Lost My Best Friend

sue

I just lost my best friend in the whole world to kidney failure. He was a beautiful Shetland Sheepdog named Rex. He lived to be 13 years old. He was my best friend and companion. I miss him so much. I found this site on the internet, and I thought I would check it out. Sue

hey! welcome to the forums!! sorry to hear about rex. what color was he? I have three shelties!

Oh, Sue, it doesn't matter how long they are in our lives, it's always too soon to part with our wonderful dog-friends. Just know that somewhere Rex is still watching over you with wise eyes and a full heart.

No one will ever fill Rex' place in your heart, but one day you will look into a pair of bright, shining eyes and you will know that this is the one to make another, very very special place in your heart.

We'd love to hear your stories about Rex.

sue

About Rex

He was a beautiful Tri-Colored Shetland Sheepdog that we found abandoned over the July 4th weekend of 1991. He was the best dog ever. He gave me 13 years of happiness and love. It is still hard to sleep at night without him by my side. I miss him dearly. He was a special dog. He actually saved my life when a burglar tried to break into my house! He barked and warned me that someone was trying to break into our house. Rex was a very smart little dog with a heart of gold. I would do anything to hold him again. Thanks for responding to my email. Sue

MEG126

i'm so sorry for your loss. i know when we put my collie (cara) down i took it pretty hard. she was a great dog and loved us all very much as i'm sure rex loved you. i just kept telling myself that cara was in a better place and she wasn't suffering anymore, and i think that's what got me through. she was 10 years old, almost 11 and she was the first family dog we ever had. i was three when we got her and when i see pictures of her and i think about what it was like having her around, i still get sad. but now we have penny (she's a golden who just turned 3) to love and she has her own special place in our heart, as does cara. we'll keep you in our thoughts.

Julie H

Ripley Girl
I'm fortunate enough to not have had too many family and friends die, only one actually. So the loss of pets is all I really know and that is so hard. I had to have my minpin Simba put to sleep when he was 7. He had squamous cell cancer in his neck. He was the first pet I wa sin to room with when he went to sleep and it haunted me for a very long time. I still have his pictures up around the house. Whenever he pops into my thoughts out of the blue I know he is around me. They are always around and will be the first to greet us when we go Home.

I

iluvmydogs04

sue said:
I just lost my best friend in the whole world to kidney failure. He was a beautiful Shetland Sheepdog named Rex. He lived to be 13 years old. He was my best friend and companion. I miss him so much. I found this site on the internet, and I thought I would check it out. Sue
Hi,
Welcoem to Chazhound! I am so sorry about your Sheltie I had a sheltie that died of kidney disease and he was so sweet! shelties are such good dogs.
I still miss him. I am very sorry,'
Amanda :)

Lynn

Super Moderator
sue said:
Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your recent loss. It is always so hard when you lose a pet, but you can always remember the good times that you had with Rex.

I'm really glad that you found our forum, there are lots a cool people to talk to here. :)

nicco

Wolfpack
Hi...

Wow...What a sad story Serena...You know,I really cried.Even though I haven't had a pet that died.I'm sorry for anybody who's pet died..It's so sad... :(

MY1BOXER

Sorry to hear about your loving little dog. Over 10 yrs. or more, my husband bought me a akc reg. male boxer puppy...which I named MUGSY MALOAN. OOOHHH, We were so close. We did everything together. He was very protective of me. We had other mutt dogs, and he would`nt let them near me. I taught him how to fetch, sit and shake hands. He slept in bed with us and was a house dog. Well he was about 5 yrs. old and he was sick. So I took him to the vet and he ran some tests on him. He had a liver disease, so the vet gave me some pills to give him. He told me if MUGSY got worse to bring him right on in. So we went to bed and got up the next morning and I could tell he was gettin worse. So I hurried up and called the vet and told them I was on my way. So I knelt down and to pick up MUGSY and he died in my arms. Oh My God, I was sooo upset and cried. My husband was at work & kids were in school. I was so depressed for along time. It took me yrs. before I could ever bring myself to get another boxer. Every dog we got I couldnt get close to and really didnt like. So august 2003 we bought a akc. reg. male boxer and I named him SKYLER. He will never take the place of MUGSY. But I`m finally at a place that I can accept, embrace and love another boxer. SKYLER sometimes sits, & shake hands & fetch. HE sleeps in bed with us to. Thank God...he`s potty trained. He`s sooo hyper and funny. I knew he was the one in my heart and I knew I was finally ready. Hes a very good dog and I love him so very much. Skyler and I are close and were on a journey to making more memories. "So God Bless All Of Our Owners And There Pets That Has Passed On And God Bless Websites Like These Where Us Animals Lovers Can Share Our Pets Living Or Not...AMEN".

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend. It's so difficult to have that happen and my sympathies go out to you. As time passes, you'll remember all the good things and all the fun you had together....

I have been thru this myself about 3 years ago when our wonderful black lab, Cori, died from cancer on Dec. 4, 2001. She was almost 12 years old.

