I Live with Two Shelties

I live with two Shelities and they are a riot.
One is a femal and one is a male. They love to
go to the beach every morning and chase the
seawater. They also bark at squirrels and fight
with the little dog next door...

Chazhound

Jenna

How great to live near the coast so that you can go to the beach everyday! My dog Buster (a black Labrador) loves the water too!

I saw a Sheltie on the Westminster Kennel Club show, I thought it was a collie. But the announcer said shelties are not collies, and sheltie lovers don't want their dogs being called collies! Huh? Well, okay, they look the same to me. Nice looking dog, that's for sure. Well, I can't think of too many dogs on that show that weren't very nice looking dogs. I guess there was one, but I don't want to offend anyone on a particular breed, and the dog made it to the final - where the judge comes in an picks the "best of show". There are a couple of particular breeds I don't like. There are others I like but I don't like their potential temperament, like pitbulls. I read on the news the other day an 82 year old lady was mauled to death by two pitbulls. I have read too many of those stories about pitbulls over the years, I admit that I am prejiduced against them at this point - too much potential for violence, injury and even death. But they are beautiful dogs - always a dozen or more of them at the dog pounds.

My Pointer loves water also. But I don't have much opportunity to get him into it. I can't trust him to let him go free at the local park with a pond - I am afraid he will go after another animal. If I walk along the edge of the pond, he will jump in and swim along the edge while still on the leash. You never know what you are going to actually end up with when you adopt an animal, especially an older one that is already set in it's ways. At the same time, I like adopting older dogs now, I don't have to house train them and I don't have to go through chewn up couches, recliners and anything else a puppy can get it's teeth on. If I'm allowed, I want to post a picture of my new little rat terrier. Well, I do and I don't. I've had him, what, a week and a half now. Have you ever seen a picture on tv where they are trying to get you to donate money to a fund to feed hungry childen in impoverished nations, and they show a little boy or girl who has his/her flesh wrapped around bones? That's what this dog looks like. I have been feeding him pure, fat filled garbage since he came here. I know it isn't really good for him, but this isn't long term. He HAS to get some fat on his bones. Spaghetti, fat cut off meat, steak, whatever - I have been giving it to him. I feel so badly for this little guy, he was roaming the streets of mexico, obviously dying of starvation. Once I am satisfied that someone isn't going to report me to animal control for "animal neglect" for an underfed animal (of which, at this point, he is definitely NOT!), then I will start him on Iams. Sorry if I have rambled, dogs have been such a very large part of my entire life, I just have a lot of "stuff" my head is filled with about my own experiences with them. Comet, the little rat terrier, is sitting on my lap right now. His bones are literally jutting out of his sides. He ate over half a can of dog food, fat and I am going to give him some doggy treats shortly today, besides "stealing" some of Willie's food out of his dish.
Well, Merry Christmas to everyone, and don't forget to get some presents (and, of course, wrap them in wrapping paper as well) for your doggies!

Lol! I went out and bought Willie a bunch of stuff, but I couldn't keep it from him! He has already had Christmas! Well, I am sure there will be a couple of "goodies" under the tree, wrapped and waiting for him on Christmas morning!
BB

Iams is pretty good dog food. I used to give it to my dogs, but I found some really incredible dog food by doing some research on the web; it's called Innova, and the website is www.naturapet.com. It's manufactured using whole foods, all natural and organic (no hormone or antibiotic treated food), only human grade cuts of meats. You wouldn't believe the difference it's made. These two are sleek, shiny and energetic. Terriers are such high energy dogs that they really thrive on high quality fuel.

I've got a soft spot for terriers. My second dog, Mickey, was a terrier; my parents got her for me when they had to give my big mutt, Copper, to a farmer because he terrorized everyone but me - and I was only 3 at the time! The breeder called her a toy fox terrier, but looking back at her pictures and knowing what I do now, I've realized she was really a Jack Russell. No one here knew what one was at the time, so they just tagged them with a name people would recognize. My parents have a rat terrier now, and my sister in California has a Jack Russell and a rescued German Shepherd. I've got a rescued German Shepherd/wolf mix and a Fila Brasileiro. I'd love to have another terrier, but we have coyotes and a terrier would be too vulnerable. Unless, of course, it was a 150 lb Russian Terrier!

There are many great makers of wholesome dogfood should one look hard enough. I haven't heard of Innova but it shound great. We use a wholesome product called FlintRiver.

Chazhound

I looked at the Flint River. The NaturaPet website allows you to compare foods side by side, which was a big help in choosing. Most of the elite Fila breeders talk about feeding them whole foods, including vegetables, dairy, fruit, etc. The Flint River was very impressive, but it just didn't include variety of food sources the Fila people recommend. It's also not as readily available here in east Tennessee. The Filas, as a breed, are perhaps not as "refined" as some of the more well known breeds, and seem to need more of the type of diet their ancestors ate, which included the contents of the stomachs of their herbivorous prey. Many of these dogs are still being bred and used in much the same way as they were in the 1600s. Bimmer, being (small) part wolf, also seems to benefit from the same feeding program. I wish I had known about it when he was a puppy.

Members online

No members online now.