Choosing a Vet

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
As many of you know, I am about to get a puppy :D . So I need to choose a vet. My friend keeps telling me the vet they have at petsmart is great but I'm a bit suspicious. Is it really a good vet :confused: ? Also does anybody know a good vet around the Miami, Fl area? Thanks for your help :) .

bubbatd

I would personally try to connect with a dog Clinic that has been in the area for a number of years. I may be wrong, but I feel the Pet stores hire new vets that can't get into good clinics. Yes, they may be cheaper for shots etc, but I like to establish myself with a clinical vet who will take emergency calls and one I can trust if there's a real serious medical problem....your Petsmart vet may have moved on in 2 years, stay with old establishments .

Invisible

I agree with Grammy.

I would feel much safer taking my pup to a vet that has been there for a while and I can get information from previous clients of his than go to someone that might not even have been there for too long. Plus I would be worried about the petsmart people just wanting the money....but that's just me.

bubbatd

Thanks ! I've been only to 2 clinics. One in Muncie Indiana and one here in indy. Both go back to the 40s.............I feel ( felt ) at each that I could trust any vet there. At both, when a routine visit, I'd make sure to take any vet I hadn't met yet. That way I met and knew every vet for any emergencies. I felt each vet should know my dog and me in case I had a real problem.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
beagle_lovergirl said:
Okay so Petsmart is a nono?
A petsmart vet gave me some awesome advice and it worked so... I'd say they know their stuff...

But I'd look around the area... search on the computer, yellow pages, everything... some vets will rip you off, like I was.

But if you look hard enough you can find a vet that has amazing prices and amazing veterinarians... like I finally did. Good luck! :)

bubbatd

To me all depends if you want to associate yourself with a vet you can trust for the life of your dog, or wing it with each problem. ElinHunter and I go to the same vet...when I was taking care of him when he was so sick and she was overseas, it was good to talk to the vet, who knew me and her , the night before he died. He called me when he heard of his peaceful passing. It's just nice to know your vet cares. I'd be interested to know if any of the Petsmart vets go above and beyond in these cases. If so, I give them Kudos !!!

Members online

No members online now.