Advice needed on "Alone Anxiety"

alonaalaura

Coconut & Roxstar
I have a 14 month old pup, Coco, who has anxiety whenever she's alone. Whenever I leave her at home alone, she's barking when I leave and still barking when I get home. I'm worried because I share walls with my neighbors and don't want any future complaints.

I recently just adopted a second pup, Roxy, in hopes that it will become a companion for Coco and will relieve some of the anxiety.

Please help :confused:

Hi! I think it was a great idea to get a companion for your dog. I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself. When my dog was having separation anxiety, some people I talked to recommended that we keep a radio on or a ticking clock nearby. These sounds are supposedly soothing for animals.

Try the ticking... Radios don't work, i've been there and done that :(
Hope your succesful, let us know how it works out, My doggie has the same problem as yours

That's a good idea! Anytime we leave clothes laying around, Chili will go curl up on top of them!

alonaalaura

Coconut & Roxstar
Ticking noise - ideas? I'm not sure what will provide a strong ticking noise other than a loud clock. As for the radio - I forgot to mention that I do leave the tv on for her, but that doesn't do the job :(

Millie

I am not sure if this will help. I had the same problem with my lab. What I did was leave for 5 mins and come back. I extended the time over a period of a week. Then he got used to me leaving and coming back right away. As I extended the time he started feeling okay knowing Mom will be right back. I had read somewhere that dogs don't have the same concept of time that we do. If I remember correctly 8 hours to us feels like 3 hours to them. I know this would be hard to do because you probably need to go to work during the day. I was on vacation and I did it for him to get used to having free roam of the house without freaking out and tearing up the place.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
there are these type of things, you might have used them in science at school maybe? its like a device, with a stick that swings across the base, and every time it swings a full motion it ticks. you can adjust the tick time aswell. i supose if you cant find a clock you can use one of those, the tick would be loud enough and its not expensive.if i find out what its called ill post here. good luck!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
patricia mcconnell has a helpful little booklet about separation anxiety called "i'll be home soon". it's only around $7 or so. the ISBN number is 1891767054 if you want to order it at a bookstore, or you can also find it at sites like amazon.

helloim a newbie.and i want to be a dog trainier when im older. i dont know if this will work but hey u can give it ago. well most seperation anxity occurs when the house structure rules have not been in place. for example simple rules like you enter the house first, you eat before the dog always before mealtime, and the most important dont let your dog beg fo attention because this make them domonant. for example your little fluff ball jups up on your lap to get patted this is demanding, insted invite the dog up for a pat when ever you can. this will put structure into the dogs rutine. also befor leaving for the first 3-4 weeks have your dog "sit" or "drop" and stay while you sit and dont talk to the dog then give him the "free" or "ok" command and then leave. i'm not sure if this will work but you can give it ago or otherwise use whats sayed above gook luck let me know how it goes please. :)

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Millie has excellent advice. Leave frequently and shortly to get her used to you going.
Don't fuss over her when you get back, be very matter of fact about it. Also, feed her when you're out. If she's on dry food scatter her entire meal over an uncarpeted area. Alot of dogs will be impatient for you to go if they get fed when you're not there.
I'm not sure this is seperation anxiety. It could be boredom, alot of dogs bark to relieve this. What does she have to do whilst your away?

Staff online

Members online