I've just read something....

Debi

that said people can get scabies mite and mange mite from puppies (or, dogs, I assume) I have heard of scabies and thought it was not transferred from animals....so I am wondering if anyone knows more about this?? I am aware of mange and didn't think that was applicable to people....but seems it is....and it is itchy and awful. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this...........now I am itching from just reading....lol...I am such a dork. :D

I've never heard of mange being transferable to humans. Haven't really thought about scabies. Maybe you could ask your vet? Somewhere in my archives I've got a site where you can ask questions of a panel of vets. I wasn't terribly impressed with them, so I didn't use it much, but maybe I can find it.

pitbulliest

I've talked to a few people that had dogs which caught mange. Thank God most of them recovered...and as far as I know I don't THINK its transferable to humans. Not 100% sure. It's quite dangerous and alot of dogs don't make it. Very sad indeed :(

vicki_g_

hi
i dont think you can get mange but you CAN get scabies and it can easliy be speed from 1 person to anouther
make me itch thinking about it lol
vik

Cidney

I get chiggers from just looking at tall grass in a field somewhere, in fact I just had to go to the doctor this past Monday for chiggers. I have never admitted this to ANYONE, but one time I got some kind mite that was driving me crazy from itching so much. It wasnt chiggers because whatever was causing me to itch so much didnt leave any marks. Ok, this is the part I have never told anyone - I used the dogs tick, flea and lice shampoo and it worked! I have no idea exactly what was biting on me and whatever I had didnt seem to effect my husband or the dogs. Whew, I feel better for getting that secret off my chest, haha!

vicki_g_

- I used the dogs tick, flea and lice shampoo and it worked! I have no idea exactly what was biting on me and whatever I had didnt seem to effect my husband or the dogs. Whew, I feel better for getting that secret off my chest, haha![/QUOTE]

he he i have used it on the kids for nits lol it worked :D

vicki

Don't feel too bad, Cidney. Some of us literally 'taste' better to bugs than others, and women apparently have a sweeter taste to them than men do.

Nice move, using the dog shampoo! It saved you from having to buy the human stuff at the store . . . you know that'd be the time you ran into absolutely everyone you know in the check out line! ;)

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

my rotty/ blue heelr had a type of mange that wasnt even contagious towards other dogs

Debi

This made me itch because I am someone that just walks outside......and all the mosquitoes or whatever must yell "FREE BUFFET" cause I get a zillion bites........my hubby NEVER gets any. So as I read this......I'm thinking...OMG, if it is true.........I'll get it! LOL Maybe cause I already have so many skin allergies.......or I'm just paranoid. I didn't want to get anything that said "MANGE".........that's just too creepy. My poor pups will now get even more baths and grooming............IF that even helps. :eek:

Poor Debi, don't worry too much. Mange isn't seen very often in well cared for dogs, and your best defense is regular observation and good nutrition and keeping them from contact with stray, ill dogs.

S

Sadarra

Mange is transferable to humans. My sister purchased a doxie pup from a pet store (she went without me, typical sister won't listen to a word I say) and low and behold the puppy had mange (along with an assortment of worms and giardia). 2 days later my sister's 4 year old daughter started itching. They visited the doctor and were put on scabies medication, which both had. They all cleared up (pup included) but, yes, mange is transfered to humans as scabies.

Members online

No members online now.