Have you Rescued? I need your help.

Hi everyone... I could use some help from those of you that have rescued animals.

I am doing a speech on the importance of spaying and neutering.

I was hoping some people could supply me with photos and stories of your rescues to use in my intro and conclusion, I am using one of my cats as an example but would like one or two more examples.

If you would not mind helping me I could use a pic of the animal when you first got them, and one of them now as well as a short story... where you got them, any problems they had, abuse, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Elissa

jess2416

Who woulda thought
*not sure if this is the type of story you were looking for but here it is *

I wanna help :) even though Chloe's story isnt as "bad" as some stories..

if you can use it your more than welcome too..:)

This is Chloe her first day home, she looked so scared, and unsure and she was...she came from an unwanted litter, her and her 7 littermates were found dumped in a ditch beside a busy highway when they were around 5 weeks old and it was in one of the coldest months November..if it wasnt for her rescuer (a horse rescuer nontheless) her and her littermates would be dead...

This is her now

Last edited:

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
As a known rescue person I get many calls.
I have rescued in the last year 4 dogs/pups.
This is Rachel,
She was abandoned by her owner and takin in by a person who didnt want her. They called us to come and get her. They obviously knew nothing about breeding but thought maybe we could use her in our program. :rolleyes: We picked her up vetted her, tested her temperment and found her a awsome home! She is one of the smartest dogs. A real self learner.

This is Harley,
She had a home but they didnt want her anymore. She lived in crummy conditions. We took her in Vetted her, temperment tested and found her an awsome home with acres and acres to run. She is doing awsome still

The saddest was two puppies who were lab/border collie mix
The first day we got them the only thing they poo'd out was diaper gel. No brown poo just diaper gel. They were full of fleas and worms. We drove 2 hours to pick up these two. They were a owner surrender. They got vetted and temperment tested. That was the hardest rescues I did. I was litterally in tears at thier poor health and the disconcern of thier owners.
They both got great homes and are happy today. I cannot find a pic of them right now but will look on my puter. I believe I put thier pics on my other hard drive??

Rescue work is disheartening and really makes you angry at people and thier ignorance. I havent taking in a rescue for several months as my life has gotten too busy. However if I absolutely needed to I would most definatly take in one in a heart beat. It saddens me to see the living conditions of some of these dogs and how poorly kept they were.
I am glad you are doing a speech on this subject. You have a great opportunity to educate those who otherwise may not know or care.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
I've got one, no pic right now though..:( I'll get one soon.

My Dad got his ACD/Pit mix (or at least that is what she looks like) at a shelter. now the story..

My step mom went to a shelter with her friend who was planning on getting a dog and just wanted to go and look. Anyway her friend never got a dog, but of course my step mom saw this poor dog that was minutes away from being PTS. the puppy was sick and one of it's front legs was twisted around onto its back and was very infected. my SM called my dad and of course who could say no? They adopted her and then later she had to have her front leg amputaded and was then dubed 3-Speed.

3-Speed is an awsome dog and is extreamly sweet! :D

A

Angel Chicken

Sure, I'll help.

This is Coby. He was a pup from my uncle's opps litter. He was the only one that servived. His mother killed them all but him. We were moving from place to place, and we wanted Coby to have a nice home. So we sent him to a friend's, who assured us that he would be living in a good home. I went to visit him a month later, and found him outside in a very small kennel with four other dogs, with no food or shelter. So I took him.

Coby stayed with me for while, then I had to move to my father's. He came with me. My father didn't allow him inside, so we built him a nice outside kennel to live in. All was good. Until I had to move again. This time I was moving into my own apartment, and they didn't allow large dogs. So I left him with my father. Once again, I was assured he would be taken care of. He wasn't... he never got fed, and my father sold the kennel that I had built him for money. This is a picture of him then, before I took him to my mother.

My mother then agreed to take him in. She truely saved his life!!