That day was a Christmas shopping day at elementary school for my daughter. I was home with our dog who seemed to be feeling badly but my daughter didn't know this was going on since she was at school. During the day I had to rush Cori to the vet. That's when it was found out that the cancer was bad, she was in alot of pain and there was no hope. I had to make one of the most difficult decisions....luckily I was able to contact my husband and he and our daughter (who was 9 at the time) were able to come over to the vet's office so that we could all say our good-byes to Cori. While my husband stayed with Cori to the end....they had a tremendous special bond...I took my daughter home and that's when she gave me the gift she had gotten at the shopping day at school. It was a statue of the most beautiful angel. It made me cry because I thought it was so symbolic and special because of what happened that day. That angel sits next to Cori's picture now and always reminds us of what a wonderful dog she was and that she will always be with us.

It was a few months before we decided that we needed another dog to fill the emptiness in our house. Our daughter kept saying that Cori was in heaven and was looking down on us and would send the right dog. My husband wanted a black lab again but I thought that we shouldn't do that because it would just remind us too much of Cori. That's when we adopted our Hannah. She was the total opposite in color, breed and personality. A year later we ended up adopting another dog, named Cole. He was a black lab and was actually born on December 4, 2003....two years to the day that Cori died. It's just amazing how things happen. :)

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

im sorry about your loss try not to think about it to much and maybe get a shetland in the future.

From the mouths of babes . . . your daughter was so right. Somehow, the right one - or two - always wanders into your life at exactly the right time and makes a new place in your heart.

My Bear died in my arms, too, after a sudden, brief illness. I'd just gotten off the phone with the vet first thing in the morning and was throwing on some sweats to run down and get a shot to bring back and give him when he began to shake. I slid the last five feet down the hardwood floor of my foyer on my knees and gathered his head and shoulders up into my lap, tears streaming down my face. He gave me one last look and nuzzled his face into the crook of my arm, shuddered once and was gone - along with my heart. I sat there for an hour, just holding him and sobbing my heart out. To this day the tears stream when I think about it. He'd had a long life with me, ten years, and was probably four or five when I got him, but I wanted him to live forever.

I didn't think I could ever cry like that again, until Buffy was murdered. She had just turned two - she was born on Valentine's Day, and she died from antifreeze poisoning on April 4. I sat up with her all night the night before she died, while she slept with her head in my lap. The night she died, we both knew it was near the end. She went to the bed she'd slept in when she first came home. I went to tuck her in and she looked up at me with those eyes, so eloquent and full of love and understanding. Buffy was so tired, and she'd fought so hard to live, but she looked up at me as if to tell me she was sorry, she couldn't do anymore. I sat down with her, lay my head against hers and told her it I loved her so, but it was all right if she had to go, I understood. She died in her sleep. She fought so hard to live; the vet was amazed. It was so obvious that she'd been fed the poison purposely that he even stated that for her to get the dose she'd obviously had it would have to have been injected into a large piece of meat and given to her. How could anyone be so heartless? And we know who did it - a threat was made against her - when she was doing her job, bringing in some calves that had broken down the fence. She just couldn't resist the lure of fresh meat. The only thing that saved Bimmer is the fact that he won't eat anything that we don't give him or he doesn't catch himself. He still grieves for her; she was the love of his life. If he hears us talk about her, he'll look up and cry piteously. His whole outlook on life has changed so much since her death. He's much more serious, won't willingly let anyone but us touch him and keeps a sharp eye on Kharma and Shiva. He didn't take any joy in life or play until we brought Shiva home, and even then it took him a couple of weeks to accept her.

nicco

Wolfpack
Renee,I don't know what to say except that I am so sorry.I don't want to think but it comes to me involuntarily...I don't know what I'll do when Amira will be gone...she is almost 9 years old...And I know that they (great danes) live between 8 and 10 years...I have to say that her mother lived 12 or 13 years and that is a very long time for them...but I can't stop thinking of the fact that some day she will be gone and I think I'll go crazy.I love her sooo much and I just want her to live forever just like you said but I know that's not possible...It's soo sad when you think about it...

Guys, this is my two thousandth post . . . and it is appropriate that it's here, in this thread. Thanks so much for your sympathies. For some reason Buffy has been on my mind today - she must be thinking about me.

I've always avoided the giant breeds up to now because of their shorter life span; eight to twelve years just isn't long enough, but then, a lifetime isn't long enough with these beasts. They never really leave us, though. I look at little Kharma, and I can see her aunt Buffy so clearly in her diva-ness, and in her earnestness when she looks at me and lays her head across my lap, and her focus when she's conniving to get her way. I can see Bear's heart and charisma reflected in Bimmer when he effortlessly rules the house, making these girls who outweigh him by more than two to one toe his mark, and in his endless devotion, and I see so much of Purdue, my first GSD, in his careless ego and overwhelming sense of responsibility. And Shiva's sweetness and careless strength and grace is so much like my beautiful blue Gonzo cat, lost to FIV after a long fight. Yet each of them brings their own individual special-ness to my life. I can't help but believe that friends passed send the right successors to heal the emptiness.

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
Renee...I totally feel your pain. Actually I am so glad to have found this board because it's a rare person who loves dogs so much and those people are on this board.

I am so sorry Sue

I am so sorry for your lost. I have a 8 year old sheltie who will be 9 this year in November. Her name is Gypsy. I sympathize with you, because I don't know what I am going to do when I lose her. Gypsy is a good dog, I never had to leash break her she taught herself to stay with me. I taught her some sign language. When I am not away at college she follows me everywhere when I am at home. She will not let me out of her sight. Again I am so sorry from the bottom of my heart for you and your sheltie friend.

Members online

No members online now.