Hot Hot Hot... how do ya keep em cool

siemens716

Renee750il said:
I would think your Ridgeback would be well suited to the southern California climate. One of the reasons we chose the Filas over, say, a Tibetan, is because the summers here are hot and muggy.
Anything above 80 degrees and he's in the shade. My Giant is the same.

luvmydogs

Dogs only sweat from their mouth's and palms of feet. Shaving a furry dog will actually make it worse for it.

The coat acts both ways, in cold it keeps the heat in, in hot it keeps the hot out.
<<<<<WOW I NEVER KNEW THAT!!!!

poeluvr

Summer Magic said:
Magic has an eight hundred acre pool in the front yard and won't go near it. I like the idea of a fan on her tho, I'll give that a try.

This is a picture of what I see from my front yard

glad i could help

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
We've kept Misha's coat short, she's on her second trim this year, and we make sure she has plenty of water. I'm trying to walk her earlier and later in the day, but if I can't I keep the walks a little shorter.

poeluvr

yea thats what i was going to do not that he goes on long walks anyway we;re lucky if we can get 10 metres from our house( since hes a pup)

Amstaffer

When I was in College I bought a cheap mobile home....well when summer came it was really really hot in it without a/c ....so i filled up the bath tub and put Athena in it every hour or so. She keep fairly cool that way....but it was really messy, wouldn't do that in a nice house.

Cidney

My two Yorkies wont listen when I try to tell them its too hot for their walk everyday when I get home from work. They yap and yap at me until I take them, there is no use reasonning with them over it. SO here is what do before I walk them. I take the water hose outside and lightly spray water on them, I dont soak them, just get them wet enough so they will stay cool during our walk and it seems to help a lot!

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
I get a big plastic bowl (one that will fit in the freezer)
Then chop up some carrots (leave some bits quite big so they sink because the smaller bits will float) and other treats,
then fill the bowl with water
pop the carrots and treats in
and freeze it
then turn the bowl out in the garden and they will go at it for ages and it really cools them down, just like a big ice ball lol

and when we go the beach i usually take a spare towel and soak it in the sea for the journey home just incase he gets a bit warm
or any hot day i will get a cold wet towel and drape it over them.

Chyna will lay in the sun even if there is shade nearby...go figure...and I know she's hot. I fill a big tupperware container with water and put her in it, get her all wet and it cools her right off. She has just now gotten to the point where she will walk in it and stand in it by herself. I wanted to get her (and me...haha) a plastic kiddie pool today but they were sold out.
I give her ice cubes too...she scoots them around on the floor like a cat chasing a toy and when it gets small enough, she eats it.

Pam

siemens716 said:
Anything above 80 degrees and he's in the shade. My Giant is the same.
LOL! Of course he does! Part of being well-suited is having the good sense to find shade, isn't it? Mine have some favorite shady places where they turn the dirt underneath until they get some cooler dirt to lie on - usually after they've taken a dunk in the wading pool so they get nice and muddy underneath :rolleyes: At least Bimmer's taught them to wash up before coming inside ;)

Renee750il said:
LOL! Of course he does! Part of being well-suited is having the good sense to find shade, isn't it? Mine have some favorite shady places where they turn the dirt underneath until they get some cooler dirt to lie on - usually after they've taken a dunk in the wading pool so they get nice and muddy underneath :rolleyes: At least Bimmer's taught them to wash up before coming inside ;)
Exactly. many people think that just because its an African dog it can be in the sun when its very hot, but the truth is he's just adapted to finding cool places.

One time we were on a beach and teh sand was super hot, well he decided that he need not burn his paws so he just sat down on his behind with his paws in the air. Not sure if this has ANYTHING ( :) )to do with instinct, but it one of the funniest things I have ever seen him do.

Members online

No members online now.