Can you recommend breeds that are calm?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Facez of Death, Greyhounds have a high prey drive but they don't all like to kill cats. Rescued racers have a tendency to chase small animals because of the mechanical lures used when they are racing.

But, the retired racers are fabulous couch potatoes.. They'll still enjoy running on occasion, but they don't seem to *need* that running once they're retired and placed in a home...

Edit -- OMG, Renee.. There is this little Basset that is owned by the groomer we take our dogs to.. Sometimes she's in the 'beauty parlor' when we take our guys in.. Oh. My. God. Talk about irresistable! She climbs up a little ladder to sit on the counter and get kisses.. Her face could melt anything.. :p

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

There are a lot of grey hounds that were racing dogs that get injured. After hat most of them are put to sleep soemtimes they try to give them away first so that is a good way to get a greyhound.

Lexi

Our family had a retired greyhound and she was wonderful. They're great with older kids. They don't kill cats they just have never been introduced to them. They just like to chew up stuffed toys (especially squeaky ones) and go after squirrels when you take them on walks. They must always be on a leash outside, they know nothing about cars (or stairs, or swimming pools, or sometimes, even barking). Once they learn that cats have claws (they are very sensitive dogs) they will be afraid of the cats - believe me. They are big fraidy cats. Ours did not need much exercise at all! She was strictly an indoor dog even though we had a huge yard for her to run around. She preferred to laze around.

My parents lab from a breeder is a hyper dog, 8 years old now and is the kind of dog you want if you have young kids and you want something to wear the kids and the dog out. Labs and retrievers are superb pets for the family but not calm until later on.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend an English Bulldog, they have some nasal issues, other health issues and don't live very long, plus they're pretty expensive if you buy from a breeder...so unless you get him/her from a rescue group or pound that's the best way to go.

A basset hound is great and you can find rescue groups - just depends on the activity level you need for your dog. They may have a few health issues with the breed.

Whippets are also another good, calm breed. I highly recommend them. They also don't need a lot of exercise and are indoor dogs. They can tolerate heat but would need a coat as would a greyhound for walks in snowy weather.

P.S. Our retired racing dog was not injured, she was in perfect health when we got her so I'm not sure what FacesofDeath is talking about regarding injured greyhounds being put up for rescue. Check retired rescue sites on the web in your area if you are interested in a retired greyhound. Many of them are fostered first to socialize them with animals, stairs, etc. before being adopted to families.

seaecho

After working as a vet technician for 12 yrs., I've seen it all! In my opinion, the majority of Labs and Goldens are hyper for most of their lives. Often to the point of bouncing off the walls. Many small breeds are hyper - especially the toys. Of the large breeds, I'd say Great Danes are one of the calmest, as are St. Bernards and Akitas. But some Akitas can be aggressive, so not recommended unless you're an experienced dog owner. Depends so much on what you are looking for, and where you live. Fenced yard? Short or long haired breed preferred? Do you want a large, medium or small dog? Jack Russells are notorious for being super hyper, as well as most terrier breeds. Many Boxers are crazy hyper, but when you find a calm one, you've got a darn good dog. I have a Boxer that is about as calm as you can get, and intelligent to boot! Our two pugs are opposites - one is hyper and one is calm and relaxed. So its not all just the breed (although generally your chances of getting a hyper dog are much higher in breeds known for this). The individual can be either calm or hyper, as there are exceptions to every rule. I love Whippets - they are calm in the house, yet they can run like the wind. Most sporting breeds will be very active because they are bred to hunt all day long. The same for husky types. Samoyeds, spitz, Siberians and Malamutes have too much energy to spare due to being bred to pull sleds in deep snow for at least eight hours a day. You can't expect a hyper dog to be calm - its just not fair to the dog. They are born this way, and its just better in the long run to see both the parents and spend time with them. Why? Because chances are high that if the parents are calm, the pups will grow up to be calm too. Also remember that ALL pups are very active until mature. Hope this helps!

Randi

sandypaws

greyhound

I agree! Greyhound is the way to go. A retired grey only wants to be loved and have a soft spot to lay down.

Get a Jack Russell Terrier... ha ha ha!!! Okay, okay. Just kidding. My baby can get pretty hyper... but he does settle down and he likes nap time as much as play time but he loves to bark and get into everything so not a good choice.

Let's see.... you want to stay away from all terrier breeds.

If you want something not too hyper and something that is not that big, I would suggest a pug.

If you want a big dog, you might want to consider a great dane or a newfoundland.

