What's your favorite breed?

Rae

hehe i know- my parents think i am crazy and obsessed. i say passionate. i saw a piccie of your Saluki in the gallery- gorgeous!

You never know what kind of dog you might fall in love with. German Shepherds were always my favorites, but I was never terribly intrigued with big jowly, drooly dogs with loose skin. Charlie absolutely did NOT like German Shepherds, and after raising Dobies, raised Bull Mastiff and Bully/Rottie crosses. Now he and Bimmer are inseparable, and after we brought our first Fila, Buffy, home, I was a goner on the Filas, drool and all. All I ever had to do was stretch out my hand and that big head was right there. (They really don't drool all that much, not like the Dogue de Bordeaux or St. Bernard)

It's kind of an odd pairing in some regards, but they are both herding breeds, although Bimmer is not 100% Shepherd; he has a small percentage of wolf, which is why he is such a hunter, and I think, has a great influence on some of his odder habits, as well as reinforcing that tremendous sense of responsibility the German Shepherds have. He does an amazing job with puppies, very tolerant and loving, but also a great teacher. The Filas have traditionally worked together, so they're good with other family dogs.

When you look at them, though, they're a completely strange looking pair, especially as Shiva has gotten bigger, and bigger, and bigger!

Rae

cool. how did the wolf thing come across... she's a rescue? and what are those strang habits? i used to have a dog who would sit every time he heard the TV come on.... lol

Bimmer came from an area where there are, for some reason, a concentration of people who breed expensive German Shepherds and their counterparts who breed wolf crosses. Somebody's wolf cross got to somebody else's expensive Shepherd female and the breeder somehow was heartless enough to abandon the four pups.

He's an odd little fellow. He loves to be up high, he's a deadly hunter - like no true Shepherd would ever be, eating his kills, and he is given to all sorts of wild vocalization. Honestly, I've never heard noises like that come from a dog! Hearing him howl will raise goosebumps.

Once he's decided he might accept someone, he'll insist on nuzzling and sniffing their neck; a very "wolfie" trait. He's also very reserved, shy even, and he's always been reluctant to take food from anyone, but since Buffy was poisoned, he won't even take something from my Mom until he brings it to me and I look at it and tell him it's okay to eat.

Oddly enough, he's very good with the cows and goes out to rub noses with the newborn calves. But, like the wolf, he hates the coyotes. Fortunately, he's cagey and smart enough to know he can't handle them by himself. He and Buffy used to terrorize them when they'd dare to come into the pasture! I don't like to think what would have happened if Buffy'd actually gotten hold of one!

It's funny to look at him sometimes. I know why Little Red Riding Hood asked the wolf about his big ears and teeth! And those ears work independently of each other, swivelling around differently like radar dishes, and he can origami them into some strange shapes to tuck them away from harm. He's so funny and so gentle, but when people get a look at his teeth, they tend to look at him a bit differently!
Anyway, I could babble on forever about all the neat and strange things he does. I love him so dearly. I've been inordinately blessed by the German Shepherds - and all the other animals - who have been sent into my life.

Rae

aww! thats so sweet... but she had such a sad and unfortunate beginning to life. we are all glad that she found you. i know that i would probably never be able to live up to the responsibility of owning such a special and unique dog. i hope that you guys live long lives together- keep her away from those coyotes! do you have any pictures of her on this site? i hope i can see them. she must be so special to all of your family, pets and people included.

Bimmer's photos are posted here, along with Shiva's. They're both under Renee750il in the Members Gallery. I know it's not the usual way it works out, but Bimmer, the smaller dog, is the male and Shiva, the MONSTER is the delicate little girl.

Goldens!