Here he is now, 5 months after! He doesn't always stay outside, but he has a chain outside with a dog house anyway, because she lives in city limits and can't let him run.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I dont know if its my place to write about Charlies story or not but I'm going to..

He just about breaks my heart everytime I see petfinder and still see him listed

This is Charlie, he was another unwanted pup who was left at a vets office..this picture is when he was first placed in foster care... you can see in his eyes that he still hopes for a family to call his own and still has that sparkle in his eyes

This is Charlie now..

He has been in foster care for almost 2 or more years..I dont know if you can see it, but in this picture, his spirit seems broken and it breaks my heart to know that this could have been prevented but it wasnt.. :(

rij73

My dog Hudson was from an unwanted litter of puppies in West Virginia. Someone's unspayed dog got pregnant while roaming around free, and when she had five puppies, the people didn't want to take care of them. So, they just left them outdoors in a dirty pen where all five got mange, lost all their fur, and had scabs and sores all over their skin. Right before the people were going to have all five puppies killed by animal control, a very nice lady rescued them all, took them all to the vet, and then asked a rescue group in New York to come and save as many animals as possible from her area. So, the group went down to West Virginia over Memorial Day weekend, and rescued over 40 dogs and cats. Hudson was one of them.

They didn't take pictures of how he looked when he first got rescued because they say he looked disgusting from the mange. Here is a picture from 3 months after his rescue when most of his fur was grown in, though you can still see how scraggly it is in places...

When I got him, he still had the mange, and his skin had lots of little scabs you could feel. He was also still losing patches of fur now and then. He also broke out into a TERRIBLE skin infection on the third day with me and had to get on antibiotics.

Well here he is now.

He is completely healthy. The vet tested him and said the mange is all gone. She told me this morning that if she didn't know better she'd say by looking at him that he doesn't have or never had a skin condition in his life! By the way, Hudson's rescuers rescued him and one of his sisters, and another rescue group rescued the other 3 puppies. All 5 now have good homes because of the kindness of the woman in West Virginia and the two rescue groups she contacted.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I found a picture to the two mix pups I rescued.
Here they are Princess and Maria

darkchild16

We are Home.
ok i have 4 but only puppy pictures for one

I got booger from a man who let his pits have puppies they were from good parents(both hunt/weight pull dogs) but the parents were brother and sister or father and daughter we arent quite sure which. The condiotions the puppies were kept in were horrible to say the least. They lived a mile from the house with very rare human interaction. She was 8 weeks when we got her and maybe weighed 5 lbs but that was the least of her problems. She had mange, worms and who knows what all else. When she was 6 months old she developed a nerve disorder. She lost all use of anything from halfway down her back. She has no use of her legs and cant wag her tail or tell you when she has to do her "buisness". It got so bad that we were going to have to put her down. Now she is 2 years old and only had relief from her disorder for 2 months. She has learned to use just her front two legs and how to go potty on command. She cant go outside because she cant walk and we cant afford a wheelchair or ramp for our house so she is confined inside, cant play, or get on the couch. But we know she is happy and thats all that matters. If we hadnt got her from teh breeders she would have either died there or died once she developed her disorder because i dont know anyone else who would go through all this through her whole life.

Booger

darkchild16

We are Home.
Walker was 3 months old when we got him from animal services. All i really know is he is from an unwanted litter and him and his sister were the only one left. He wasnt house broke or anything adn underweight and had worms.

him the day after I got him

the pudgy boy now

Tytus we got at 3 months from a "breeder" (my dads friend). My dad heard tehy were going to get put down if they didnt get taken fast so my dad got my whole family together and they all adopted one!! They lived in filthy conditions and werent taken care of. They might have had someone bring food once a week. They hadnt been socialized at all he was infested with worms and all kinds of things and shy as can be. Only now can we have new people come to the house and him not hide.

Tytus the monster dog!! LOL

awww, these storys are all so sad:(. Poppy was half rescued but had a good home before we rescued her, i hope she knows what a lucky dog she is.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Scirracco was an ex-racer that we adopted. He was underweight but thats about it that was wrong with him.

