weimaraner

mrose_s

BusterLove
hi, just wondering about them, anyone got any personal experiences, German_Shepherd_lover, im looking ure way.

the look a lot like GSP's, and u no how i love them
what were they bred 4? weimaraners i mean

Last edited:

Watts

They were originally bred for game hunting such as bore, but then turned into bird dogs, retrieving and pointing. Much like a GSP. Tails were docked because they frequently go through thick brush and injured them. That's what i've read anyway. I have a 6 month old Weim. I absolutely love his temperment. Some people say they are wild and hyper, but mine is just a normal puppy so far. I have a friend who has a couple of Weims as well. Both great dogs. I haven't hit the terrible teenage years just yet, but, that's gonna be coming on anytime now. Everyone i see at the vet and the pet store says, "oh i love your dog, but those are so hyper". I guess just a stereotype. Weims never really grow up, they just grow old. Yeah, they settle down, but never to the point of a lab or something similar. At first i loved the look of the Weimaraner, then i really liked the temperment and personalities. Wrigley is really smart, he catches on to whatever i teach him in about 1 training session.(10min) Whether he does it when i want him to is really his choice though. He's got his own way of doing things, but he minds. I hope i helped a little bit, let me know if you would like to know anymore....

I don't know a ton about them, what they're one of my favorite breeds. I found a gorgeous blue Weim about a month ago. Wanted him so bad, but couldn't adopt him. Luckily he found a different home.

emma_pen

Weims need a tremendous amount of exercise & stimulation, not a breed to be taken on lightly. Beautiful dogs, though.

mrose_s

BusterLove
dont worry, i am aiming on a kelpie too, lotz of excercise will be provided, and i would like a career where i can take them with me

I"m sorry I havn't posted yet but I havn't been on the computer in a while.

My weim is one of the best dogs I've ever had. They have amazing temperments and can stand even my annoying new gsd puppy that constantly wants to play while she tries to sleep :D . They need lots of exersise and brain stimulation to be truly content. They are amazingly smart, she has outsmarted me a few times :p . Most are prone to over eat if given the chance and should have controlled feedings. They are easy to train as long as you don't over do it or they can become less motavated. Overall great dogs and very loveable.

TishaBishaKate

TishaBishaKate
Weims Are Great

Yes, Weims are the greatest! We have had ours for about 4 years. She has turned into such a sweet girl - very intelligent and so funny. They make you laugh every day. We have never been out when someone has not stopped us to say what a beautiful dog she is - and most ask what kind she is because they are not as familar with Weims as they are other breeds. But before anyone gets a Weim, they really need to do some research and decide if a Weim is for them. Lots of energy, exercise, patience, etc. You will find many Weims in a rescue shelter because their owners didn't understand what it takes to be a good Weim parent. They do not like to be by themselves - very, very people dogs! Not to be left outside or in a kennel all day!

If someone is interested in getting a Weim, I would suggest becoming a Weim foster care parent first - no better way for you to find out if a Weim is for you.

Weluvgoldens

Shilo is HERE!
They really are great dogs. My inlaws have 3 of them.

I lived with them for 4 years. They started out with one weimaraner. Then got another one. Then my Father in law was at some guys house and he asked him if he wanted another one. He said sure. I guess the story for the last one was that The guys son got it for his girlfriend. But then they broke up and the son got the dog. Well he didnt want to take care of it (or couldnt) so the father got the dog. Which he didnt want, so thats how my father in law got it.

Although, they do tend to "pass gas" alot! I'll post pictures as soon as I get some scanned.

Forgot to say: If you let them run without a fence or anything, be prepared to have dead game animals on your porch. That and the one dog lets them out all the time. She knows how to open doors. I mean really, the kind of handles that you have to twist...she opens them!

Last edited:

Mines really super aggressive. If not for that fact I would say its a great dog. Mines 3 years old. I'm currently working on getting him less agressive but it seems to be a personality issue with my dog rather than a training issue. (He attacked the vet and the trainer who know how to handle dogs so its not looking good).

Members online