What is it with the media's infatuation with 'bad rap' breeds?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Great post.. Have I mentioned that I love your sense of humor? :p

There was a biting incident in this area a few years ago, and the "pit bull" was a registered Chocolate Lab. The kid hit the dog on the head with a stick a half dozen times and he nipped her cheek to tell her to knock it off. The cops were the ones that claimed it was a Pit, and even our clueless dog warden couldn't yell "PIT BULL!" as he's prone to do, as it was obvious it was a Lab, a nice one at that. The kid admitted she hit him with the stick "on the face" and he didn't like it.
The story went from being one of the "top stories" on the 6PM news to not being mentioned on the 11PM broadcast. In the paper, it was just a tiny article that mentioned she had provoked "the attack". Attack is a stupid term for what happened. I would call it "explaining things". A 90 pound dog doesn't barely break the skin when it "attacks". I've been bitten a couple of times and I know what an attack is.

My first reaction when I hear about a dog biting incident is typically, "well, what was he/she doing to the dog?"

Sometimes I even manage to keep it to myself - believe it or not! (lol)

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Listen i have a rottweiler i never said i dont dislike them. I just dont like pit bulls. They were bred for dog fighting they are unpredictable. They see a little kid running and it triggers their instinct to attack the kid. Pit bulls cant be trusted they were basicly bred to kill other animals. You guys will believe me when u get attacked by one like my sisters friend it was a tragidy.

She had the pit bull since she was a child and it tunrned on her and she has scars all over her face.

(edited out insult to forum - Moderator)

RD

Are you dead yet?
My sister had a friend that had a pitbull since child hood. It loved her and she took it evry where. One day she came home and the pitbull ripped her arm open for no reason.
You said this awhile about pit bulls.
She had the pit bull since she was a child and it tunrned on her and she has scars all over her face.
Now the dog bit her FACE? Which is it? The arm and the face are very far apart from one another. :rolleyes:

Because of that, I really believe that you are making this whole 'she was attacked' story up, just to get people angry.

FaceZ of Death,
One more insult posted in this forum and you will be banned.

I am sorry if someone you know was hurt by a dog. That does not mean that it is the dog breed's fault. Your auguments and comments are baseless.

Chazhound

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Je** of* isnt a swere word. It is just jurk like a mean person and off like turn the lights off.

Don't try to rationalize, FOD. Stop and think before you click to post. Now, behave! Everyone here is perfectly happy to help you with problems and dog questions, but no one is willing to put up with foolish, inane, redundant tripe. You can do better.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Guys u win seriously i didnt know much about the breed. Thats why i made that one post to see what you guys think. You guys very angry (Dont know why) when i discussed my point of view. I wont talk about the breed anymore and i bet they are very good dogs. You guys have changed my point of view but seriously dont freek out.

I AM SINCERELY SORRY

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Truly i am just another person who was around the discrimiting opinions my whole life. I have been acting like a je** Of* LOL. What i heard on the news is all i ever realy heard about the dogs.

Please, please, if you learn nothing else here, learn that if you ask questions, you'll get real answers. If you throw out uninformed opinions, you open the door for opinions to be formed about you, and even though you will get answers, they won't be the information you really wanted.

That holds true everywhere, throughout your entire life; not just on this forum.

RD

Are you dead yet?
We don't want to "win", FOD, we just want to educate you. The people on this board aren't vicious people, but your trolling was upsetting and yes we got mad.

I hope we really did help you open up your mind. :)

Buster

I am a PROUD and responsible owner of an American Pitbull terrier. I plead with anyone that thinks the media's bias nature against pits is correct to look up a bite statistic sheet. Pitbulls are nowhere near top on the list. I have grown up on a farm and have been around dogs and other animals all my life. They ALL can and will bite if invoked. I have only ever been bitten by two dogs and both were Cocker Spaniels. But yet I am still not prejudiced against cockers. those two dogs do not represent the breed!! Just as a Pit that has been raised wrong and/or trained to attack should not be the representative of the breed. I could go on forever about the sound temperament of the bully breeds and all of their good points but I do think that they cannot be owner by just anyone. And that goes for a lot of other breeds due to the stubbornness and the need to be the alpha in the relationship. Strong dogs require a strong owner I don't see why this common knowledge gets forgot about when it comes to bully breeds. People need to blame people not dogs!!!!!!!

