Cats and the Counter Culture

So . . . you've got a kitty in the counter culture, Gum-Bro?

The big blue Gonzo who co-habitated with me for many wonderful years started out that way. I tried everything; squirt bottles (he batted the spray), stinky things (he stepped over them or swatted them into the sink), mousetraps (he'd drop stuff on them to trigger them). Total, abject failure. Finally, in total despair one day when he jumped up on the counter where I was fixing a salad, I picked him up, held him in front of me and said, "Look Gonzo, I don't walk on the counters - so you don't walk on the counters!" Then I set him down on a chair where he could see what I was doing. He never, ever got on the counters again.

Who knew? Cats are rational creatures!

Your cats maybe rational, but mine are kharmic retribution for everything bad I've ever done. It's the cross I bear.

What's up with this orange rind thing?

Theoretically, cats don't like citrus. Every single one of mine evidently were blissfully unaware of this. Gonzo would even rub his head all over orange rind. I learned to expect anything from him. He even learned to use the toilet in less than a week.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My cats obviously are like yours Renee.. The only thing that worked for them was supervision and a squirt bottle. (AND one of those HIDEOUSLY loud mats, that set off an alarm every time the cat is on the counter)

Debi

Well, truly, my cat reacted to the orange rind. SHE HATED IT!!! I peeled an orange (actually saved all orange peel) and placed them along the counter. Nice thing was........made the kitchen smell wonderful while Mz. nasty Beastlie stopped jumping up there. I then put orange peels on the bottom of my bed.....got tired of her hair. Once again.......she stayed off. I have a box for her that is covered, filled with blankets........she stays there now and only comes out to eat or torment my feet as I walk by. The orange peel has to be fresh....once they dry they seem to loose their zing. I'm sure nothing works for all.......but this sure works for me. :) (she is tooooooo fast for a spray from a bottle, only ever managed to wet the floor) lol

Members online