Please help

MaxMason

My Ginger Bread Cookie
Hi, My dog Max died Saturday,he had a bad heart and he finally gave out. He was only 6 years old almost 7 next March. I was giving him medicine everyday and never ever missed a day. He seemed fine the night before and my grandmother who I live with and help take care of let him out cause he wanted out. I slept late that day and when I got up I found him dead in the yard, he was a house dog a Golden Retriever and he was always following me around and he even slept with me. This is seriously THE worst pain I have ever felt in my life, I miss him so much and have been crying alot.

I had him cremated and have his remains close to me and I do feel a little better. But I can't help but blame myself in a way cause if I would've been up do you guys think I could've saved him? I don't totally know if he died from a heart attack, but I just figured that's what happened cause of his bad heart. There was nothing outside that coulda killed him and I don't have any rat poisoning or anything like that. I guess I just need someone to talk to, because I know he's with me in spirit but I still hurt alot.

Oh, I am so, so, so sorry. It does hurt so terribly, but you did take good care of him, making sure he got the care and medicine he needed, loving him so much.

From what you've said, his heart probably just wore out finally. He probably asked to go outside because he just wanted to lie down quietly and sleep his way into eternity. When my Buffy died (two years old, from poisoning) she wanted to stay right with me up until her last night. Then she asked to go curl up in the bed in the laundry room where she slept when she was a puppy. I went out the next morning and found that she had drifted off in her sleep.

It does hurt - more than just about anything, but I really believe that they are waiting for us. Keep your heart open, and someday, when the time is right, you'll meet a dog or puppy and you'll just know that this is the one Max has sent to fill your loneliness.

MaxMason

My Ginger Bread Cookie
thanks Renee for the response made me tear up it hurts so much. I was closer to him than anyone else really. When you think about it you spend alot of time with your pets. I just hope he died quick and didn't have to suffer any. I don't know maybe him dyin now preventing him from suffering in the future cause the vet told me there was no cure for this. And I do believe I will be with him again someday. Just finding him lying in the yard was so hard to take, and it just made me feel like I coulda done something. I wish he woulda died in the house or in my bed, but maybe that woulda been more painful. I just hope he knew how much I loved him cause like I had put on his faceplate on his urn... God sent us a Angel and that angel was you. He was seriously my angel

bogolove

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is the hardest thing to lose a pet. It is like a knife right through your heart. He is your angel and he will always be with you. If you need to talk anymore we will be here to listen.

Debi

Don't you fret for a minute.....you did everything and your sweet friend knew it. I'm so sorry for your loss, your pain and sadness. Try to just remember the joy, and know you will be together again one day. (((((HUGS)))))

MaxMason

My Ginger Bread Cookie
Thanks for the responses, I'm still feeling guilty for not being up guess that's just normal dunno. I did call his doctor today and he said there was nothing that coulda been done. I don't think I ever have cried this much in my life, I really miss my Max alot. But least he's in a place that he will never suffer, have to take anymore medicine, and never have to get anymore shots. All I can think about is him, and I'm sooo happy he was in my life.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Please try to remember all the good times you had with Max. My father passed away recently and I know how much it hurts. My pets are my family, too. I know Max is in a good place, at peace, and playing with all the dogs all of us have had in our lives. Don't be hard on yourself; Max probably went outside to go in peace and not have you suffer any longer. He loved you and watches over you now.

i am very sorry about your dog, he died very young and i share your pain!! i too have had a dog very close to me die, his name was hootch and here's my story. we got hootch when he was 14, hi real owner was in the hospital with a kidney problem. his owner died so we were the owners of hootch (my family and i) hootch started to go blind and had very severe autritus. he couldnt walk up or down stairs so that meant he couldnt go outside to go to the bathroom. he pooped all over himself and was just pitiful. finally we had to let him go at the age of 16. we let him live longer thaan we should of. he was suffering and i guess it was his time to go. i still miss him and some times i cry about it. i see pics of him on my computer almost every day.
i share your pain max mason,
dumbchick101 :(

Suemac

Hey dont beat yourself up over not being there if it was a heart attack theres nothin you could have done that you wernt already doing.I lost my old dog who was my best friend about 7 week ago he was 15 old i know but still in my eyes he would live forever,one minuet he was layed next to me having a cuddle then he got down and was sick and started gasping .I rushed him straight to the vet but they couldnt do nothing for him i had no choice but to put him to sleep,it was one of the worst moments of my life i held him so tight when they injected him and just cried like a baby.Your not alone at least you can share your pain here with people who understand
and that will help and just remember all the good times you shared.

MaxMason

My Ginger Bread Cookie
Hey thanks everyone for being here for me, I still miss my baby very very much and always will. But at least my new puppy Ginger has taken some of the hurt away. I still think of him every day and all the time still, but life has to go on and I know I gave him a good life and spoiled him rotten :p. But then again he spoiled me rotten too, I will never forget all the time we spent together and I really miss that. Anyway Ginger is like the total opposite of Max lol, I don't think she's going to be as loving, but then again kinda hard to tell at just 3 months old. She is a terror haha, anyway thx for everyones support it really has helped me alot. :)

Husky626

Thats right sharing stories of Max helps relieve the pain held inside of you. I had a hamster that I loved so much, and he passed away one morning which made me cry even though i had him for 1/2 year, but we bond very close. Well everytime i tell a story of us, it makes me smile beause all the wonderful things we did together and the fun times.

MaxMason said:
Hey thanks everyone for being here for me, I still miss my baby very very much and always will. But at least my new puppy Ginger has taken some of the hurt away. I still think of him every day and all the time still, but life has to go on and I know I gave him a good life and spoiled him rotten :p. But then again he spoiled me rotten too, I will never forget all the time we spent together and I really miss that. Anyway Ginger is like the total opposite of Max lol, I don't think she's going to be as loving, but then again kinda hard to tell at just 3 months old. She is a terror haha, anyway thx for everyones support it really has helped me alot. :)
Max will never be replaced. But you will always have new babies to keep the love alive! I know from experience. When I lost my beloved Yogo a year ago I thought I would never get another dog. I still had my beloved Eli to love, but he missed his "brother' so. So, I sprung a lab from the shelter 5 months later. Now my Eli is sick and dying (lymphoma). Thank GOD for my lab, Hunter now!. I know he's not a replacement for Yogi OR Eli... he's just yet another baby I have to love for the rest of his life. I can't wait for the rainbow bridge reunion with all my babies. It's going to be sweet :)

And Hunter will continue the legacy of Yogi and Eli. Each dog learned from the older dog, and the line will continue on. You'll be able to see Hunter do things he learned to do from Eli, and Hunter will pass some of those things on to the next dog who shares your lives.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I too lost my dog at 7 years. I was angry and felt cheated because he was suppose to be in his prime..I was suppose to have so many more good years with him. I am so so sorry for your loss..his love will always be with you...from your words it is obvious you gave him a loved life. Hold to that, know that you gave him what he wanted most. Smkie

bubbatd

So sorry about Max. It's never easy to lose our best friends. Having had goldens since 1949 I've said too many goodbyes. My hardest was 4 years ago when my beloved Bubba ( people said I should have called him Velcro , he was so close to me) dropped dead from a heart attck with no previous problems. He was a huge golden and was only 10 yrs.old. Luckily I have another golden , but no dog will ever replace what we had together. It still hurts. At least he didn't suffer and make me make the choice to let me go. He did what was best for me, as always.

Members online