Patches was 1 1/2 when we got her. Her owner had bought her from a pet store in massachuesets(sp?) and then moved down here last year. She decided she no longer wanted to live back here and wanted to move back to Mass. she decided to leave Patches and her 4 shelties with her aging mother with a walker. HEr mother couldnt keep her so they made last minute arangments to leave her at a boarding kennel and have them adopt her out. Well my moms friend was teh guy who owned the house they just bought and he heard about it and we were the "dog people" to my mom co workers so he told her about Patches and my mom decided to get her from the lady then find her a home. Well my brother got back from summer vacation adn now shes got a home. It was love at first sight!!!

Brattina88

I wish I had more pictures uploaded onto the internet of all of my former foster dogs and their success stories... until then, this is all I got :p

Missy - GSD from a kill pound
She is not a foster, I wanted a GSD, and I got one. And she'll live happily ever after, with me. :lol:
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/OH192/OH192.5592977-2-pn.jpg - be4, at the pound
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/OH192/OH192.5592977-1-pn.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v68/Brattina88/th_IMAG0010.jpg - first days home
http://photobucket.com/albums/v68/Brattina88/th_IMAG0007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Brattina88/missy.jpg she was skinny, and had to be nursed back to health
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Brattina88/DCP_2575.jpg - currently love, spoiled, and beautiful. Seriously... people ask me if I show her! ROFL!

Roxy - beagle x from a kill pound
a foster. still in a home she was placed in ;)
http://www.geocities.com/cyberhoundsim/cage45.jpg - be4, at the pound
http://www.geocities.com/cyberhoundsim/roxy.jpg - after, well adjusted and socialized

bubbatd

I've rescued many over the years . Don't have pictures , but this was my worst . When I lived in Muncie , I worked closely with the HS there . Whenever a Golden came in , they would call me . One day they picked up a young Golden who had been tied to a dog house from day one on a cable . When they got him , you couldn't even see the cable around his neck ...it was completely embedded , infected and full of maggots . He was at the vet's ...luckily mine ... when I was contacted . After about 3 days , I was able to bring him to my house . Poor baby had had no socializing . A few of us were in the works to start our Golden rescue ( years later GRRACE ) I kept him until one of the " members " who was into training took over . By then , he was able to accept some loving . I've always wondered how he made out . I know he was adopted though .

bubbatd

Addie to my story . I was always having Bubba write to the newspapers ( people tend to read from animals , and Bubba had his own logo .LOL ! Anyway , he wrote about the fate of this pup and bashed his owners . The result : over $500 towards the vet costs !! Ask and ye shall receive !

missbeckydee

Yee Wee Beastie
Yay for rescues!!!

Here's Jester's pic from Petfinder...how could we not want him?

He and his sister were saved from a home where they were neglected. They were living in the backyard among trash, a broken down truck, you name it. They were taken to West Alabama Animal Rescue and they were put up for adoption. His sister was adopted first, so he was all alone for a couple weeks. We saw his picture and immediately fell in love with him. We drove all the way to Alabama to get him (we live in Mississippi) and when he saw us he ran to us and licked us all over. We knew he was ours! He's such a wonderful, loving little guy, and here he is now...

Julie

I am back again.
I have some perfect pictures for you.......... this was a young kitten rescued from my neighbors yard. He was blinded by infection, flea infested, worm infested, and I could not ignore this poor kitten. This is the kind of kittens that come from dirty surrondings, no health care, and neglectful owners. The kind that don't spay/neuter their cats........

When I "had" to intervene......

Only 2 days later with only inhome care and medicines....

This was 25 days after I intervened......

No comments on the food..... This was a set up, for a contest before I "got" educated about animal nutrition. ;) I also won.....Lol....

Since I do NOT have an ideal "cat" home he was rehomed.

If you would like original pictures for better printing, just let me know.

Julie.

Members online

No members online now.