My puppy won't listen to me!

magsmommy

We have a 8.5 week Victorian Bulldog, and he is wonderful for my husband. If he bites him he just has to say OW! and Magnus will let go or mouth very gently. If he bites me and I say OW! or OUT even as loudly as I can, he will still continue to bite hard. Obviously my husband has been able to establish his dominance, but I haven't. How can I assert my dominance over this puppy so he will listen to me as well as my husband? I have tried yelping as a littermate might if he hurts them, and this just seems to get him more excited. I have ignored him after a bite for a couple of minutes but when I go back to try again it is the same old thing. He has lots of toys and I have tried diverting his attention from hands by giving him toys but it doesn't always work. I am very frustrated because I don't feel safe being in control of him if my husband is not home. I certainly wouldn't want him to be around kids at this point in case he hurts them. I would truly appreciate any advice you could offer.

Are you saying 'Ow' low enough? Try to have your voice be as growly and angry (DO NOT yell or hurt him though) as possible. Look him straight in the eye. Don't move your hand while he is biting it as this encourages him to hold on tighter, keep it still until he lets go. Once he does let go, give him his favorite chew toy. It takes persistance, but he WILL stop.

As for being dominant - there can only be one pack leader in your house, and it sounds like it's your husband. Although you'll never be the leader now, it's important that you're right after your husband in the 'pack'. Make your puppy sit for his food, before he goes in the house from outside, before he gets to play with a toy that you're holding. Nothing in life is free, and you and your husband are in control of everything he owns.

magsmommy

Thanks for your reply. I do try to use my most masculine voice when I yell OW! and it definately am loud. I should say that sometimes he does listen but when he is really fired up it is impossible for me to gain control again. I have him sit before he eats and we have been working on recall commands with pretty good success. It really is just the biting that is the problem now. I have not hit him, nor do I ever intend to as I know this can just make things worse. Thanks for your suggestions.

Great! Just don't too loud, as it might also entice him to play even more. Also, I've heard that if he bites you you can squirt a little water/vinegar mixture right on the nose. You can also spray some bitter apple on your hands so it tastes bad if he bites it.

Members online

No members online now.