How did your furbabies get their names?

Kathy74

I thought this would be fun, as some are very interesting! "Nike" was named by Greg's old roomate. He became "Nutzie" after a few fun cat nip adventures, and because he was unaltered. We also call him "Fatboy" when he's at his "winter weight"! After he became ours, and I got him neutered, we went back to Nike. "Serene" was named by the lady who rescued her from the kill shelter in ND. because she was so calm and quiet (until she came out of her shell of course! Chaos would be more appropriate these days!) but she also goes by Beaner, Bean and Queen Bean! "Jersey" was a tough one...Greg wasn't really ready to get another dog, but I went through a phase where I thought I wanted a baby (thankfully that passed quickly once I had Jersey to nurture!) so he agreed. BUUUUTTTT.....He wanted to pick the name :eek: !! His first choice after we met her was Muddle :confused: , so, home she came and after about 10 min, I knew the name did not suit her! He agreed, and later when he was watching the news, they said something about New Jersey, and he yelled to me "What about Jersey?". I agreed instantly, as Coyote Ugly is one of fave movies, and Jersey is the main characters nickname. Mostly, I call her my Bugaboo, or Buggybear, or just Bug! So, if I ever refer to Bean or Bug, that's my girls! (I don't use Nike's old nickname as I feel it would be mean now that he's neutered!)

We were origionally going to name our Apollo "Wink"...No significance, it just came to mind. but we changed and thought about the name Molson.... Molson sounds like the kind of dog that would wear a bandana, and apollo is definatelky a bandana dog. But then my mom said we had to follow her greek theme. So i looked through a book that told about each of the "greek gods" and i found "apollo" which signifies the god of the sun. And also represents knowledge, creativity and there are a few more but i just can't remember. I can't imagine him being called anything else but Apollo. His nickanmes. "Po" or "P-Lo" Sort of like J-lo, Not sure what spurred that. It just had a good ring to it :D

Bimmer came home with me in the black 750il Bimmer. He's also (mostly) German [Shephard], black, very very fast, and accelerates like a rocket. He's also extremely dependable.

Charley named Shiva, after Shiva the Great Destroyer. He chose the name mainly out of a desire for vengeance on the people who poisoned our Buffy (also named by Charley, after Buffy the Vampire Slayer - notice a theme? LOL) I've got to say that Shiva has done her level best to live up to her name. She's really not all that destructive, and there isn't a malicious cell in her whole big body, but compared to the other dogs both of us have had, she's the Destroyer all right. :D

I named Kharma. That, too, goes back to Buffy. Kharma's mother is a half-sister to Buffy (same mother, Calliope and a different father) bred to Buffy's father, Gamble. Kharma, being the principle (simplified) that whatever you put out in the world returns to you to teach a lesson . . . and besides, there's Good Kharma, Bad Kharma and, in the Beatles' view of the cosmos, Instant Kharma. You should've seen Charley's face the first time she did something to earn some lavish praise. He was petting her and talking to her and all of a sudden he realized he was saying, "Good Kharma" over and over again. He looked so funny, then turned around and rolled his eyes at me and accused me of slipping that one in on him. (ROFL)

LaylaMuddy

Show Quality Weimaraners!
Layla's Show name is - Weeping River's Precious Fair Maiden

Muddy's Show name is - Weeping River's Knight in Shining Armor

Ashanie's Show name is - Weeping River's Beautiful Silver Maple

Shazta's Show name is - Weeping River's Strong Native Rebel

Debi

I named Addie......just cause it's a sweet German name. When I get mad at her, I call her Adeline........she knows she is in trouble.

Hammie's name, Hamlin Cort, is German also. Hamlin means 'loves the little home', Cort means 'courage'......Dave positively HATES that name and usually calls him 'Hammerhead' My son also HATES that name and was amazed to learn that I picked it. When he first heard it he said "oh, did he already have a name?" LOL should have seen his face when I said I picked it!!

Beastlie, the cat is named due to her chronic bad attitude. She truly has never had a happy or even mellow day in her life. She is one nasty little feline! I got her at Christmas, so originally had named her 'Joy'.......that lasted one day. LOL

Carry got his name because he loved to be carried and he responded to it when he was a little puppy at the animal shelter.

Boomer got his name because he had a booming voice. Go figure.

avenlee

Lets see Sadie, my cocker spaniel got her name because I've always loved the name for a dog.

Nora, my Westie, got her name because I was trying to stay with something Scottish. Was a little hard getting used to but it now fits her to a tee.

Fagan, my cat, got his name from my all time favorite musical "Oliver!". He was and is SUCH a sneaky devil. I did change the spelling of Fagin to be different.

Josie the Wonderdog's original name was Keno according to the breeder who rescued her, but looking back at the pound records, her name was originally Kona. Had I known that, I would have retained the name Kona. Whoever named her Kona was either really into Mountain Bikes or Coffee . Kona makes kick-a$$ mountain bikes, and JTWD is colored like a Kona coffee bean.

Regardless...she was named Josie because I love that name and British comedian/actor Josie Lawrence. We had planned to name our (human) baby Josie if it was a girl, but it was a boy instead.

