Doing her business - or not...

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
I'm having a little problem with Misha doing her business and would like any advice you have on encouraging a dog to go to the loo in a new place. Her favourite place has become a no-go area and she is refusing to anything more than the occasional wee & poo on the next best place i've found. She just stands there staring up the road towards one of the paths we used to take. The only place she will still go happily is on the beach, which, even though of course I pick up, isn't really an option now we are heading towards summer. She used to go morning and night, but this week I'm lucky if I can get her to go once a day, I feel bad as it must be getting uncomfortable, or is once a day okay? I think the local community are having bets on how long I will stand there saying "do a poo" while she stands there with her back to me. I feel i'm probably losing the battle of wills, but also I'm still pretty new to all this and could be doing something or saying something to make matters worse......

Purr

~3 Mutts~
How about taking some of her "stuff", and putting it in the new place. Then let her smell it, and tell her "good girl Misha!" As for peeing....I don't know about that one. Sorry. Hope everything works out for you and Misha!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Just make sure u take her for a long run somewhere while she gets use to her new place..nothing like the clean out of a good run...they can be so stubborn....

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks, yes, I'll go out again now, avoid the beach and see how we get on. I guess at some point something has got to happen.............

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
No result, we walked, we ran, we tried some other suitable places and finally we went back to 'the place', she sniffed her 'stuff' and just as she started making all the right signs of going, a lady in the house nearby banged her door shut.....and that was that......we are now both back, hot, frustated and one of us i guess is going to end up very uncomfortable......but i bet in two hours time it is me that gives-in.........:(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
just don't let her get impacted....when i take Mary to the off leash park, well..all i can say is it is mighty good for an old gurl.

bonster

Disappointed :(
Hi Martine

Typical!! Lots of out-of-season beach areas in Spain have the opposite problem of course - dog poop everywhere and no bins :D

Anyway... check this thread out where the topic of 'new places' came up before mixed in with a travelling thread -- I think its all about comfort.

Bonnie is pretty routined for "potty" - almost always same place/same time when at home and I get reminded if I leave it late to go out... - it always takes her a while to settle in a new place even when away for a few days and any distraction can throw her....

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2375

Good luck!

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks! We are back at the beach for the moment, she is just too stubborn for words. Hopefully the older she gets she will mellow about it.....

Members online

No members online now.