Yes!

Fran27

I convinced my husband to get another dog :D I can already hear our family thinking we are crazy and all, as we are trying to get kids too, but I know that I want a companion for Boris and as I'm not working nor busy right now it's the best time to get another I think... And Boris likes other dogs so much!

I went to the SPCA and there was a cute 8 months collie there, she was totally adorable, licking my fingers through the cage and all. But once we took her out of the cage, she didn't seem interested in people at all :( Plus she had a bad eye infection, I really don't like that shelter because they pay no attention to animals' health :( And they didn't know anything about her either. We brought Boris and she didn't seem interested much in him, so we decided not to get her.

So I decided to go through a rescue, because I don't feel comfortable getting a dog that nobody knows anything about... I've been mixed between getting an adult or a puppy, as I am nervous about going through the whole puppy thing again, but there is that adorable puppy posted from a rescue not far from here, so I couldn't resist and posted an application... Cross your fingers for me! I guess if it doesn't work I will look for a 6+ months old dog.

Irish

Good luck Fran! I'm doing the exact same thing right now! I'm looking at a 3 year old male collie right now and waiting to hear back from his foster mom. Hope you find your heart dog! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I know it is hard when you go to the shelter but don't judge them too harshly at first..maybe you can stay for quite a while and if they let you outside you can sit and have a visit. I had already made up my mind before i even met Victor..i had a "hunch" and i was going to follow it thru..which is a very good thing for him for if i had judged by his first impression (or even the first few weeks) i would have turned him down. He was over excited, flailing legs and rubbernecking everything in site..not much attention to anything or anyone ( i thought i had an adhd dog at first, besides he smelled terrible and was all ribs plus much much worse then he looked in his picture on petfinder..i still loaded him up and took him home. I questioned my sanity for the first two months..still failing legs, and extreme need for attention, jumping on everyone constantly. Now you couldn't pay me enough to take him away. He is everything i knew in my heart he would be and so much more. He had been in a dog pound for the duration and was taken from there to another kennel. A ruff ruff start for a 5 mth old puppy. He wouldn't eat for the first two months as well and i stuffed him with nutrical at every opportunity. Now everyone asks me WHAT KIND OF DOG IS THAT HE IS OUTSTANDING..and yes i am proud when i take him to the dog park and see him run..he makes all the other dogs look clumsy, and retreives over and over again..he is awesome. follow your heart to the right dog..i hope you get one as fine as my boy.

Fran27

I know Smkie :( Lots of them are so lost. This one was just there for a day, people brought in three of them and nobody knew why. Maybe because they were sick and they couldn't afford to pay the vet, who knows.

I took her for a walk for 15 minutes or so, she just didn't care about me at all. I volunteered at that place for 2 weeks a year ago, gave up because it was just too hard for me as I wanted to bring all of them home, but the ones I walked were at least looking at me at the time. I know that maybe it was because she was so disturbed to end up here, but maybe she just wasn't a social dog, I just didn't want to take the risk (plus, that shelter has got lots of problems with pets dying after being adopted, so seeing as she was already sick, and people only noticed when I made a comment about it, I didn't want to put Boris at risk either).

I feel bad, because it's not the dog's fault at all, I just need to do what's best for us and Boris. The rescue I contacted is amazing, the dogs have vet records, they are in foster homes, if there is something wrong in the next days after adoption they take care of it, and of course they have an idea of the temperament of the dogs. They are more expensive, but it's really worth it. I'm just hoping that they will accept my application, they have other dogs I would definitely consider, but I really like the one I applied for. So I just have to wait and see.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Fran27 said:
Update! I got a call, and it's set, I pick him up next Saturday :D

Oh, here's his info

http://www.delawarepuppyrescue.com/animals/detail.php?AnimalID=6948
Super Fran!! :)

What a doll! I know you mentioned having mixed feelings about going through the "puppy thing" again, and just wanted to say I felt the same way when we adopted Holly from a rescue. We went to look at a 1 1/2 year old JRT, but he had just been adopted... and they suggested our Holly (Rat Terrier) that was only 14 weeks. My (no puppy mind-made-up, was screaming NO, NO, NO!!!) by of course my heart was saying YES, YES, YES!!!! My heart "usually" wins out... and Holly was such a SURPRISE!! Even from 14 weeks (she was 1 yr. old April 2nd) I can count her potty accidents on "one" hand... and she was an 1/8th of the work our JRT Lucy was as a puppy! In fact, I forgot most of her first year that Holly WAS a puppy! :D

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
He is very very cute!! I would have taken him in a flash too!! :D
Congrats on your new family member! Will you keep the name Paws?

Members online