Cockapoo is sick.

Teddy

Hello, I have about a 9 month old cockapoo (shown in my avatar). Recently he has got sick. 2 Days ago he vomited alot, maybe 5 times, by the end he was just bringing up the bial, and foam. That was in the night (he didn't eat supper). The next day he didn't want to drink or eat, so we gave him water through a turkey baster the whole time since. Sometimes he just let's it go down, or out of his mouth, sometimes he licks it out. That day he didn't eat at all (his food, rice, or ground beef, as suggested to give to a sick dog). He did not vomit at all that day, and he urinated many times during the day, he seems to be recovering, it is now morning on the third day and he still won't eat, or drink automatically.

Just like the mention that he pooped the night he got sick, and It was normal, no discoulration, no foreign matter, usual consistency, he hasn't went number 2 since though (because he has not eaten). He is now moving more, and not hiding in the corner (like he was). He now lifts his leg to urinate, and even scuffs the grass with his paws, gets up to see you, but still no running.

I am wondering what this is, he is not hurting anywhere (not sensitive when touched anywhere). We would take him to the vet but we have a money shortage, so we are doing everything we can in money range. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

babyjane

Sick Cockapoo

You've GOT to get this little baby to a vet. At the very least, call your vet to let him/her know what's going on. These symptoms are very serious, and your dog is probably in pain and/or fear. I lost one of my babies a year and a half ago due to a blood disorder. I took her to the vet the 1st time she threw up and became lethargic. She lived for about two weeks and then I had to put her to sleep because nothing else could be done. However, although it broke my heart (I missed a full week of work because I was so devastated) I knew that I had done everything possible to take care of her. Your dog is your child; if your human child became ill like this, would you not take him or her to the doctor? You owe your very helpless animal the same care. Borrow the money, work out a payment plan with your vet, but do whatever you have to in order to take care of your pet. There's just no excuse not too. I will pray that everything will turn out well.

Teddy

Well it seems I was right, he is getting better (it's now almost lunch) and he ate his rice and ground beef! So now he has an appatite, and I can certainly tell hes doings better, because now he licks you like crazy (like normal) and makes sure his nose is wet (he wasn't when he was sick). I have an appointment ready for the vet, but should I still take him now? He's really imporving. By the way how much do vet check ups cost, and then how much do tests cost in your area?

My question is what was this, like a puppy cold? Stomach flu?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Well, that's sort of unusual that he would be vomiting so much and not have any diarrhea... I really don't know... Could he have gotten into anything bad?

Teddy

Well things have got bad again for some reason, he was like almost 90%, and then he went back again and spit up a bit. Now hes sick again... The bad part is i canceled the vet apointment because he was doing so great, and now it's too late, hopefully he will still be alright until tomorrow so I can for surely take him in, so anybody know about the prices I asked about?

Umm it should coast around 75 to 100 dollars (that's what my vet charges). I hope he gets better!

RD

Are you dead yet?
My vet only charges me about $20 to do a checkup and diagnosis. He charges about $80 for a diagnosis and extensive blood work.

The prices are lower for me because I volunteer there, and I can do most of the procedures that my dog would need (as long as it doesn't involve a scalpel) so sometimes I just take Ripley in when I go to volunteer in the morning and when there's a lull in 'traffic' he'll help me work on my dog.

I think it really depends on the area you are in. Veterinary care costs a LOT more in large cities. In a big city, you can expect to pay 100+ for a checkup.

Teddy, it's going to be most important to keep him from getting dehydrated, but you don't want to let a dog that's vomiting drink too much at one time. If you can get him to drink a little diluted chicken broth (unsalted) try and see if he can keep it down tonight until you can get him in to the vet's tomorrow.