Lotta the cat is short for Lotta Pu$$y, the James Bond character, and because I'm so **** funny.

Moxy the cat is short for Moxy Furvous, a play on words taken from Moxy Früvous, one of my favorite Canadian bands.

Audrey the cat was named that when we rescued her. She's kinda bitchy, so we thought it best not to anger her by an inconvenient name change.

"T" the cat who ran away's full name was Taint, which was a slightly vulgar double entendre/contraction for "Tainted Expressions", which was the tattoo shop's name I had just left when I found her. I had just gotten a black widow inked on my left forearm that day.

-Kev

You guys and your James Bond movies! Charley had a dog named Odd Job for many years. He was the result of an unscheduled mating between Charley's year old Rottie female, Sheree and his wily Bull Mastiff, Joe. Sheree didn't have any milk and the some other things went wrong and Odd Job ended up being the only surviving pup. He was in a box, on a heating pad on top of the washing machine, getting feedings every two hours, you know the drill. While Charley was watching the movie, he heard a thud, went to check on the puppy, and found him wedged between the washer and dryer. He thought the pup was surely dead since it hadn't made a sound, but when he moved the washer, it started scrambling loose. One tough pup! He was immediately christened Odd Job and went on to live a long, happy and very healthy life.

I rescued two kittens about a week apart. I hadn't named the first one, a rangy male tiger when I found the second, a strawberry blonde puff ball of a little girl (who ended up with my Mom). I had to exert my self control very strongly to keep from naming them Lescat and Clawdia. :rolleyes:

My past cats names have been:

Burgess: after British author Anthony Burgess.
Dumbass: an all white stray I had in college. This cat could see fine, but was so dumb it would walk into walls and get it's paws stuck in the floor ventilation grates. It also meowed backwards: "WOEMMMM". No lie.
Buddy: after Blues guitarist Buddy Guy
Einstein: no explanation needed on who, but why? I adopted this stray after leaving a bar when I was maybe 24: it followed me home. At the time I lived in a one BR loft apt that had a bathtub but no shower. This cat used to constantly fall into the tub when I was taking a bath. I had scratch marks on my legs (and some close calls) until I finally moved.
Cracker: another all white kitten I adopted from an "appalacian" family outside a grocery store. At the time my pregnant 120 lb rottie adopted it like a puppy.

Our first cat was Gulliver, a giant ginger who appeared at Buchanan Airfield, where my Dad was the civil engineer, on a planeload of pot from Acapulco. He was a well-traveled cat.

Gonzo, my big Blue, was . . . well, he was just a Gonzo sorta cat. Very chilly character.

Debi

my little Cairn terrior was named Mr. Fleabags. Nope, he never had fleas.....I think it was cause my hubby called him that once and it just stuck. We actually just called him Flea. Do we stink at naming pets or what???!!!!!!!! :)

LOL! That reminds me of what my Mom said one time when we were having an invasion of fleas. She got frustrated one day after Roo, her little Terrier mix, came in from the backyard just crawling with fleas and exclaimed in dismay: "oh, Roo, you're going to give everyone Flea-D if I don't get you into the tub!" It stuck, and forever after, when we find a flea on one of the critters, it's got Flea-D.

As to calling your Cairn Flea, well, you could always tell people you named him Flea after the bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and just sound terribly chilly about naming him. ;)

Kathy74

We had a cat on our farm named Tinker when I was about 5. He was a solid black tom cat...just gorgeous! He was attacked by a raccoon in our yard when he was about 2, and he was very badly beaten. He was so panicked, that he took off before my dad could get him and take him to the vet. My dad explained that in the wild, animals go off to die alone, but we cried and cried for him. A few weeks later, who should come walking up from the bush?! He had healed as best he could..He had lost an eye, part of one ear, and his jaw had been broken, so his bottom teeth stuck out like a very bad under bite, but he was still gorgeous to us! And he started to purr as soon as he saw us. He lived till his eleventh year, and was always very happy and healthy, but since the day he had come back, my dad called him Ningle-ning, and it stuck. No one ever called him Tinker again!

nicco

Wolfpack
I don't really know how we came up with the name "Amira".I just know that before we got her we were so eager to have her...The night before the big arrivel all 3 of us (my mom,my brother and me) picked up a book (it didn't matter what kind) and searched for a name.And seemed that 2 of us got similar names to "Amira" and we thought the name also sounded like her father's name (his name was Pamir).We had no idea that "Amira" ment something...We were one day in the park (I think she was 3 years old then) and I was playing with her and calling her by name.And then a man stopped me and asked me if I knew what it (the name) ment.And I said no.And he said that it means "princess" in arabian.I was so surprized (in a good way) and I thought to myself that "Wow,it fits her so perfectly" (because she really is our princess).
The name for our first cat comes from the general Nestor (he was an important man in history or something like that lol) because he is a little like a bully when I play with him (he bites for real)...my mom named him.I didn't like it but I got used to the name.
And our second cat was named (by me :D ) after the character "Smeagol" from the movie Lord of the rings (I guess I'm not the only one lol).
Nicco :cool:

Members online