Started the Horsemen on raw

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
They boys have officially started raw! I've started them on chicken leg quarters. Voodoo is still his usual dainty self....eating teeny-tiny nibbles at a time. And get this. Voodoo is actually squeamish about touching raw meat! He refuses to use his paws to hold the chicken quarters. The one time he tried, he yanked his paw away and shook it: "Ewww, gross!" LOL, weird dog. :lol-sign: It takes him forever to finish one meal.

Zeus is loving it. He's eating without a problem. But I don't know if he chews well enough. He'll bite off a HUGE mouthful (pieces hanging off either side of his mouth), crunch and chew for a while, then swallow in one big gulp. I've had no problems so far, but I don't think I'm going to give him anything smaller than a chicken quarter: no chicken necks, wings, or legs, for example.

But I can't believe how little they're eating. Each dog gets one chicken quarter a day. That's it. They refuse to eat more. Granted, they're very couch-potato dogs, but I expected them to eat a little more for their size.

So far, so good!

Doberluv

Good to hear Gemp. Keep us updated. What are you going to feed them tomorrow? Do these chicken let quarters have skin on them too? Did they crush up the bones well? That's hilarious that Voodoo won't touch it with his feet.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Yes, I gave them the entire quarter, skin and all. The quarters I buy also have a section of backbone attached. They crunched up the bones just fine.

I'm keeping them on straight chicken quarters for a week, just to be sure there's no tummy upset. And while I want to give the boys veggies, I think the 40% veggie diet I've seen on some raw models seems rather excessive. Instead, I've made a soft food of various organs and assorted ground-up veggies (more veggies than organs), and they love it. I'm going to give them that for one meal a week. I figure that the point of raw is balance over time, and I think that will work well.

Melissa_W

Cool! I can't wait to start... I've been reading up. The bag of food we just bought will be the last for Kai.

Brattina88

I'm glad to hear that they're doing well so far! I'm doing my research, I'm just waiting for my next paycheck :eek: lol (and them to eat some of their last bag of dog food up)
I still "trust" the EVO (that's what they're on now) but I think that if I can provide better for them, I should.
And with the dog food recalls I'd feel a lot better knowing exactly what's in my dogs bowls ;)

There's a lot of information! Need to sort and process and apply to me and my dogs, you know?

DanL

Sounds like you have a good start. Since they aren't active and are full grown, around 2% of their bodyweight per day should be a good place to start for figuring out how much they should be eating. Both your boys are pretty big, I don't think a leg quarter that might weight a little more than a lb. or so would be enough.

mrose_s

BusterLove
buster is pretty squirmish about meat. really doen't like it. sometimes you hand it to him and he spits it out like he wants to gag. lol. or if you throw a neck to him he jumps back looking terribly embarreseed. lol

he doesn't eat much either. he keep his own weight under control by just not eating till he's full.

Members online