bubbatd.....petunia question for ya

Debi

you mentioned that the wave petunias don't need deadheaded.....WOW, did that catch my attention. I love petunias..but they seem to look scraggly for me all too quickly. with the wave petunias...do you still have to pinch them back to keep them more bushy? (that's what I think I do wrong with reg. petunias) or could I use them in an upstairs windowbox...and would they maybe drape over the box? I put them in one of the upper windowboxes one year...since deadheading was an issue, they didn't really look too nice. I really love the coral colored ones, and they would look great. Since I'm on a ramble...lol....any good suggestions for windowboxes?? One is on the north side...hardly any sun so I usually keep impatiens in that one. But the other one gets afternoon sun and I'd love to try something new. (I've just been putting impatiens in that one, too, but have to water a couple times a day in that window due to sun) It's too hard to deadhead any flower cause my screen doesn't just pop out...it's a major pain in the patootie. I just have a squirt bottle and water from inside thru the screens. Thanks!! have a great day!! :D (I can't use any exotic flowers...has to be something I can buy at HomeDepot or Lowes nursery dept.)

Debi, those wave petunias will do the trick for you! And they'll trail over the window box, too, which just looks so beautiful. You can't go wrong with them - just water and enjoy!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
have you tried the crystals that swell up with water and hold it in the soil..they do not cost much, go a fabulous long ways and make all the difference in planters and window boxes

Debi

I have used the crystals, smkie...they are great! Those impatiens are water hogs! I also didn't want anything too high...blocks the breeze from coming in the window. I've had stunning impatiens that got so big, full, and lush that they practically covered the entire window. (it did look pretty from inside, too, tho) I would love something colorful that draped over more. I wonder if the petunias would be hardy enough for the front...where the wind hits the most. Reg. petunias seem a bit fragile, it takes them a bit to recover from a rain. :confused:

bubbatd

I agree !!! I never liked petunias until I got 2 waves....I never had to baby them....they are so forgiving!!! I got mine at Lowes and as I said, I'm going with them in all colors this year .....We'll see !!!! I think they'd be great in a window box!

I planted some in hanging baskets that were going to be in the sun. They did beautifully - so well that I planted some in the concrete planters lining the steps to the front porch at my house. The purple, pink and white looked so pretty in front of the lavendar house.

I'll bet Grammy knows what I'm talking about here! Have you ever seen the old fashioned rose bush called The Fairy? It has little roses the size of quarters all over it from late spring to early fall, and it will spread out, cascade over and is just gorgeous covering banks and places you don't want to have to mow.

bubbatd

No, I've never tried them !!! If they grow in TN they'd grow in IN....Will try some in a corner I have problems with. Thanks!!

If you can get some good ol' barn dried cow manure and put it out on roses they will grow and bloom like mad. It works so much better than the commercially prepared rose fertilizers.

There is also an old antique rose called 'Zephirine Droughon' that is available as either a bush or a climber that will grow in partial shade. It doesn't have many thorns, is a dreamy raspberry color and the fragrance is heavenly - just perfect for an arch over a garden seat for that afternoon glass of iced tea and a good book or watching the dogs play.

EliNHunter

Someone at work told me that wave petunias will come back, too? Does anyone know if this is true? That would sure be neat...

It will depend on how cold the winters get, I guess, although I don't know if they throw matured seed, since they're self-deadheading. That's one for me to ponder about . . . :confused:

bubbatd

I was surprised when my planter of snap dragons came back last spring.....

Members online

No members online now.