Swimmers???

Athe

Renee750il, with the Newf's they are breeding for CKC and AKC show are being bred with conformation that's not proper for the job they were intended for, and they are certainly not proper conformation for swimming. Sometimes what happens is a big beautiful dog starts doing all the winning, then every one else tries to breed for the same look. The dogs I own have done fantastic in the show ring and my male was specialized, they all got their championships in 3 countries very quickly. When I look at them I see poor conformation (I'm not going to complain too much as I got the dogs for free and the breeder takes care of all expenses, can't get a better deal than that :) ). The only thing that concerns me is that once you start breeding without the proper behavior conformation for the shape of the dog, the breed as a whole starts to fall apart. I have seen Newf's that have coats so long they resemble Afghan Hounds! some of the Newf's you see in the ring are completely scissors all over. One of my Newf's has proper length coat, my girls have too much coat,much too long and poofy...but, it's what is winning.
Hope that explains it a little. There are still some breeders who are still breeding for proper conformation but sadly they are not winning in the show ring.

The same thing has happened to the German Shepherd, the Doberman, the Rottweiler . . . the list could, I'm sure go on and on. It's happening as we speak to breeds like the Border Collie, the Collie, the Australian Shepherd . . . The true Fila people will fight tooth and nail to keep our dogs from being recognized by the AKC and its like. I dread seeing what is going to happen to the Neopolitan Mastiff since its recognition.

bubbatd

It's sad....I noticed this in the 80s with the Goldens.....shorter legs, etc etc. I read a report of a Golden judge that really put this down too. She hated the shorter gait, cut flags etc etc....did my heart good !

Athe

I heard the border collie club made quite a fuss when the AKC first tried to recognize the breed. They drug their heels the whole way knowing that the kennel clubs would ruin the breed. I was talking to a lady who was showing down the States, the judge put a border collie with a square head up. She went up one side of him and down the other :) she said a border collie should not have a definite stop etc. etc. I was quite proud of her for supporting her breed and making sure the judges don't ruin it.

I think we have to rethink a few things when showing. Make sure the dog still has the proper behavior conformation to go with the shape of the dog. Put the dog through some breed field tests.

I have a border collie. She is a rescue. If I were going to purchase one from a breeder (which, BTW, I wouldn't), I would be looking for a working BC, not a show BC. They were bred to herd, they are herding dogs. They don't need to be gorgeous, they already are. Show dogs should also be what they were bred to be.

yanya

My little Corgi loved to swim last year, but this year she only jumps on the ring of the pool for a quick drink and then hops down.

nicco

Wolfpack
My great dane loves to swim.But she only swims if I'm in the water too_Otherwise she just goes a little with her feet and then back to me :D
I don't know if it's true but I've heard that corgies and bassetts and dogs like this don't swim very well and they might even drown because of their little legs and big bodies...
Kiss Kiss
Nicco

My friend's PitBull loves to go swimming in Lake Erie when they go out on Grandpa's boat. They throw the ball, and he goes and gets it. If they don't toss it, he takes the ball from person to person and bugs them until they do. He doesn't swim well at all though. Not enough blubber to float at all, and the feet don't move a lot of water. Grandpa's black Lab is a rocket compared to him in the water, and gets the ball first 100% of the time. The pit swims up to him and takes it out of his mouth and brings it back to the boat. He never seems to tire of the game. He caught a Walleye one time while swmming. It wasn't very big, but he sure was proud of himself.

frznbuns

I have 3 dobermans. Raven the oldest likes the water. She is a good swimmer and loves the water hose. Spirit will swim if he needs to fetch something but otherwise does not like water. Gypsy can't swim a lick!! She will go into the water to play fetch but only if she does not have to swim.
All three hate the rain!! Even if it is drizzling a little. I think that they think they are going to MELT!! :D LOL I have had to hold an umbrella over them to get them to go potty as I am getting wet! Oh well, that is a Dobie for ya! :D
Now my nephew has a yellow Lab that is about 15 months. You can't get into the pool without her trying to SAVE you. She thinks she is the only one who can swim!! She has been doing this since she was 4 months old.

Last edited:

kirby

thats great ha ha ha! I just took my pup swimmin fo rhte first time on saturday, he's 12 weeks and is a natural, he did a great job, but i hear that heeelers are really good swimmers :D

Sprout

Brussels Griffon
Just get a young pound dog and introduce the water to them when theyre young, it really depends on the dog :)
But Golden Retreivers like to, if youre looking for some 'pure' dog or something

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My dog loves swimming and playing in puddles but hates baths. Maybe it has something to do with the porcelain in the tub, I don't know. It took him a while to get him used to the water, almost a month's worth of going to the lake 2x a day before he realized he could swim. Now I can't keep him out of the water!

Renee/Fila: From what I've heard, the ASCA fought long and hard to keep the AKC out of the breed and succeeded up until the early 90's. Now there is a definite distinction between working lines and show lines and it's stupid. The dog that moves "right" in the ring would be worthless in the pasture and the heavier, longer coats and bone structure contribute to that. Not to mention the color affair people have with merles now; it's loooong been a standard coat color, but a lot of the BYB's and puppy mills havn't figured out that breeding two merles = lethal whites. There are too many blind or deaf dogs in rescue these days because of it.

Staff online

Members online