Help required

Jazzie

Hi everyone,
i sure hope i can get some help as i am in a real muddle.

We were due to pick our new puppy up at the weekend,he would of been 7 nearly 8 weeks old.The breeder had phoned me before this to say that the puppies were not eating/drinking very well and were hence not growing as fast as they should.The vet went to see them today and said she was not to let them go now until they are 12 weeks old!
What do i do? Am i worrying for no reason or should i leave them well alone.
She says there are no other problems and that there is no reason why they should not catch up.
I am also worried about the social side of things,he is missing precious time.

Please help

Kerry [They are Bearded Collies by the way]

Brattina88

Did you get a chance to speek to the vet, or the breeder told you this? If not it wouldn't hurt to call and ask the vet yourself. If its a 'good' breeder than ignore me when I say that the breeder could be having negitive thoughts about letting the babies go and want to keep them longer. You want the pups to be eating well on their own before taking them away so there isn't a risk of health problems, lack of nutrition. On the bright side of things it'll give you a couple more weeks to fully prepare yourself. 8-12 weeks is the optimum socialization period and a good time to start 'kindergarten' puppy training. A good breeder should know this and make an attempt to do so. 12-14wks is when serious puppy training should take place because its the age when they test dominence and when nipping could become a problem if the pup isn't taught not to do so...
HTH :)

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
Kerriy, it's not uncommon for breeders to keep purebred puppies until they are 12 weeks old. Reputable breeders want to make certain that the pups are healthy, have a good start at socialization, and are ready to go to new homes. Even if the breeder doesn't socialize, I wouldn't worry about your pup's social needs being neglected. I'm confident you will be able to teach him the rules. :)
Kit

From limited information, I'm inclined to tell you not to worry about having to wait two or three more weeks. If this is a good breeder you feel confident in, then the breeder will have the pups' best interests at heart.

Maybe a good solution, if you're close enough, would be to go visit with your pup. Have you already picked out the one you want? If you are an experienced dog owner, the breeder may feel confident enough to let you take the pup a week or so earlier, but if not, try not to feel offended. A breeder who places their puppies' welfare above making a sale should be cherished and respected.

pitbulliest

Hmm..well personally I'd actually be a bit suspicious..but than again that's my nature. Do you know alot about this breeder and did you make sure that you picked a responsible and reputable one?

Actually, going home before 8 weeks is a bad thing. Pups should stay with their mother for at least 8 weeks so the longer the better. My other question is, did this vet provide you with health documentation on both the parents? This is really important..you should know the background of the pup you're getting and if there's any potential health problems that run in the family (in that case the breeder shouldn't even be breeding the dogs in the first place..but anyways)...

Keep us updated k?

Jazzie

Thanks for all the help and information.
Murphy will be 10 weeks Friday and we are collecting him on Saturday :)
He is eating well and the vets have given him a clean bill of health,his first batch of vacinations have been done and all looks well.
The breeder has asked us to return him to her should any problems arise and we have been in contact with her vet,just to make sure in our minds that he is ok.
I have already put his name on a list to begin his first puppy class and that starts on the 30th of September.All being well i should have some pics to post at the weekend.

Thanks again for help and advice

Kerry

Members online