Question

ChiliBeans

I have an almost 2 year-old Chihuahua who weighs about five pounds. I'm a little bit concerned about her right now because, right before I left for work today, she vomited in her pen. She did not behave any differently before the sickness occurred, but I did give her a dentabone. Unknowingly, I gave her one that was not recommended for a dog her size. She did not actually eat it, though. She licked on it a little and then lost interest. I was wondering if just her licking on the bone could have made her sick. I would appreciate comments from anyone who may have some insight. I'm at work, very concerned because no one is home to watch her.

Sometimes they just get upset stomachs. If it was mostly clear and didn't have a foul odor, she may just have drunk too much water too quickly; possibly the Dentabone made her very thirsty.

The question is how did she act after she vomited? If she acted normally, it was probably nothing terribly earth shattering. Just keep an eye on her when you get home and see how she acts. If she's acting "off" or strange in any way that makes you uncomfortable, call your vet's office.

bogolove

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes they also eat on something you are unaware of (believe me- this happens a lot) and then oops the rock or the dirt or the plastic fork, did not agree with their stomach and they get sick. I wouldn't worry unless it happens frequently. Just keep an eye on it and if it happens a lot take her to the vet.

ChiliBeans

I appreciate your advice very much! She seems playful now, and she hasn't vomited anymore. She is acting a little "needy," though, but I think that's because I've been gone all evening. My husband is also not here right now, and I think she's missing him as well. It's amazing how connected pets can become to their owner's emotions!

ChiliBeans

Oh, by the way, I did not introduce myself. I'm the proud parent of a Chihuahua named Chili who is spoiled rotten. She's got quite the attitude, and judging by the way she looks at me sometimes, I wish she could talk to me because I know she'd say some pretty funny things! She's my first pet ever, and I have loved her since we brought her home. I don't know a whole lot about dogs from experience, just from reading and my husband, who has taken care of several pets as a child.

It's great to meet you. I'd also like to commend you for a good choice for your first dog. A Chihuahua can be a grand little dog, especially with an owner who takes the time and effort to teach it not to be snappy. Chihuahuas, strangely enough, like Pit Bulls, have a bad reputation that's really the fault of the owners and bad breeders, not the breed. Well bred, they really have very sweet and loving dispositions, and if not allowed to be possessive and made neurotic by their owners, tend to be well mannered and friendly dogs.

If Chili's not acting "puny" or showing signs of discomfort, she's probably okay and has just eaten something that disagreed with her, or ate or drank too fast, or too much. It's a judgement call, though. If you ever feel that you'd be more comfortable or have doubts, call the vet. A good vet would much rather be called over nothing than not called if there's a chance something might be wrong.

ChiliBeans

Chili is the quietest Chihuahua that I have ever seen. She's not "yappy" like a lot of the ones I have encountered before. She's pretty nervous in new situations, though, and she is very vigilant when one of us (my husband or myself) is not around. She is a sweet dog, and everyone who meets her just loves her!

avenlee

Also, when my dogs have an upset stomache, I would feed them white rice only until the tummy ache subsides. Just a tip.

ChiliBeans

Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of feeding a dog white rice before. That is interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the rice that helps them?

bogolove

Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is so helpful, and we are so glad to have you here. I have never heard of the white rice thing either. So it helps to settle their stomachs?

I've always found that unsalted chicken broth, adding amounts of cooked, white meat chicken, seasoned only with a (very) little sage or a small amount of ginger (good for nausea) added as your dog is better able to hold food, is the best food for a dog with an upset stomach.

We do the white rice thing too, usually with lean ground meat in it too. I had a Lab pup that had stomach problems (turned out to be hookworms, took forever to find them) and he had trouble keeping anything else down. After the worms were gone, it was his favorite thing to eat, period, and would take it over anything else, and I mean anything. It was the only thing he really got nasty about sharing with my other dogs I had later on. We had to feed the other two out of his sight, or he would look at them and make them walk away from their bowls. King does it with Molly now, she looks like she's gonna get it when he suggests "You really don't want that Sis!". Her ears go back and she bails out. I stop him from eating and call her back, and he is usually ok, but sometimes he tries it again and again. Molly has no gumption, and never pushes it.

avenlee

ChiliBeans said:
Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of feeding a dog white rice before. That is interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the rice that helps them?
Just gives them some substance without upseting the stomache anymore. Something they can hold down. And.. I'm talking when they are sick for more than a day and caught some kind of bug/flu.

Members online

No members online now.