Good and bad dog foods

Invisible

I was thinking since so many people seem to want to know what dog food brands are good and what are bad you could make a sticky of it.
Like make a list of recomended dog foods and bad dog foods?
Just an idea :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I like Eagle Pack and Innova myself. They are good dog foods, or so everybody says on this site. It may be a little hard to find them (they probably won't be at your local petsmart or petco) but the drive is worth it. My dogs coats have never looked better. When we got our boy Mack he had horrible dandruff and he shed uncontrollably! Now that we put him on the Eagle Pack the dandruff is gone and the shedding is at a mimium. Our other Lab puppy, Hannah, also gets Eagle Pack. I've noticed that her coat has gotten a lot softer than when we first got her. Our husky is on Innova. The only real thing that I have noticed about her on that food is her breath had gotten A LOT better. Before she came to us she was on a strictly canned diet and her breathe was HORRIBLE, now we can atleast be licked in the face without getting disgusted.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Bad dog foods are Iams, Purina, Eukanuba, Pedigree. Lots of the commercial dog foods sold at supermarkets are not as nutritionally sound as the higher quality. Also Science diet is bad too. I get that stuff from my vet EVERY time I go in there! I'm not sure if EVERY grocery store food is bad, but many are.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i don't have a list of "recommended foods" on my site.

the reason is that i'd much rather teach the reader how to identify a good or bad product than just having people look at a list and buying one of the foods on it just because "i said so".

the whole dog journal sets a negative precedent there. you see their "recommended foods" list crossposted allover the internet, but you barely ever see the accompanying information explaining why food X, Y or Z is better than others.

of course you also don't get to ssee how they are not even following their own strict criteria from a few years ago anymore, but that is an entirely different rant. lol

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I've used Eagle Pack and it is REALLY good! It is a little bit expensive but the dog does not require as much of the Eagle Pack as he would a grocery store dog food so the bags of food last longer. You might have to drive a little bit but it is worth the drive, I think. I really like Eagle Pack.

GSDFan05

It sounds corny, but Chicken Soup for the Petlovers Soul dog food is suposed to be really good, as is Innova and Canidae.

Don't touch Ole Roy! Really anything they sell at Wal-Mart should be a no-no.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
chicken soup looks nice on paper but doesn't even get close to the quality level of high end foods like innova, canidae, eagle etc.

GSDFan05

Mordy said:
chicken soup looks nice on paper but doesn't even get close to the quality level of high end foods like innova, canidae, eagle etc.
Thanks, I have been trying to decide between Chicken Soup an Canidae for my new dog, after your comment I think I'll go with Canidae, I appreciate the advice. :)

candy722

How about Solid Gold. I've tried all the good food but now Im thinking about switching toki to Solid Gold. I looked at the ingredient and it didn't look too good. Any suggestions?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
solid gold makes nice foods overall. ingredient quality is good, but in my opinion most of their foods are too low in fat for healthy dogs, and the meat content could be better too. however, their formulations are excellent for dogs with allergies to some common ingredients.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
anything wrong with the innova? solid gold is definitely a downgrade from that!

TishaBishaKate

TishaBishaKate
Wellness Dog Food

I just started my Weim on Wellness and after 3 weeks she has decided she won't eat it. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their dog not liking a certain dogfood.

showpug

In response to the Solid Gold comment...I agree, after feeding Solid Gold for years, I have found that some of the others are better just for the reason on FAT. Solid Gold, with the exception of their new food for little pooches called "Just a Wee Bit" is too low in fat and they do not pull much fat from animal sources so it is not as readily available to the dog. I like foods that include high quality animal fat in their ingredients and solid gold uses more flax oil and stuff like that. I prefer Innova EVO and Canidae for my pooch-a-roos!! :)

Athe

My biggest concern with foods is variety. My favorites are feeding raw with plenty of variety, and kibble mixed with canned.
My favorite Kibbles (available to me) Wellness, Solid Gold, Natura products, Natures Recipe, Eagle Pack. For canned and kibble I like switching my protein sources around and I like a vareity in case my dogs are missing something or getting too much of something. I switch every 3-5 months, always serve canned with the kibble. I try to make the evening meal a raw meal so its not as hard to process in the digestive tract. My holistic vet told me that for dogs that are prone to bloat an evening meal of raw foods is a wonderful idea. :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
nature's recipe? that doesn't really fit in that line-up of brands at all. it even contains generic animal ingredients like poultry fat, animal digest and so on.

Athe

Mordy: nature's recipe? that doesn't really fit in that line-up of brands at all. it even contains generic animal ingredients like poultry fat, animal digest and so on.
Sorry, I meant Natures Variety! I just got some in...my mistake being half asleep lately. :)

Members online