I know, it's been awhile....

RD

Are you dead yet?
But I have just about finished the school year off! That means a bit more time on my hands and more time to post.

Sooo.. Since it's been so long, do any of you (Renee in particular) remember this?

Over a period of 5 months he has turned into this:

That little hairball is now a demo dog at an OB class, one of the "regulars" at an after-school program, and a total joy to live with. He's on his way to his C.D. and we're going to have him take his CGC test ASAP. I'm so happy with the dog he turned out to be, he and I are a great match.

The other little hairball is doing okay as well. We are going through some temperament problems along with health problems, but I am seeing a slight improvement in both. (Or, perhaps it's because I've been driven insane by them and am hallucinating.) His luxating patellas, unlike mine, are not giving him trouble and we are starting agility training back up.

I hope you all are doing well! I will be able to hop on here and post more, once I take my final exams. It's good to be back here.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Welcome back! :D As I said on the post your favourite pic thread, Dakota is just magnificent! You have every right to be proud of him! :D We lost Martin my Bf's colley 2 years ago! :( Dakota looks so much like him it's uncanny!! Although at the end Rascal looked like he'd been through the dryer! All his hair just stood out on ends!! Like a huge powder puff! Bless his heart!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh my what the ball of fluff turned into. Dakota is so handsome now! It amazes me how much they can change as they grow older. Congrats on his now being a demo dog at the OB class. You must be proud!

He's turned out to be magnificent - but we knew he would! Already got that BC Stare down, too - and a very intimidating one he's got! And so accomplished at such a young age - both of you!

Sorry to hear you and Ripley have been having knee problems . . . hope both of you heal up better than new! Be careful; knees are tricky. Make sure both of you are okay before you try to do too much.

Has Dakota been trying to herd Ripley any?

Make sure you do well on those exams. We're all looking forward to having you back - you've been missed. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
beautiful pup bloomed into a gorgous DOG sounds like just as awesome in spirit as well.

Doberluv

Gorgeous Rip! You should definitely be proud. He's making leaps and bounds.

Sorry to hear about your knees too! Gosh, that's no good. I do wish you to heal up. And glad that Ripley is doing OK and even making some improvement. Good job!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Renee, Dakota and Ripley have been kept separated quite a bit. Too much conflict between the two. Dakota doesn't often try to herd Ripley, but he does herd Buster around the house. I'm going to need to get him around some sheep soon.

EliNHunter, the sweet old guy in the background is mom's Labrador mix, Buster. He spends most of his time on that bed, just hanging out. :)

So the little "rat with a wig" isn't giving up his position as ruler of the house, hmm? Now why doesn't that surprise me. I still get tickled every time I think about your Dad calling him that - and picture Ripley curled up sleeping on his lap, lol! The ones they make fun of always end up being the most spoiled. I just love that Big Dog Attitude of Ripley's. And I do think he's gorgeous.

You might want to consider pygmy goats too, if you'd rather not deal with sheep, although you do have to have a very good fence for goats! Have you ever seen those little Highland cattle? I've tried to figure out a reason to have a few of them, lol!

When Dakota starts really wanting to herd, watch out! Nothing is sacred. If that drive is strong they'll herd absolutely anything. You can throw some of those big toy balls out in the yard and teach him gather them into an area to keep him busy.

You should see my three herding each other . . . :rolleyes:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Renee, I can't convince my parents that another dog might be a good thing, how in the world would I get them to let me start my own little mini-ranch in the backyard? LOL!
Any animals that I work Dakota on will not belong to me unforunately.

I was actually presented with an awesome opportunity from a BC breeder I've been talking with online for quite some time. (We play the same online dog-show game.) If I ever do get this danged knee fixed, she is interested in hiring me as a full-time hand at her ranch over the summer. In working for her, along with pay, she will give me a Border Collie pup as well as free herding training for the pup and Dakota, and the experience to work with 15+ BCs on a massive flock of sheep. This won't be for another year, and I haven't even brought it up with my parents yet, but if they approve of it I will be there in a heartbeat. I miss being on a ranch.

Ripley still tries to rule the household. Wonder how you guessed that. ;) He has, however, graduated from being called the "rat with a wig" by my dad to "rat dog" and several rather vulgar names relating to his housebreaking problems. :p If nothing else, he is a character. lol.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Why thank you! I think he's a handsome little guy as well.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Purr, apparently she already had one (????? rofl.) And either was not fully aware of it or just totally forgot it. :rolleyes:
It's neglected, so as soon as finals are over I think I'll talk to her about keeping it a little more updated. I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks, I feel guilty. :(

Members online

No members online now.