With any breed of dog, be sure to meet the parents first. The parent's temperament and activity level have a lot to do with how your pup will turn out. Also any dog can be a terror if not trained properly, ignored, or not given enough exercise. Hope this helps!

sandypaws said:
I agree! Greyhound is the way to go. A retired grey only wants to be loved and have a soft spot to lay down.
Yes, greyhounds are wonderful dogs. Chaz folks always give such good information.:D Depending on the rescue organization, most are fosters before they are ever adopted out, so they have been small animal tested. Also, many have a very short racing careers so prey drive isn't as much of an issue. So many of our greyhounds live very happily with small dogs and cats, you just have to look for the ones that are proven in foster.
Another thing to consider is a retired breeding bitch, most often they are the sweetest, kindest cuddlers one could ever meet. As for exercise, they do require a couple of good walks a day but are not at all exercise hogs. They're are often called 42 miles an hour couch potatos.
I do all the behavior training for rescue greyhounds here.....and with that particular rescue, I'm not very busy... always a good sign:D

bubbatd

I've NEVER had a hyper Golden in my 60 years of owning them !! Field Goldens do tend to be more exuberant though.

mjb

The smaller dogs are usually more hyper or more active, along with the Terrier group. Alot of the suggestions for a calm dog are larger dogs. If you need a smaller dog, I would suggest a Pug. I have seen one hyper Pug, but the one we had and most of the Pugs I have been acquainted with have been very calm lovebugs once they're out of their puppyhood.
On the smaller side, I have read that Cavaliers are also calm.

bubbatd

Thanks Renee, but it really goes back to the breeders ...not only I, but the ones I got my dogs from. I have had both light and dark goldens. I found the darker ones ( from field stock ) harder to train . The English Golden is much lighter ( to me too light compared to the original Goldens. ) Bubba in my siggy was to me a true Golden color, though he looks more red in my siggy. I wish I could show a picture of his Grandaddy who was a Champion at Westminister... he looked just like him.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
sue said:
What about a Lab?
LOL labs are not calm untill after 2 years old sometimes never.
Show bred labs are more laid back then field bred so if you like labs I would go with a show bred one.
Hound dogs are laid back! I love thier howling and barking!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Hound dogs are laid back!
yes because self exersizing by running up and down the stairs, onto the couch around the kitchen into the hall up the stairs on the bed and back again DAILY is really laid back LOL

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
jennza said:
Do you know anything about Greyhounds? I have 2 retired racers, and they are the calmest dogs I have ever had or been around. They are very low maintenance in general! They aren't small, but they actually curl up & take up less room than you might think. It's a big secret what perfect pets these make because the stereotype is that they need lots of room & lots of exercise, which is not true at all. They can run in a small area for 1 to 2 minutes & then are ready to come in & sleep for hours on end. If interested, you should look for a rescue group in your area. A lot of people don't realize that even with the hundreds of rescue groups, thousands of retired racers are euthanized every year. Anyone who goes to the racetrack might as well be holding a gun to their heads. But, besides all of that, there are "greyt" benefits to adopting a retired racer. The good rescue groups cover every detail; they come spayed/neutered and with all of their vaccinations & teeth cleaned. (The adoption fee rarely even covers the cost of all of those things. I've never seen a fee for over $175.). They find the dog that would be the perfect match for your life-style. They can be rescued at any age & they live to be 12 - 14. Many of the dogs are in foster homes before getting adopted, so they have been taught basic house-rules & you wouldn't even have to mess with potty training. They can tell you whether it would prefer to be an only dog or if it gets along with other dogs (small or big), cats, etc.........
Anyway, I could go on & on. Good luck in your search.

Jenny

They ARE awesome dogs!! And we really need more home for them. Our rescued grey,Cashew, was one of the best dogs I ever had!!

taratippy

Would go with greyhounds every day, fab dogs, very calm dont require lots of exercise and very gentle. I've got one of my own and foster for rescue. They do need a comfy spot to sleep though

Get a Wrigley!

We'll we're not really sure about Wrigley's breed--some think border terrier, cocker, lhasa, schnauzer mix but he is incredibly calm. He does not bark..he doesn't run around much..doesn't make noise at night..pretty much just lays under the coffee table chewing on a toy all evening..one 25 min walk is enough to tire him out--and he is only 5 mo! But as we are unclear of what mixture he is--good luck tracking one down LOL!

I also recommend Bassets as calm--our neighbor has one and besides the low baying at times he generally just lays around the back yard.

Members online

No members online now.