In need of advice and/or opinion

Hello to all:

First of all I am new to the forum and would like to say hi.

Here is my problem....

I brought two poodles into our family two years ago. Their names are Jake ( a miniature cream 18 pounds poodle.) Sammy is an adorable 9 pound creme toy poodle. Jake started having skin problems immediately. After a set of his shots at around six months old, he developed a bald spot on his shoulder. The Dr. treated this spot and his itching as a food allergy, gave him cortiscone, antihistimines and put him on fish and potato food. The bald spot remained and no hair grew back. Meanwhile, I spent a fortune on Jake trying to treat his allergies.

About three months ago, Sammy developed an irritation on his shoulder the same place as Jake a couple of weeks after his booster shots. I immediately took him to the Vet and he said Sammy had allergies, gave him cortiscone and told me to give him fish and potato food also. The irritation grew worse and he lost the hair on that area just like Jake. I took Sammy back to the Vet and they did a skin scraping and biopsy and it was negative. The Vet said they were going to treat both dogs for mites. Keep in mind, neither of these places are red or are itching at this point. The skin was regular color, it was just bald.

I decided that I didn't like the Vet's diagnosis so I took them both to a Dermatologist. He took one look at the bald spots and said the bald spots were a result of an injection perhaps the rabies shot. The dogs did not have mites.

Has this happened to anyone else on this Board? Am I being unreasonable to expect the Vet to not put Jake thriough a year and a half of injections and pills and Sammy three months for treating the spots when it was the result of a reaction to the booster shots? I have called the Vet three times to discuss this and they will not call me back. The dermatologist said the hair will never grow back because the hair follicles have died. He did confirm that Jake has allergies and put him on a different medication and fish oil. Meanwhile, both of my dogs are left with huge bald spots on their shoulder.

Any comments and or suggestions would be most appreciated.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I was through something similar, but not NEARLY as extreme.

My lab/chow mix, Shiner, had developed some VERY weird red bumps on her belly, along with some bald red spots on her legs, and very itchy skin. She wouldn't stop scratching, so I took her to a vet, who INSISTED that it was an allergy to the human shampoo that I used to bathe her. She gave me some medicated shampoo, that didn't do a single thing. I came back, showing her that the dog's condition was worse, and she insisted yet again, that it was something that I was doing when I was bathing her. She ran bloodwork, ($90 for a dog over 8 yrs. old) and she aid that nothing was wrong.

I took her to my friend, a vet tech and groomer, who told me that it was grass fleas causing the itching, and the bald red spots were hot spots, which were likely caused out of stress from all the itching. She said to keep her out of the tall grass, and *gasp* guess what? No more itching.

As for your dogs' bald spots... There's not much you can do in that situation. As a lesson to everyone whose dogs aren't responding to their vet's treatments, seek alternate advice, whether it's a different vet, or just an experienced friend.

pitbulliest

I would definately get a second and third opinion ...remember..alot of vets are in it for the money. The first dog I had went through the same thing and we ended up losing him because of all the filth the so called VET harpooned into my poor dog...I believe medicines and injections are the last resort..you can also check out some holistic veterinarians..they may be a little more expensive but they're more open to herbal and more natural remedies than using unnecessary chemicals which can only do your dog harm at times...

Also, where did you get your dogs from? I always remind people never to purchase animals from pet shops..especially dogs and cats..most of the time they come from puppy mills from parents that have not been properly health checked, and which are forced to breed in terrible conditions and left in tiny kennels for nearly their entire lives... this definately plays a huge role in the outcome of the puppies which end up being sold in your local pet shop.

Also, because your dogs are miniature poodles (I assume purebred)...they may have more health problems than other breeds...this is what I've read anyways.....well I suggest you definately get some second opinions and if you have the time and money, even check out a holistic vet. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your pups...keeping fingers crossed.

TiggersDad

Possible help

Hi Palmtrees, Just a quickie. Check out my signature site for information and numerous testimonials similar to your situation. Also we feature a great nutritionist, who freely consults through our site, to whom you can submit questions. She has her own website with many great articles. I sent you a private message with a link to her allergy article, you might check your inbox. -Good Luck-

In Answer to your question

I have now gotten three opinions and the last two have supported the concept that the bald spot was caused by an injection site reaction.

Additionally, to answer your question about where I got the dogs. I bought them from a very reputable breeder that only breeds poodles. She only does two litters a year and the puppies are taken care of in her home. I have several friends who have purchased from her and they have all been happy.

This whole experience has left a bad tast in my mouth with their Vet. I have switched all their records.

By the way, thank you for your comments. They are most appreciated.

pitbulliest said:
I would definately get a second and third opinion ...remember..alot of vets are in it for the money. The first dog I had went through the same thing and we ended up losing him because of all the filth the so called VET harpooned into my poor dog...I believe medicines and injections are the last resort..you can also check out some holistic veterinarians..they may be a little more expensive but they're more open to herbal and more natural remedies than using unnecessary chemicals which can only do your dog harm at times...

Also, where did you get your dogs from? I always remind people never to purchase animals from pet shops..especially dogs and cats..most of the time they come from puppy mills from parents that have not been properly health checked, and which are forced to breed in terrible conditions and left in tiny kennels for nearly their entire lives... this definately plays a huge role in the outcome of the puppies which end up being sold in your local pet shop.

Also, because your dogs are miniature poodles (I assume purebred)...they may have more health problems than other breeds...this is what I've read anyways.....well I suggest you definately get some second opinions and if you have the time and money, even check out a holistic vet. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your pups...keeping fingers crossed.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Not sure if this will help... but our Jack Russell Terrier when given her rabies shot lost all of her hair in a 2x2 inch area on her hip. When I asked the vet about it she said it was a "rabies site" reaction (meaning the area around where the rabies shot was given was affected) and that most likely she would not grow back the hair in this area!

Just like you, I was very upset! I had not idea that dogs could have this type of reaction to vaccinations that we are "required" to give them. The only good news on this for our Lucy... she did grow hair back in this area within 1 year... but it isn't as thick as it was before! I can still "see" the outline of where the hair was that she lost, but at least the whole area is no longer bald! Just not sure how this will all turn out the next time she needs her rabies shot!

Karen, Lucy & Holly

Members online

No members online now.