My mom is telling me to get off of the computer so I have just one short and sweet thing to say, 'Punish the deed, NOT the breed!'

Brattina88

Buster said:
I am a PROUD and responsible owner of an American Pitbull terrier. I plead with anyone that thinks the media's bias nature against pits is correct to look up a bite statistic sheet. Pitbulls are nowhere near top on the list. I have grown up on a farm and have been around dogs and other animals all my life. They ALL can and will bite if invoked. I have only ever been bitten by two dogs and both were Cocker Spaniels. But yet I am still not prejudiced against cockers. those two dogs do not represent the breed!! Just as a Pit that has been raised wrong and/or trained to attack should not be the representative of the breed. I could go on forever about the sound temperament of the bully breeds and all of their good points but I do think that they cannot be owner by just anyone. And that goes for a lot of other breeds due to the stubbornness and the need to be the alpha in the relationship. Strong dogs require a strong owner I don't see why this common knowledge gets forgot about when it comes to bully breeds. People need to blame people not dogs!!!!!!!
As a proud owner of a Cocker Spaniel I aplaud you for not hating the breed for those unfortunate incidents. Was it two different times? I'm sorry to hear about that...
I've also never been bit by a pit. Ironically I have been bit by a Golden*, and I come in contact with pit bulls way more often than goldens. My Uncle's girl friend's brother raised and fought pits** and kept them ALL in/by the house. He has a 7yr old and a 12 year old. He is Stupid for fighting them, but do you think he would be dumb enough keep those "vicious" dogs by his children? NO! They're the biggest babies towards humans. Just aggressive towards dogs. I think everything that I know is true, or needs to be said has already been said, so I'm Out.

*we were at a park with the day care kids and the golden happened to be off leash running around. He got way to excited and jumped up on one of the k-care kids for pets. I placed my hand on his rump want was reaching for his collar telling him to get 'off' but before I could reach his collar he turned and tore my hand open. OUCH! The owner ran to me, put his leash on and apologized. It turns out he had hip displasha (sp!)and I must've hurt and.or startled him. Who do I blame? Me, for letting him around the kids in the first place, no matter how friendly his owner said he was. His owner for letting him of leash of course, but most of all the Breeder. I can't imagine what it be like to have to live with hip problems, especailly if it was preventable.

** With help from certain people on this forum I turned y Uncles girlfriends brother in and hes been arrested and is currently in jail for drugs and one count of animal cruelty. The dogs have been confiscated and sent to some pit rescue and other rescues out of mansfield because they are illeagal to own there. They suspected I reported him, but then changed there mind because theres no way I would do 'such a thing to the family'. Two of the dogs are actually here in my town. Im convincing myself that theres no way I can adopt either one of them.

:cool:

candy722

I think any breed can be friendly and unfriendly. I think it depends on their personality and hereditary.

Last year a lady owned a Pitt Bull, sweet big baby. When she'd walk the dog the local police would warn her a Pitt must have a mussle on at all times while outside. Sadly she took the dog for a walk one evening without one. As she was taking it for a walk another dog approached it, provoked it and the two got into a dog fight. The owner of the two dogs got inbetween them to try to stop the fight and was bit. Charges were pressed and the Pitt was 'arrested'. The poor thing was made to stay in the dog pound for months while she battled it in court to try to prove her dog was not a mean dog. We live close to the pound and she worked at a station we went to often. The dog warden would meet her at the pound 3 times a days to allow her to take the Pitt out of the pen to walk her. He'd sit in his truck reading a newspaper while she played with the dog. The local vet, and the dog warden both testified in court the dog was not a dangerous dog. Sadly the Pitt still lost the battle and was sentenced to death. Very sad but it seems once people make up their minds a breed is a dangerous breed there is no changing their minds.

Members online