Malamute kills girl

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I agree Gustav it is truly screwed up that stuff like this happens breaks my heart for the families and animals. I just think about Pakak and cringe....

I can't believe a Malamute would ever attack a person. (Well, yes I can, but that isn't what I mean.) I used to "own" a Malamute (she was a neighbor's dog who lived with us), and she was the sweetest most loving dog ever. She hated other dogs (although she tolorated ours) but the only thing she'd do to people was lick them to death. If we were outside playing football and we got tackled, Loupie would come over and start licking us. In no possible way was she viscous. People must have really screwed up these dogs to get them to attack somebody, IMO.

Saarloos Wolfhound

Cute and lovable Pup
That is shocking! I agree, what were the parents thinking of leaving a baby with such a large dog with tremendous power, every resonsible owner knows that dogs, not matter what size should be supervized with young children especially babies at all times.

To also have the dog put too sleep, i think that is disgusting, i hope that they never, ever decided to have a dog again :mad: .

Stupid people!

Fran27

Pretty irresponsible from them for sure :( Although in this case it seems that the girl went outside on her own through the dog door, when she was supposed to be in bed, and I'm not sure how that could have been avoided - except of course by socializing the dogs correctly. I don't think you can expect parents to watch their 2 year old 24 hours a day, especially at night.

For the 7 year old though, that bites, as they had adopted the dogs 6 days earlier. I'm going to be flamed for this, but it just convinced me to never adopt an adult dog, because you can't know how they will react (as long as I have children at least). It's not that I don't trust the dogs, but I don't trust previous owners to have trained their dog properly - obviously, it's always the case. It really sucks that it's the dogs that suffer from it though...

The poor kids. I doubt it's just a lack of socialization that produces a dog that savages a child. That vet tech in one article made the most sense - that people aren't thinking it through when they get these big dogs. I've been watching the explosion of Rotties, Pits, Am Bulldogs, Filas, etc., in my very populated suburban NJ town and it's very disturbing. Nothing wrong with these breeds - in responsible hands. But I agree with that tech - too many people are treating these breeds as if they were as low-maintenance and reliably friendly as Old Dog Trey. Bring 'em home, teach them to sit and stay, pour in the dog chow and tell yourself kids and dogs are perfect together. I look in my collie mix's mouth and I see those fangs - don't these people ever look at the enormous muzzle on, say, a Cane Corso, and realize how quickly, how devastatingly easily, that equipment could kill another dog, a man, a child?

nedim

I agree with that 100%. Very well put. I love dogs and always try to give them the "benefit of the doubt", but a dog is still an animal. Animals have natural instincts and can break out and kill somebody if they see them as a threat. I'm not saying that all pits, bulldogs, rottweilers, yada yada are feirce, but even training and proper socialization cant always rid a dog of their natural feelings.

nedim

Rose's Gal said:
Why did they PTS the dogs? They just jumped on the girl, it wasn't like they attacked her! OMG, stupid people...I feel sorry for the parents and the girl but I think it is so stupid that two probably perfectly good dogs got PTS because of the owners ignorence.

Maybe they cant stand to look at the dog anymore. Think about it, I mean would you choose your dog over your child?

bubbatd

This was a sensitive post. As Grammy, before too many jump upon ElinHunter ,,,her dogs ARE her children . Now, don't jump on me, but years ago when I had 4 dogs, 3 children and a husband.......depending on the situation at the time and I had to save them all.............naturally I would save those I could .

My dogs are my children. If it was reversed, and a child killed one of my dogs, I would absolutely be out for blood. You would have to tie me down.

I feel awful for the families. What a horrid thing to have happen. I've had so many clients who called me right away when they knew they'd have a child and a dog in the same house, no matter who got there first. All it takes is a little awareness and a little caution to avoid a tragedy. Kids aren't good with dogs, and a lot of dogs aren't good with kids. Kids frequently annoy dogs and can't pick up on the dog's signals that are telling them to stop. Just a little training for the dog to teach him to understand and respect the child, a little training for the child to teach him to understand and respect the dog, and the common sense that people who have children should possess anyway can prevent this sort of thing entirely. This is so sad.

nedim

EliNHunter said:
It was a joke... you said "would you choose your dog over your child?"... never mind... bad joke taste.

oh. i didnt know what you meant.

moe

I have malamutes and can say they are the most loving dogs I have ever had, but........ all the books on malamutes state that they have a strong prey drive, if a child is possibly running about, maybe trips over, starts to scream and cry this "could" ativate the prey drive, I find it unbeleivable that a child has been left in the company of these large dogs on their own, and to be honest even the one that "should" have been in bed, what the heck is that about, if they know the child can get access out of the house, while everyone was asleep, why the hell did'nt they secure the exit?

Mo

roni

K-9 lover ;)
such sad stories...but i have to agree with creature teacher. if a child attacked one of my babies (K9) i would be out for revenge as well. kids and dogs do not mix unsupervised. it only takes a second. question...would those dogs have attacked again after getting the taste of blood? is that why they had to be pts? so sad.

thunder

I was just wondering in the story about the 7 yr old and the 2 malamutes. Why did they put down the female also? When from the story it was the male that bit her.
Just curious about the reasoning behind this :(

Members online