I started out with a Doxie 5yrs ago. I adore her. Never thought I would have anything else. I always thought I would never own a big dog. Then 6 months ago I got a Golden Retriever pup. MY LIFE CHANGED! It is my first experiece with a Golden and that is how I got the name "Goldenly Addicted" After getting her at 7 weeks old I went back and got her baby brother. I now have (2) Goldens! If you have never touched one before they are so soft they just melt in your hands. And sweet...very, very, sweet. They think they are babies, even when they weigh 65 lbs! and try to crawl in your lap. Well I could go on and on and on. lol They are just amazing animals! I'm hoping they both become certified as Therapy Dogs to work with children in hospitals and abuse centers.
Renee750il said:
You never know what kind of dog you might fall in love with. German Shepherds were always my favorites, but I was never terribly intrigued with big jowly, drooly dogs with loose skin. Charlie absolutely did NOT like German Shepherds, and after raising Dobies, raised Bull Mastiff and Bully/Rottie crosses. Now he and Bimmer are inseparable, and after we brought our first Fila, Buffy, home, I was a goner on the Filas, drool and all. All I ever had to do was stretch out my hand and that big head was right there. (They really don't drool all that much, not like the Dogue de Bordeaux or St. Bernard)

Goldenly Addicted said:
I started out with a Doxie 5yrs ago. I adore her. Never thought I would have anything else. I always thought I would never own a big dog. Then 6 months ago I got a Golden Retriever pup. MY LIFE CHANGED! It is my first experiece with a Golden and that is how I got the name "Goldenly Addicted" . . .
I have a friend who ended up with a Golden, much like you did, except that Kelsey was a rescued puppy. Kelsey (her Golden) is such a sweetheart and is such a comic. She loves to lay on the couch with her head in someone's lap, but she does something that's very unnerving the first time: Kelsey will be laying there peacefully, then, suddenly, she lunges for her back leg and makes the exact same noises that Chewbacca did in Star Wars right before he attacked something. It sounds like she's getting ready to seriously rip into something. I've watched her do it several times to different people and couldn't help but laugh until my sides hurt. It doesn't matter how calm or how much of a "dog person" the victim is, they all jump and make some sort of hysterical noise when it happens. Kelsey thinks it's all great fun! She rolls over on her back for a belly rub afterwards.

Hi, Golden. I'm glad to hear someone is considering therapy animal certification.

My big Shepherd/Akita mix, Bear, who passed about five years ago, was certified as a therapy animal, along with my big blue cat, Gonzo. It's such a wonderful program. Ours here is through the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, called HABIT and it's humbling to see the impact these animals have on people. Bear and Gonzo and I alternated visits with a runaway shelter and a spousal abuse shelter and there were times that I just had to sit in the car and cry for a few minutes afterwards. I'll never forget the 16 year old boy whose step father had beaten him repeatedly. He took one look at Bear and ran down the hallway to him, slid the last three feet on his knees, threw his arms around Bear's neck and exclaimed, "Oh, if I had a dog like you no one would ever hurt me again!" The counselors said those were the first voluntary words he had said in the week he'd been there.

Goldens typically make fantastic therapy dogs, especially if you've worked with them from a young age on manners and socialization. I hope you get a chance to do this; it will change your life. If Shiva's disposition stays as atypical as it is now, I'm considering trying her with the HABIT program. Filas are supposed to be distrustful of strangers and not allow themselves to be handled by anyone they don't know extremely well, but so far, Shiva's never met a stranger. I've been socializing her like you're supposed to do with the Filas so that they understand what is and is not a threat, and everyone she meets is just another friendly set of hands to pet her.

Manda0304

i have a irish setter lab mix that is so sweet and a female brown and white husky who is so sweet she is only 3 months old honey my irish setter is 10 months and both play great and are good at training and good with other animals and kids and great family dogs that is what i would recomend for a family dog with other animals.

sammie

I have a dobe at the moment but have had GSD'S, my sister has two staffies and another sister has a pomerianian( who is the most fiesty of the lot) but really there is no dog i dislike i do have a soft spot for the border collie :D

Members online

No members online now.