husky? (image warning)

Ænima

hey everyone...

we brought a dog from a pet shop about 6 months ago, we were told but the pet shop worker that my dog was a full breed husky, but unfortunately, we only recieved the papers from the mother i believe...

but recently, we have wondered whether she is a full bred husky, because over the last month there wasnt been much growth, especially in the back legs...

so i was wondering if there was anyway of identifying whether she was full bred or not?

(sorry about the pictures, she wouldnt give me a decent shot)

this is at 9 months old (now)

and this was at christmas

Hi Enima, Welcome to Chazhound Forums.
Nice looking dog! It wouldn't matter to me if it was pure or
not unless your are going to breed her or work her.
You might want to have an area breeder take a look at her
or try to reasearch the father's identity to be sure.

Chazhound

Hi there, Ænima,

As Chazhound says, unless you're planning on breeding or showing, which you don't sound as if you are, I wouldn't worry about it too much, except, or course that you wonder if the pet store lied to you and did they lie to you about anything important like health issues. I would guess, though, that your vet has checked her out and cleared her health-wise.

I really wouldn't worry too much about her size, since a Siberian Husky, by standard, isn't actually a very large dog; the breed standard for females is usually held to be between 20" to 22" and between 35 and 50 pounds. I've seen too many Siberians bred for excessive size, ignoring the truly significant aspects of the breed, its strength, intelligence, faithfulness, beauty, joy of life and unflagging determination.

By the way, the second photo and the last two are really nice shots. She has such a sweet, expressive face. I love her wide open, beautiful eyes and her soft markings. What's her name?

You're going to have a lot of fun with her. May the two of you have a long and loving relationship with wonderful adventures each and every day!

Ænima

its sasha... ;)

well actually, we were thinking of breeding her, so thats why i wanted to know if theres any easy way of identifying if she has any other breed in her, we will probably have to find out what the father was...

Sasha is a great name for a Siberian Husky.

I'd be very wary of breeding an animal purchased from a commercial pet store. As to not receiving her full pedigree from both sides, if she was sold to you as a purebred - with papers - you absolutely should have the full pedigree, along with the registration papers to send in.

Serena, Topline and several others are much more knowledgeable about that sort of thing than I am, so hopefully one or more of them will pick up this thread.

I just got a siberian husky pup for christmas from a pet shop. mine is 5 months old and you may think that he or she isn't growing but they are. Your dog looks a lot bigger than mine. My dog Arcata is only 35lbs I think that you have a full husky ours looks a lot alike.

siberian husky....

She looks like a full siberian husky to me. I would like to suggest that you not breed her unless you have a valid reason. For example she has some sort of obedience title, or a nice line that you would like to keep flowing. She is very pretty but buying a dog from the pet store is not the best choice. usually these dogs come from puppy mills, and we all know how bad they are. Its a lot of work to have puppies. They need shots, check ups, good food, lots of time. My friend breeds sibs and we sat down one night and added up what she spent and what she sold them for. If your lucky and you do it right you might get your money back. Think of the extra's. What if something happens to one or all of the pups during pregnancy or birth? What if she has problems during pregnancy or birth? One of my other friends just lost a mother dog and the entire litter within 2 weeks of having the puppies due to complications. Really if there are no papers on her, and you have no other valid reason to have puppies I really suggest you have her spayed. The $100-200 that you spend will keep her from ever getting ovarian cancer, and no more bleeding. Besides that imagine always having to wonder if the puppies are taken care of or if they have ended up at the pound is really not worth it. If there is any doubt in your mind visit a shelter and look at the dogs in the cages waiting for homes. Many are pure bred. Some with and some without papers. There are so many dogs put to sleep daily, many of them even puppies.

Great post, Serena, and thanks, you've really verbalized the reasons we plan to breed our Filas. They're a rare breed, but it would be very easy for the wrong people to become enamored of them and ruin them as a working breed, accomplishing nothing but turning them into another large breed with a horrible reputation. There is already too much controversy and questionable breeding in their native Brazil, where some of the money motivated breeders are crossing lines with other mastiff breeds and having them certified as Fila Brasilieros by show judges. Often, too, show breeders are breeding down the temperament and working instincts to get a "show dog" that is easier to handle and is more and more homogenous with the better known mastiffs.

Our Shiva's sire was an imported show dog from Brazil, and there is a definite difference in her temperament and she is not as instinctually driven to herd as Buffy was or Kharma (from the same bloodlines as Buffy) is showing herself to be, even at 4 months old. We will be breeding Shiva; she's a phenomenal physical specimen, has superb agility and great acceleration and speed, especially for a dog her size, and we willl be breeding her to a male with very strong working instincts and a very "hard" Fila temperament to (theoretically) realize pups with great physical characteristics, a moderately hard temperament and good working instincts.

Kharma's going to be interesting when it comes time for her to have a litter. She's already showing classic Fila temperament and wants to move the cows around. Her protective instincts were apparent the from the first day she was home with us, so we'll have somewhat different expectations from a sire for her litter.

We can only hope, for the future, that the AKC never takes an interest in our breed and that the Fila Brasiliero never becomes too popular.

You're so right about the American bred GSD. My first GSD, Purdue, was a real throwback to the old fashioned GSDs; shorter legs, broader chest, moderate size, very athletic and able to cut and accelerate as you would expect from a herding breed, passionately aware of the world around him and very clever. The GSDs I've had since then have all been rescues, and with the exception of one, were mixed. They've been more "German Shepherd" in physique, disposition and capabilities than the modern pure breds I've been acquainted with. Bimmer, especially, seems to have come out of an optimum mix. He's very much like Purdue, but actually even more athletically gifted. The only real difference is the wolf part of him drives him to hunt and eat his kills, which isn't a bad thing on a farm where groundhogs, especially, are a problem. He's still completely trustworthy with even the newborn calves and is a tremendous help herding.

