Questions about a few breeds of dogs

neapolitanpitbull

Never enough pets
I am thinking about my next dog. Can you help me find out what breed is right for me?

-I am active and have time to play and walk my dog
-I perfer a dog I dont have to groom much
-I need a breed that gets along with other dogs, because I have 2 Boxers
-I need a breed that gets along with cats
-I need a breed that does not hunt smaller animals (I have lots of those, hehe)
-I want a dog that is registered with AKC so I can show her.
-I want a breed that is not too small, because I have 2 strong Boxers
-I dont want a very barky dog
-I need a dog that does not have a history to attack farm animals (such as pit bulls, they attacked bulls back in the time, not meaning I dont love pit bulls though, because I do!) because I will be getting a cow in a few years, and maybe raise a lamb and pig

I was thinking about a Manchester Terrier but found out they bark alot and tend not to get along with dogs bigger than them.
What do you think about a Bullmastiff?
Or Doberman?
I was studying getting another Boxer but I want a female and read females dont tend to get along with other females (sadly).

Anyone want to help me out? :)

Doberooney

I bark, therefore I am
My dobe (very active, requires very little grooming) gets along great with other animals and doesn't chase after squirrels and such.. although she finds cats to be quite entertaining.

You could certainly show a Dobe... and with the training that goes along with showing, you could definitely teach a dobe not to be overly 'barky'.

The only thing.. my dobe doesn't seem to mesh well with boxers (nor do a few others that I have read about).

Toller_08

Dobermans are known for not really liking Boxers...their personalities just don't "click". Boxers tend to be jumpy, excitable, very happy-go-lucky dogs...and Dobes are, well, Dobes are very dignified..lol. A friend of mine is a Doberman breeder and she also knows lots of people with Boxers. Although her Dobies love almost any dog and breed they encounter, they just don't seem to have the patience to put of with Boxers..even if they grew up with them as a couple have (not in the same house, but they see/saw eachother constantly). That being said, perhaps being raised as a puppy with a Boxer would be fine though. The Dobermans aren't generally aggressive with them, they just prefer not to put up with them for the most part. Dobermans can live with Boxers of course and there shouldn't be a problem, they jsut prefer living with breeds similar to themselves. However, seeing as Alaska is a male, you'd need to get a female. Dobermans are notorious for same sex aggression, especially the males.

Dobermans seem to be pretty quiet for the most part. I know of a lot of whiners (the boys esp.), but they usually quit when you tell them. They aren't an overly barky breed. They do shed quite a bit, but not overly. Obviously the Doberman is an AKC recognized breed. They do need to be kept busy and exercised. it is extremely, extremely important. They can be couch patatoes, but like I said, they need exercise. Dobermans can have a strong prey drive, as with lots of other brees. However, it isn't unmanageable. I brush my boy with a hound glove a few times weekly as I can't stand the shedding og smooth or short coated dogs, but besides that, they don't need any sort of grooming besides baths when required, nail trimmins, ear cleaning, etc.

All of that being said, I hope Doberkim, Sizzle, or someone else who knows their Dobes sees this thread as they are far more 'into' Dobermans than I am so I can't really offer much more info.

As far as other breeds you've mentioned, I know nothing about Bullmastiffs. Manchesters however are nice dogs. I really like them. I've met quite a few at dog shows and they were all very friendly, were relatively quite, and got a long wonderfully with dogs of any size and breed. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I've met lots and that's how all of them were.

My personal pick of those three would be a Doberman. I've never owned one, but I've been impressed with the trainability of those I've heard about and seen. The scary part is the requirement that the dog get along with other dogs, cats, and farm animals. That's not something that anybody can guarantee, and is at least partly dependant upon the dog's socialization. You will also get dogs who will instinctively realize when something belongs to their pack, but attack other animals outside of it.

Jessiep

My cousin has a Mastiff and worked with a rescue place for over a year to try to find one that wouldn't attack her cats, so that might not be the best breed for you. =(

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Heheh, get a Lab :p That is what I was thinking the whole time reading your thread lol

But I also agree, get a DANE! :D They are stunning dogs...they get along with most everything I think.

And they are a beauty to show(even though I have never showed one...they are very stunning to watch in a show)! :D

SarahFair

I had a German Shepherd
Best dog I EVER owned..
He LOVED other dogs..cept ones that started it..
Very loyal
Protective
I dont really think he chased after cats but I also dont think cats came in our yard
We did find a baby squirell in his mouth onetime..he didnt kill it just was kinda tossing it around. But we did keep it as a pet till it grew up :)
Raised from a puppy I doubt they will pick on small animals.
IMO they are the best breed..
But if not I would go with a Great Dane..

neapolitanpitbull

Never enough pets
OK...
-Great Dane
-German Shepherd
-Rhodesian Ridgeback

I love Labs, Lizmo, I really do, and my uncles lab is even having pups in the summer time, but she is SOOO active and demanding to play 24/7, I just dont think I can handle that! I need a dog that I can play with, but not a dog that is DEMANDING to play. Elly, my uncles dog thats having the pups, is an AWESOME dog, but just too active for me.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh okay ;) Well when you said that you wanted one and you would have time to play with it...I thought of labs :)

I personaly...from your list of dogs you want...I would get a Great Dane! :D

JFrick

I love Labs, Lizmo, I really do, and my uncles lab is even having pups in the summer time, but she is SOOO active and demanding to play 24/7, I just dont think I can handle that! I need a dog that I can play with, but not a dog that is DEMANDING to play. Elly, my uncles dog thats having the pups, is an AWESOME dog, but just too active for me.
You don't want a herding dog then either. They are among the most hyper breeds, especially Border Collies and Australian Shepherds...They take a lot of time, actually, they demand a lot of time..

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You don't want a hearding dog then either. They are among the most hyper breeds, especially Border Collies and Australian Shepherds...They take a lot of time..
I wouldn't call them hyper, just very intelligent, energetic, active, and driven. ;) Definitely need stimulation all the time.

JFrick

I wouldn't call them hyper, just very intelligent, energetic, active, and driven. ;) Definitely need stimulation all the time.
Yeah, that's true.....but they do get really hyper when they don't get enough exercise, at least that's how Khaki (Aussie) is. They do need constant stimulation, or they will entertain themselves. I went home yesterday from work to find Khaki had chewed up part of the cushion on my couch.

hollybea

we had a manchester terrier for 23 years along wit other dogs, she was not a barker and was good with all the other dogs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Khaki is a pup, JFrick :) Most herding breed puppies would fall under the category of "hyper", but as they mature they are pretty easy to live with. Not that they ever stop needing exercise and mental stimulation, but the need for constant stimulation will usually go away after a while. Maybe I've just gotten too used to mine . . .

I'd be careful with a GSD and a Boxer. Herding breeds tend not to like Boxers either . . . Something about the difference in style, I guess. Herding dogs tend to move lower to the ground and "flow" with each step. Boxers are very erratic and jerky with their movements, as well as very upright and in-your-face, and it can irritate some dogs. My Border Collie has only met one Boxer that he will tolerate, and that dog is about 8 years old and quite calm.

Members online

No members online now.