped by one when she was very young. I found that by giving a child that was confident with dogs treats and toys to play with the dog gradually got used to them. does your dog like to play fetch or tug? give the toy to the child, under close supervision and treats also if your dog likes them and gradually the dog shoud get used to the child.
They may then only associate this with the child they are in contact with but you can gradually build on it with other children.
Let me know how you get on!

Members online