aggressive pup help

harlow2137

snugglesbella

Hi i have 3 pups. 2 male shih tzus and one pom. All was well until a couple of weeks ago. my 6 month old shih tzu is suddenly very aggressive and
is getting worse. He seems to be very protective of me. He only fight with the other shih tzu male. I am very worried and dont know what to do. He even bit my daughter on the leg for no reason. I have to seperate them.

I really dont understand because he never bothers my female pom. Its to the point i cant even take a chance and go near my year old shih tzu . For fear he might hurt him. I love him very much but cant take it any more. He is very sweet but i have to constantly wonder when he will get into one of his moods. He wants me and only me which would be fine but when he is starting to nip my daughter and go after my other guy i dont like it. I treat them all the same and dont know what else to do. If he continues this behaviour i will have to get rid of him. Normally i would never do such a thing but cant take a chance. I love him very much and my heart is broken. I have known 8 shih tzu and he is the only one that is a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heartbroken and confused...

thank you
janine

Louie

I'm so sorry, this is a heartbreaker. I really don't have any advise. I was wondering are they neutered? Maybe it's a dominance issue, the aggresive one trying to establish his place in the "pack" over the other one. Who do you feed first? The aggressive puppy or the other one? Maybe he just needs re-assurance of his "place" and you could do that by making sure he is always the first one fed, when you come home from being away make sure he's the first one greeted, then you can feed and greet the other puppy....this will assure him of his "place" in your pack. Hope this helps.

Hmmmmm... toughie. I'm not sure this will work (because I sorta suck at advise, you should ask Renee)but maybe if you played with your other male shih tzu and ignored the aggressive puppy until he was nice again,IOW only play with him if he's nice,if they're just puppies then you could take the other one away before he hurts him and punish him

I'm not very confident of this,but I hope it helps.

I think Soccerwoofer's right on track. I've never used crates for my big dogs, but with a small dog, a crate would probably be just the right thing to give your aggressive pup a "time out." When he starts exhibiting the wrong behavior, just whisk him up, scold him, and put him in his crate, then totally ignore him for awhile. If he goes to sleep, just leave him in there until he wakes up.

Part of the problem may very well be that he is beginning to approach puppy puberty; he may also be more of an alpha dog by nature, but he has to understand his position in the family - behind you and your daughter. Your other male may indeed be a more submissive dog and may be perfectly content as a follower instead of the leader, but you're right in not allowing the younger dog to bully him.

If you haven't already, or don't have plans to as yet, it may be that he will need to be neutered. After all, if his hormones are that over the top, he's not going to be a happy contented little dog no matter what his situation is, and the disposition won't be one you want to pass along to another generation, anyway.

Keep up posted; we're all pulling for you.

Manda0304

harlow2137 said:

Hi i have 3 pups. 2 male shih tzus and one pom. All was well until a couple of weeks ago. my 6 month old shih tzu is suddenly very aggressive and
is getting worse. He seems to be very protective of me. He only fight with the other shih tzu male. I am very worried and dont know what to do. He even bit my daughter on the leg for no reason. I have to seperate them.

I really dont understand because he never bothers my female pom. Its to the point i cant even take a chance and go near my year old shih tzu . For fear he might hurt him. I love him very much but cant take it any more. He is very sweet but i have to constantly wonder when he will get into one of his moods. He wants me and only me which would be fine but when he is starting to nip my daughter and go after my other guy i dont like it. I treat them all the same and dont know what else to do. If he continues this behaviour i will have to get rid of him. Normally i would never do such a thing but cant take a chance. I love him very much and my heart is broken. I have known 8 shih tzu and he is the only one that is a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heartbroken and confused...

thank you
janine
Hi,
we had 3 pups and one was a male and was very tempermental.
my dad has typ of terrier and we've kept her for every time he goes out of town and shes never bit and now we kept her this time and she seriously bit my friend and bit my 2 sisters i have no clue why if your giving all of them same attention we gave her same attention as the others to so i cant think of anything to do either when she comes so i cant give you addvice because i need advice to and i dont know any advice on this because usaly a dog only does this if
there in pain
not geting enough attention or being abused which i know i never abuse and you dont so i'm not sure but i hope you dont have to get rid of her.
if i seek any advice from anybody i will let you know most defently!.
Mandi

Members online