What's the deal?

ohmai

My adult 5 year GSD is starting to pee in the house again. He had been perfectly house trained for the longest time. Up until the last time my puppy came to visit him, and peed around the house, he started peeing around the house too. How come he just forgot all his housetraining?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
He might be trying to make sure everyone knows it's "his" territory. He probably wants to make sure there is no other dog's scent in his house.

Saje

Island dweller
It could be a urinary tract infection or him protesting to some change in his life. Is he neutered?

oriondw

user not active
He's probably, if he's dominant, just spraying his territory. Meaning he thinks house is his and not yours. Good luck with that :)

Athe

Have the dog looked at by a Vet before making an assumption it's a behavior problem. Take the first void in the morning,take it into your vet for a urinalysis.
Also, make sure the voids the puppy has made has been cleaned up throughly with vinegar and water. Most dogs will pee over top of another dogs pee, it's not dominance, it's basically communication. All of my dogs will stop and sniff another dogs urine mark and urinate over it. They do it to each other all the time...outdoors of course ;)
Always give a dog a chance to express itself when out on walks. Encourage this outdoors only. You can even have a spray bottle ready to spray him next time you catch him in the act of trying to urinate indoors. Then quickly take him outdoors and praise him when he goes outside. :)

mrose_s

BusterLove
i would go with the territory thing, is he peeing where the other dog is peeing? Our sophie pees over the top of daisy pee and buster over hers, so we end up with puddles everywhere, luckily they are all housetrained

GSDFan05

Is he neutered? I agree with the opinions about it being territorial, even if he's not aggressive with the puppy he can still want to assert his dominance, and right now he's feeling the need to 'mark his boundaries' and re-establish his turf. Some un-neutered dogs will do this too, but it's more of a problem with intact males.

The behavior may stop on its own once he's more comfortable in his position as The Dog, lol but to be proactive you could start over with the housetraining basics, take him out very frequenltly and pile on the praise and treats when he uses the bathroom in an appropriate place.

Do rule out any kind of urinary tract infections. It's entirely possible that the pup might have brought one! Other than that, it probably is just marking over where the pup had the audacity to pee in HIS home. Kind of like if someone came into your home and rearranged your furniture to suit themselves without consulting you. You'd change it back . . .

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
It is probably nothing to do with territory. Sometimes dogs pee simply because they smell pee. Even though we can't smell it it stays for a long time! This happened with my kelpie, May. Our chihuahua had an accident and may decided that it was allright to pee in the house.

ohmai

Yes, he is neutered. I don't know whether he stopped yet, I hadn't had tme to go and visit him recently. I hope he stopped, I think it was a territory thing now too. My mother is getting frustrated that our 5y/o is peeing in the house again!

One thing that's going to help a great deal is getting a good odor removing cleaner and making sure you get all the spots.

Even neutered German Shepherds have a great sense of what is their property and it just gets to them when someone comes in and leaves their scent.

Members online