What Does Your Dog Do?

What Work Does Your Dog Do?

• Total voters
Lately I have noticed a growing trend in working dogs on the forum which is fantastic! Im so proud of you guys! LOL I dunno if this has been done before on this forum, but I thought itd be fun to have a little poll regarding who does what with their dog, who actually works their dog. :D

As you guys already know Im actively involved in pulling sports with my two (dogsledding, scootering and rig running) and am currently starting weight pulling with Ronan. I have also taken serious bacpacking back up.

BTW Im talking about serious work, not just training in obedience or doing therapy stuff...actual physically and mentally demanding work...

mrose_s

BusterLove
i'd like to. does that count? lol nah. buster just isn't driven enuogh to do anything too strenuous. but he's a good dog to practice training techniques.

considreing herding with him. but i don't want to make him mad.

in future, yes, definetly going to be doing a lot of serious work with my dogs but right now, no.

A

Angel Chicken

So far, Kona hunts rabbit and quail, does agility, and is beginning flyball. We just started our 3rd private agility course tonight :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm making an appointment for a herding clinic at the end of this month, provided I can afford it, but Sawyer's job is to be Daycare Referee. And I'm totally serious about it too...even the other employees love having him out there, because they know he'll keep the trouble makers in line and let some of the new kids know the rules of the land. Daycare is just a little easier with him out there.

We're also going to take agility back up in a bit as well; the equipment is still being assembled at our north resort.

shazbot

not so newby
Well my guys all go backpacking with me...not sure that's a job though...and does couch surfing count to ;). I really want to get a puppy and get involved with therapy work.

adojrts

Great thread!!
I am very pro working dog. My dogs actually wear a few different hats, I love them to be versatile. They hunt (actual earthwork to live wild quarry in a natural setting), agility, JRT racing, Lure Coursing and Tracking (National Champion for Tracking in JRTCC) showing in conformation as well and Rally.
Plus they are our bed bugs and love to cuddle. I love to do different things with my dogs all the time and they seem to thrive on it.
lol Last year at a friends place where they train Reterviers, they launched one of those ducks (not the real thing but something with feathers etc)
I set Petie up in a stay, gave him the line and sent him. You should have seen the looks on their faces as he took off, launched into the water, swam across the very large pond, found the *duck* and brought it back to me!!!! finishing with a proper -right finish!! AND giving up the *duck* without a problem. lol not bad for a 13 inch dog (a jrt to boot!!) that has never been formally trained to retrieve.
Again great thread love hearing about other working dogs and their people.

Take care
Lynn

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Other: Sits around all day and basks in the sun. Though at least one of them is useful. She's a pretty good guarddog.

I do eventually want to get into SnR once I get my own dog. But for now, they're just pets.

On top of the cows, varmint eradication, guarding and so forth, they all take turns being the store dogs, greeting customers, etc. and Shiva does have her television 'career' lol!

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Well she LOVES to lick her self and eat poop......Of course Im breaking her of the last one ;).

But seriously she's a good little watch dog.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
Its just pulling sports for us. Though I do want to work a bit more on obediance with Gremlin, and maybe some agility too.

sam

Agility, herding and rally-o.
We'll probably start trialing in UKC obedience at some point too.
Sammy has his CCGC and has done some visition I just don't have time to finish the therapy dog course. There's only so many dog activities a person has time for!

Brattina88

Another one for backpacking. Missy's the only one that has a backpack (besides me, lol) but Maddie also joins us on hikes. I don't think hiking is a sport, but I wanted to mention it anyway.
I also checked 'other' because Maddie and I visit the assisted living home (although I haven't taken her since her eye got hurt :()
She is also an avid squirrel hunter (lol) and she loves to flush birds. We don't really hunt, though. Me with a gun? There's a scary thought! I thought about buying some dummies before, though...
As soon as Missy gets her CGC we will be in that Read program - where children read to the dogs... at the day care :D

Brattina, hiking isnt a sport but backpacking is if you do it often enough. Up here, its a section you need to complete (""x"" number of miles) when working to get the Working Dog title.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Whiskey is an Actor. He loves to perform. He thinks all cameras should be focused on him. He is a stunt dog. He enjoys the heck out of showing an audience what he can do.
Kahlua has not really found her niche yet. She is a hard player. All day play.

Erica

Sledding, backpacking, and Rally-O.

(And being a damned good guard dog, for a Malamute)

Julie

I am back again.
My labs hunt... I'm sure you've seen pictures I have posted.

Rocket is a certified patrol dog, which includes certifications in narc detec, tracking, handler protection, and apprehension. As a matter of fact we have re-certs next week.

Brattina88

Brattina, hiking isnt a sport but backpacking is if you do it often enough. Up here, its a section you need to complete (""x"" number of miles) when working to get the Working Dog title.
Not to hijack or anything - but that's very interesting! I would love to get into that, if possible. I'm going to see if I can find any information on that (for me in Ohio). Do you know of any contacts, links, etc? I mean, I love backpacking/hiking, and I love goals . . ! :D

Members online

No members online now.