Brady's other breed in him

bogolove

What else do you think he has in him? I was told when I got him that his father was a golden retreiver and his mom was a lab. I saw the mom and she didn't look like she was full blooded lab. I am beginning to wonder about the whole golden retreiver part. He does look it in ways but his face and his paws and even the way his tail is reminds me of something else. I can't quite put my finger on it either. I don't care, it is just I find it interesting. I was looking through a dog book about all breeds that I have (I told you I find it interesting) and his face and his ears look so much like a Maremma Sheepdog. I was flipping through and I saw this pic of the one in here and the expression on the dogs face and how the ears are look just like Brady's face, so I was wondering if anyone can see what else he may have in him, or at least take a wild guess?

Brattina88

Is his tongue dark, or is it just bad lighting in the picture? Could possibly have Chow in him. Maybe some pictures of him standing up, showing off that tail of his could help. I love guessing the breeds :D

bogolove

Ok here is a full bodied picture of him. His tongue is not really dark so it must just be the pic or something. But at least here you can see the tail. His tail is a lot furrier now too, the fur is much longer looking.

bogolove

Renee750il said:
Brady's face, especially the eyes and ears, remind me of a Great Pyrenees. You can take a look at www.molosserdogs.com
Yes his eyes and ears really do remind me of a Great Pyrenees also. I looked at the Maremma again on your site you gave and that pic didn't look as much like him as the one in my book did. He does have the ears and eyes and his facial expressions remind me of them too. he just does not have the weight, which could just come from his mom though. He is about 70 pounds and she looked like she (the mom) was about 55 pounds if I were to guess. He even has the slightly more tan spots on his paws too. They are just a little more tan than the rest of him, but not much. You can see them fairly well though.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I can see lab & golden, but SOMETHING ELSE gave him those ears, and it's driving me crazy!

They look like GSD ears that just flopped to the side, and he has a bit of GSD appearance in his eyes...

seaecho

I think he's exactly what you were told - Golden Retriever and Lab cross. I see absolutely NO german shepherd or Great Pyrenees at all. He'd be much bigger by now if he had Pyrenees in him. And Chows have that blunt, heavy snout on them - something he definately doesn't have!

Randi

Brady's parentage will give you all sorts of excuses to look at those wonderful dog books and scan every dog breed website you can find for years to come. There's no telling what kind of genes are lurking in there. One thing's for sure, though, he's a handsome fellow and that face just radiates intelligence and good nature.

It will be interesting to note his behaviour as he gets older, whether he only likes retrieving games, or also finding games and if he exhibits any desire to make things, other animals and/or people go where he wants them to go or gather together in groups. That can tell you a lot.

bogolove

That is a good point Renee. I will just have to watch him as he gets older. He is still only 10 months so he just kind of wants to tug stuff with you and have you chase him. He won't really bring me a ball or anything back yet, but he is getting better at it. Though he does like to jump and climb stuff I have noticed lately. We are in a developing neighborhood a little out in the country and there are big dirt piles and he loves to run up those and stand up there and run down them. He definently loves playing no matter what it is though. He is very smart with a bit of a defiant edge. Not always, but he will let you know when he wants something and you are not giving it to him.

Hmmmm. . . Brady's already showing some very marked guardian breed traits. At 70 pounds at 10 months, and with the look of the eyes and ears, I'm even more suspicious that there's a Pyr in his ancestry somewhere.

It's going to be fun and interesting watching him as he gets more mature. I know I'll be waiting to hear more Brady stories!

bogolove

seaecho said:
I think he's exactly what you were told - Golden Retriever and Lab cross. I see absolutely NO german shepherd or Great Pyrenees at all. He'd be much bigger by now if he had Pyrenees in him. And Chows have that blunt, heavy snout on them - something he definately doesn't have!

Randi
His ears are not the ears of a golden or a lab. He has something else in him. I know that he has no Chow in him, but he greatly resembles a Maremma Sheepdog, which has similar characteristics of a Great Pyrenees which may be why Renee sees that in him (I can see your point too Renee). Maremma sheepdogs range anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds which is a bit smaller than your average Pyrenees. I can definently see how a lab crossed with a Maremma could produce my dog. His ears are set too high on his head and perk up more than a golden's ears. They tend to have longer ears than Brady. Not too mention that I was reading the characteristics of Maremma sheepdogs and his personality traits can be seen there too. I think Renee was right when she said that watching his behavior could tell a person a great deal about the genetics of your dog. I am not saying that is definently what he is, but he has something there to make his ears, eyes, mouth, and tail the way they are. Besides the lady whose dog had the puppies didn't know much about dog breeds anyway, so I can see how a Maremma could be construed as a "big golden retreiver". There are so many breeds of dogs that someone who was not necessarily interested in that sort of thing would not know about. I just find it interesting to spread my wings and learn about many different breeds.

Last edited:
The only reason I'd be skeptical of the Maremma Sheepdog is that they're definitely few and far between in this country.

It is interesting to learn about the different breeds. They're all fascinating and it's a fun pastime to wonder about your dog's ancestry and try to piece together the puzzle.

bogolove

Yes I noticed that about there not being many in this country, but I thought you never know for sure what he could be. I guess that is the fun in it. I do find it so interesting to read and learn about all the breeds.

He does have great ears though doesn't he? I love them! They are so cute, and so full of personality. (Sorry he is right by my side and he is staring at me with my husbands flip flop in his mouth and I got carried away with his cuteness). Who knows, we'll just keep guessing and watching him as he gets older. :)

Oh, he's a charmer, all right! Those ears really are expressive, too, and with the black accents around his eyes . . . one look and he could get by with just about anything! He's going to keep you amused for many, many years.

Members online

No members online now.