The vet should have some times available for emergency type visits like this one, and usually they're pretty good about working out payments. In the meantime, be looking around the house for anything he might have snuck into when you weren't looking. The more information you can give your vet the easier (and less expensive) it's going to be for him to figure out what your pup's problem is.

pitbulliest

I understand that vets charge way too much, but if your pup is sick..and your pup definately seems to be sick..don't delay the situation over money...you knew when you got the dog that vet bills weren't an option at one point or another in the dog's life..like people..animals need doctors too..unfortunately, vets take advantage of that fact way too often by charging wayyyyy more than the consultations/surgeries/medicines/etc are really worth..but hey, what can ya do?

Definately take the little guy to the vet...it might be serious or it might not..but it is definately better to be safe then sorry. Keep us updated...good luck!

Teddy

Well I had to take him this morning because he is even worse than he was in the first place (even wet himself), he seemed really tired. I hope there's no surgery involved in this, I can't pay for the checkup, let alone surgery :eek: . Anyways I should be getting a call soon from the vet.

Very weird though, was sick for a bit, recovered, then all of a sudden went sick again, bigtime.

Teddy

His name is Teddy :). We'll hopefully next time Teddy gets sick he will get something more describeable and common so I can read about my own way to get him better because I just paid $252 to find out that they couldn't find what was wrong with him, and I am supposed to give him pepto bismol 3 times a day, and not for him to eat for 24 hours, is he gonna starve or what? He isn't even eating anyways... He's had like 1 small meal in 3-4 days.

So... $252 for pepto bismol, makes me fairly upset. As for Teddy he seems really bad, although hes moving a bit again.

Poor Teddy! Poor Teddy's Human! I really feel for you, but imagine how you'd have felt if something dire had been wrong and you hadn't gone to the vet. For $252 you should have the benefit of some tests, at least, to rule out things like kidney failure and other frights.

Try giving him some diluted, unsalted chicken broth tomorrow, then gradually work up to some pieces of unseasoned white meat chicken (you can even microwave it). Dogs can get viruses, too, and it's possible he's just got a nasty stomach virus. Bland foods in small portions for the next few days will probably fit the bill for Teddy.

I've gotten mine to eat little pieces of candied ginger when they've been nauseous (Shiva used to puke in the car when she was a pup - ugh - and my Mom's little Terrier still does). There's nothing like it for vomiting; it's even safe for pregnant women, just don't go overboard with it.

Keep us in the loop ~ we're worrying with you!

Teddy

Yes I actually gave him some chicken brooth today and he seemed to like it when it was introduced into his motuh, but he still turns away any offering of food/water. After he had the brooth, I seen some improvment because he drink water all by himself after. But that's about it, he's very very tried all the time, and he won't eat, how long can he go without eating, he's getting noticeably skinny.

He'll do all right without food for several days. The trick is to keep him from getting dehydrated, and the first part of that is not to get the vomiting started again. Keep up with the chicken broth and just gradually introduce small amounts of the chicken; just make sure it cut into small pieces so he won't be tempted to wolf it down. If he throws it up, back to the broth. Make sure there is a small bowl of fresh water nearby, and keep it chilled with a few ice cubes. Warm water is one of the things used to induce vomiting; the chilled water will not only encourage him to take small drinks, but it should sit better on his little belly.

Teddy

Today he seems to be a bit better, we have been forcing the following things on him, since he turns down everything: water, chicken brooth, pepto bismol (3 times a day as suggested) and rice/boiled ground beef. He has only drink by himself 3 times this whole experience.

That sounds better, although the beef might be a bit heavy on his belly still. Keep it up, in small quanitities. I guess, since didn't say otherwise, that he's keeping it down now?

Emy45

When our Mini Schnauzer was sick our vet had us feed her hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese.she is picky but ate it with no problem.

Teddy

Well it's super time now today and he seems to be about 90%, except I don't want to jinx anything. He is eating/drinking on his own now. The rice was suggested because it expands in their stomach I think. He seems to be really hungry, but we have to introduce food verys slowly otherwise he will likely throw up because his stomach is so small. I'll let you know if he keeps up his good streak.

PS: I was reading around and it seems that raw hides aren't good for dogs, does this apply to all kinds, or just ones not manufactured in us/canada?

Members online