Have you noticed that the modern GSD has a very similar configuration in the hindquarters and similar gait to a racking horse?

Hi,
Welcome to chazhound!
It looks to me like a full bred siberian husky we have one but she is not full bred.
I would ask the vet or a breeder.
:)

Sheba

I W A L R
doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is! doggy doggy ding dong!!!!ask me what kind of dog sasha is!

Serena said:
The main confliction I have with the NA GSD is the lack of working heritage and ability possessed by these dogs. At times I question are these dogs made to be nothing more than pretty? Could they work and are they just denied doing so?

As far as the conformation of the NA GSD goes, I'm not similar with a racking horse nor their gait so I honestly can not compare the two. I do know when looking over a stacked GSD I hate seeing how it looks like their standing on their hocks. (Thinking that's the right word, my brain isn't working at the moment you know what I mean though).

Personally I love West German showlines, pretty dogs that CAN work.
I almost cried the first time I saw a stable where racking horses were boarded and trained. I hope it wasn't typical, but I'm afraid it probably was. The horses are kept in their individual paddocks except for the time they are being worked by their trainer. Their feet stay weighted all the time. They are trained to hold their hocks down in an artificial slope, much like the slope of the hindquarters of the modern GSD show dog. The gait is very wonderful and smooth for the rider; front feet lifted very high, back feet gliding and all but dragging with each step - very much like watching the GSD in the show ring. The rider glides along, but it certainly doesn't look like a natural or comfortable gait for the beast. Just once I'd like to see one of these beautiful horses decided it's had enough and throw a rider in the middle of a show!

What is wrong with us that we can't stand to allow creatures to be themselves?

The first time I ever saw a Fila was at this rich guys house. We were doing a plumbing job there (I lasted two weeks) and when we pulled up, there were two "bloodhoundish" looking dogs that ran up to the truck and stared at us. The woman living there runs out and says to the dogs "they are O-K". We got out and the dogs sniffed us, and then followed us around while she showed us the problem. Well, it turned out it was a huge deal and the bathroom floor was going to have to be torn up and while we were waiting for the jackhammer and some other stuff to arrive, I asked her about the dogs, and she said they were Fila Brasileros. I had never heard of the breed before. The one dog (they had cutesy Brazilian names) decided I was ok, and got pretty friendly with me right away. The other dog, the younger one, was ok, but really didn't care anything about me one way or another. What got me was all the standing they both did on their back legs checking us out and just doing it because they liked it. The one kept looking over the top of the couch all the time looking at us (mostly me petting his buddy). We were there several days and by the end, both dogs were my buddies, but the guys I worked with weren't treated as nicely as I was. The dogs got in between them and the 2 little kids, but I noticed right away they never did it to me. If a dog doesn't like me, a lot, it's usually not "right".

I ran into the same people a couple of years later at the local dog show and the older dog was there, and he climbed up on me as soon as he saw me. They were shocked at this, as he was usually cool towards people he didn't see all the time.

That speaks very highly of you, Ratboy. Filas are famous for the ojeriza, the strong , natural aversion to strangers. Some Filas have 'harder' dispositions that others. Our Buffy was extremely hard; not only did she have to know you very well and accept you, if you were somewhere she didn't think you belonged she'd get torqued. And she really seemed to enjoy the fact that she could make anyone or anything afraid of her. I loved her beyond all reason, but I'll have to admit she had a sadistic streak in that monumental ego of hers.

Shiva still hasn't met a stranger! She's the friendliest Fila in the history of the breed, and everyone just loves her, although I've been warned that she could come into a real temperament as she matures or when she has a litter. Kharma's not quite as hard as Buffy was at this age, but she's definitely shaping up to have the classic Fila temperament.

That behaviour you saw of the Fila getting between the kids and strangers is classic. If you've got a Fila, you certainly don't have to worry about anyone snatching your kids! On the other hand, you don't want the neighbor kids to rough house with your kids in case the dog thinks they're not playing, but that holds true for any breed of dog. And I certainly don't worry about being here by myself when Charlie's got to go to the big furniture markets!

Good post Serena! You hit the nail on the head.
Dont forget the fact that you can also loose your ***** during complications. My Grace is probably going to whelp tonight. (Her temp dropped this morning) I am sooo stressed out and will probably spend the night in the whelping room. She is a reg hungarian Vizsla and we have put a lot of thought and planning into this. Last year we did an AI with a false pregnancy as a result.

pitbulliest

Ænima said:
hey everyone...

we brought a dog from a pet shop about 6 months ago, we were told but the pet shop worker that my dog was a full breed husky, but unfortunately, we only recieved the papers from the mother i believe...

but recently, we have wondered whether she is a full bred husky, because over the last month there wasnt been much growth, especially in the back legs...

so i was wondering if there was anyway of identifying whether she was full bred or not?

(sorry about the pictures, she wouldnt give me a decent shot)

this is at 9 months old (now)

and this was at christmas

First of all, no matter whoever I speak to I always tell them NEVER EVER to buy a dog from a pet shop. Most pet shops purchase their dogs from puppy mills which are outright cruel and keep the dogs in disgusting conditions. Many dogs coming from pet shops will actually develop health problems because of the fact that puppy mills just don't care about the parents health, or that of the puppies. Furthermore alot of puppies that go into pet shops are too young to be taken from their mother in the first place. Its sad that you didn't look into a dog from a shelter or a reputable breeder before you went to a pet shop. However, I do hope you're lucky and your dog doesn't suffer from alot of health problems like I have witnessed with dogs coming out of shops. I hope that you also do some research and never recommend anybody buying their pets from a pet shop again. Good luck with your new dog.

Members online