11 Year old Chow in pain

Jiffer

:( My 11 year old Chow has been yelping in pain every so often for about a day. It is not obvious what is causing this and she seems relatively fine other than her sudden outbursts from time to time. It is 3:45 in the morning right now. I woke up to one of her outbursts and couldn't go back to sleep thinking about what it could be. I know she is old for a Chow and I fear that when I take her to the vet, I may not be bringing her home. I'm sure it's quite possible the vet will give me some medicine for her and send me on my way or suggest surgery or something to "fix" the problem. But I fearfully visualize them saying there is nothing they can do for her and recommending putting her to sleep.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing her pain? Is there a common condition that occurs in older Chows, or dogs in general, that this may be? She does seem to have hip trouble, as is common in Chows, but I don't think this is the source of her sudden yelps.

One of my concerns is my kids. I remember coming home when I was about 8 or 9 to find that my mom had taken our beloved cocker spaniel to have her put down due to a painful and incureable skin condition. It was hard not to blame my mom even though I basically understood. I never got to say goodbye, which was sad. But, on the other hand, it may have been even harder to know beforehand what was about to happen. So, basically, whether my Chow has a few days or a few years, I do worry about how "the end" will occur and how my kids will be affected and if they will, for instance, be standing there with me if and when the Dr. says it's time to put her down. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

So, basically, this is a two question post.

Thank you!

First, get her to the vet. It's possible that it's something minor and completely treatable. Since it's started suddenly, I'm inclined to guess that it could be some injury and not a chronic condition; but that's just a guess. It could be anything and it's impossible to know without getting her examined.

I understand how frightened and saddened you are at the thought of losing her suddenly, and your concerns for your children are valid.

First: Don't Borrow Trouble. Find out what's wrong before you start thinking the worst, driving yourself crazy.

No, if the worst case scenario does happen, you shouldn't acquiese immediately. Have your vet give you some pain medication and tranquilizers for your dear Chow, and bring her home. Give yourself and your kids a chance to say good bye - and give her a chance to say good bye to you, too. (I'm sitting here crying while I write this.) Everyone needs a chance to say their good byes and last 'I love yous.'

But get her to the vet. You could have years with her still. You never know. What's her name, by the way?

Keep us posted; our thoughts are with you.

Jiffer

Thanks Renee. Her name is Chelsea.

A little while ago she started barking at someone at the door, but in between barks were yelps. It was very strange.

I feel a little better after reading some posts somewhere else on the internet about Chows.

I'll keep you posted.

Members online