Get him to stop!

Bailey's Pet

Bailey's Pet
I have a roudy pup as some of you have heard my plees... I am trying the whole crate thing, it works pretty good, except he keeps tearing up the bottom of the crate... After I got home the other night I found the whole floor of his kennel distroyed :mad: , so I spent 4 or 5 hrs carpeting a piece of wood for the bottom so he had something nice to lay on... :p of course you all know what happened after that. Does anyone have any suggestions to calm him down when I'm gone... That CD doesn't work that well. :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

You may have to put him in a puppy proofed room so that he actually has some room to move around. It sounds like he's going stir crazy.

Get him some toys that will keep him busy, a good chew bone (I really suggest the Orbee-Tuff for a dog like Bailey) a treat ball, and maybe a Kong and some other kind of puzzle toy. He's bored - very, very bored.

You really may want to consider getting up earlier and taking him for a run in the morning before you have to leave. Think about it; he's been cooped up all night, just resting and storing energy, and then he's getting cooped up again, all day.

Get him some toys that require some mental exercise. This is a bored dog. And make them interactive; play with Bailey with the toys. Get him interested in figuring out how to roll the treat ball to get the treats out of it. Are you stuffing the Kong with peanut butter or something else that takes a long time to get out? And try hiding the toys around the room to give him something to do.

Some dogs do well with crate training, but it sounds like the crate is too much for Bailey and he needs more room, so please try to pup-proof a room, like a mud room or laundry room, bathroom or kitchen, and try confining him to that area when you're gone. Being crated all night, then all day is way too much, even for a couch potato, which Bailey certainly is not.

I second that. Try giving him a little more room to romp. Get a CD of the ocean waves and see if that clams him any.

Chazhound

Bailey's Pet

Bailey's Pet
mmmmmmmmmm clams...
He actually is only in there when we are gone, he sleeps in bed with us and hangs out with us when we get home from work, we take him to the store with us, we take him to Wendy's with us.... he is a great dog to just chill with.

Do try him in a puppy-proofed room instead of the crate. Some dogs - like some people - just can't tolerate being cooped up in that small a space.

It's great that you're taking him places with him and spending so much time with him. He's getting good socialization skills that way, plus, he gets to be with you that much more.

His photos are adorable!

K train

I don't know about the bored part a dog like that might just be pitching a fit because you're gone. Dogs are pack animals and some of them can't handle being alone and so they retaliate destructively. You may want to find a good dog sitter you trust that you know the dog likes. At night time let the dog sleep in the room you're in. If you can't find a sitter you may try to find a kennel near by call the kennel you find and see exactly what they do when you leave and give them a visit to not only find out about them but to settle your own mind I believe you'll like your results.

K train said:
I don't know about the bored part a dog like that might just be pitching a fit because you're gone. Dogs are pack animals and some of them can't handle being alone and so they retaliate destructively. You may want to find a good dog sitter you trust that you know the dog likes. At night time let the dog sleep in the room you're in. If you can't find a sitter you may try to find a kennel near by call the kennel you find and see exactly what they do when you leave and give them a visit to not only find out about them but to settle your own mind I believe you'll like your results.
I thought I had always heard that it's not a good idea to let a dog sleep in the bedroom, especially not in the bed. Something about established dominance or something? Has anyone else heard this?

I've never heard it, but it may be because no one had the nerve to say it to me. Bimmer sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed, Kharma sleeps next to him, and Shiva either sleeps on the floor at the side of the bed, or goes back to the living room to snooze on the couch after we've fallen asleep.

All of my German Shepherds have slept beside my bed, with their heads toward the door, or just inside my bedroom door, on guard. When it was just Bimmer and me, he slept up on the foot of my bed until I fell asleep, then would lay across the doorway. Purdue, my first GSD, slept on the floor by my bed until my parents went to bed, then crawled carefully up on the bed. He was slick enough to get back on the floor before anyone came downstairs to wake me up in the morning. (lol) So far, I've had no dominance issues whatsoever, even with Bimmer who's part wolf, or with any of the Filas.

I think dominance problems stem more from owners' and dogs' personalities and lack of understanding than from where a dog sleeps.

Renee750il said:
I've never heard it, but it may be because no one had the nerve to say it to me. Bimmer sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed, Kharma sleeps next to him, and Shiva either sleeps on the floor at the side of the bed, or goes back to the living room to snooze on the couch after we've fallen asleep.

All of my German Shepherds have slept beside my bed, with their heads toward the door, or just inside my bedroom door, on guard. When it was just Bimmer and me, he slept up on the foot of my bed until I fell asleep, then would lay across the doorway. Purdue, my first GSD, slept on the floor by my bed until my parents went to bed, then crawled carefully up on the bed. He was slick enough to get back on the floor before anyone came downstairs to wake me up in the morning. (lol) So far, I've had no dominance issues whatsoever, even with Bimmer who's part wolf, or with any of the Filas.

I think dominance problems stem more from owners' and dogs' personalities and lack of understanding than from where a dog sleeps.
I hear ya. I think it was one of the trainers I had when I had my Rottie that told me that. He was German and kinda mean, so maybe it was ME who had the dominance problem. :D

Now that I think of it, his line of reasoning made sense. It had to do with (US) being the dominant ones in the pack and our "nest" belonging to us.

Recalling that failed relationship, I would have been better off sleeping with Roxy and making my ex sleep in the back room. :eek:

ButtGumbo said:
I hear ya. I think it was one of the trainers I had when I had my Rottie that told me that. He was German and kinda mean, so maybe it was ME who had the dominance problem. :D

Now that I think of it, his line of reasoning made sense. It had to do with (US) being the dominant ones in the pack and our "nest" belonging to us.

Recalling that failed relationship, I would have been better off sleeping with Roxy and making my ex sleep in the back room. :eek:
My dogs are looking at me right now, wondering why I'm sitting here giggling. If they only knew!

I'm assuming the Trainer was the one who was mean?

And I know just what you mean about the ex! My ex boyfriend was always after me to get rid of Bear, didn't want me to let him in the house, etc. Needless to say, Bear stayed and the Big Lummox eventually got run off. My Charley is wonderful. Like I told my Mom, how can you go wrong with a man who loves big dogs and fast cars? It's just a matter of having the right priorities!
:D

Members online

No members online now.