Chinese crested

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
Is there any one here with a Chinese Crested dog? I mean the one's with no hair on there body just hair on there feet, head, tail..... I would like to know if there really good dogs. I might want one some day... I just cant fine one where I live. I live In Georgia....

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
ok

cool, ok thanks for the info. I was not sure how I was going to get one I mean I did not know I could rescue a chinese crested dog. I never seen one around here. Well I did not know there were any one in GA with one. I wish it was close to Warner Robins. Thanks.....

Hi,
i do not have a Chinese crested but my friend has 2 they started out with one and decided to get another one because they liked them so much they are very friendy dogs and good family dogs and good with kids and other animals. But one thing i know is they do like to have a play mate another dog to be with.
That is another reason they gto a second one and now they are so pleased. :)

Kal Poot

Hey, may be somebody can help, I was looking for the Chinese Crested puppies
I saw several ads on http://www.57dogs.com and even called dog-breeders, apparently they have the same quality but the price range is very wide from $100 to $500, does anybody knows why it could be so big difference. What I should be aware of when I talk with breeders? Any advice highly appreciated

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
well

Well about 6 years ago I saw a pet shop that had one Chinese Crested but it was the owners dog. I asked how much she got him for and she said $1,000 bucks for that one little dog. I don't think it was that much but who knows.

I know Serena will have some excellent advice on this. I'll give you some of what I look for in a Fila breeder, but some things are going to be different with a giant breed than a small one.

The first thing we look at is the breeder as a person. How do they talk about their dogs and the breed? Do they obviously love them, or are the dogs a commodity? Do they tell you funny stories about some of their individual dogs? Do they have a "house dog" or dogs who are particular pets? Do they recognize and talk about individual personalities of their dogs? If I don't see love for the individual dogs and great enthusiasm and respect for the breed I'm out of there.

Before I ever contact a breeder I do research on the web to educate myself about the breed so that I can ask intelligent questions and tell if I'm getting good answers or just a sales pitch. If the breeder has a website I study it before I ever contact the breeder. I contact the breeder by e-mail with questions about their dogs or the breed without saying that I want to buy one. If the breeder doesn't answer me, that's the end of it. I go look for another breeder because that's told me that 1) the breeder isn't terribly enthusiastic about talking about their dogs, and 2) this person has acted rudely. REAL dog people are never rude to people who want to know about their dogs - we can't resist an opportunity to talk about them!

You definitely want to look at all the dogs the breeder has. Watch how the dogs react to the breeder. Of course, you want to know about health issues. Your web research should give you a good basic knowledge about what breed-specific questions to ask.

A good breeder should want to know about you, too. The breeder should care very much about where their dogs will be living and want to know that they will be loved. We've become friends with the Leaveritts at Defender Filas where we got Buffy and now Kharma. Judy cried with me when I told her Buffy had been poisoned and made sure I got another puppy out of Buffy's line.

I'm not terribly enthusiastic about shipping dogs, and I like to pick out my pup in person, but you can do a lot of this over the telephone and internet if there isn't an acceptable breeder nearby.

I know there are a thousand other things to look for and some of them will occur to me later, but mostly Serena will have the answers you need, and I know there are many others here who can share their experiences with you and give you excellent advice. I've just given you some general stuff because I'm sure you really need to look for very different specifics with a small dog breed like the Crested. I can't stress enough, though, do your research and learn everything you can before you start shopping.

And please, please, PLEASE don't buy a puppy at a pet shop. If everyone would boycott this practice it would go a long way toward shutting down puppy mills.

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
I know

I know what I really want and I do know that it's a lifetime commitment. I have over 20 pets here and I know how it is. I am getting a new snake in just a few days. And in 4 months Im getting a new male leopard gecko for my females.

Karen

I am the happy owner of a wonderful new dog. I adopted her at the shelter last Thurs. She is wonderful!!
They had a case where the people were trying to run a puppy mill. They took76 dogs. I would not have stood a chance of getting her if my friend hadn't pulled few strings.
She is now sitting on my lap sound asleep.
She is the hairless kind. 1-2 yrs old and a whole 7.3 lbs.
Her name is Dee Dee. Stands for darling dog when good and darn dog when she isn't. So far very good. We are working on housebreaking because she was kept in a small cage until she came here to live,
Karen

Hi Karen, Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums :)

Dee Dee sounds like a great find. Congrats!

Chazhound

Karen

Still finding out how this forum works.
Dee Dee is doing great. Tomarrow we start dog obedience. She is getting much better walking on a leash. We are going in every direction on the roads around here. I live on a private dirt road and the paved road by the mailbox is very lightly traveled.
The bigest problem is giving her a bath. She is terrified!! I want to keep her skin in good condition. The book says she should have one at least once a week. She does have acne.
I never thought I would be buying clothes for a dog. She has little shirts for mornings that are cool. I got her such cute winter coats. they were so cheap I couldn't buy the material for $5.00.
I was afraid she would never get the idea of using a box. Still know that but she is using the potty pads. I live in upstate NY. We get lots of cold weather and snow. She will not be able to go outside in the winter.
I have lost at least 3 lbs. since I got her. The walking, bending. playing ect. Guess she is doing me well in more ways.
We were so lucky to have found each other!!
Karen

Karen

Dee Dee

Can hardly believe I have her almost 7 weeks. She is doing so well and so am I. I went to the Drs.last week and had lost 12 lbs.
Her vet is coming today to look at her neck. She had a rash when I got her from the shelter. It almost clears up and the breaks out in another place. She has been on Cefa Drops for the past 10 days but think she will need more agressive treatment.
Since I have been bsathing her every week and using the shamoo and the after stuff her pimples have cleared up and no new ones. The shelter was treating her for dry skin and she has oily.
She is doing well at obedience school. There are just 3 of us all with small dogs. At the end when they have play time she just peeks out from behind me. She isn't ready for that.
I want to hear from the rest of you about your dogs. Either on this forum or by my e-mail
Karen

S

SkySong

keetah

I have a hairless chinese crested =)
Her name is Keetah....and they ARE wonderful dogs.
Very very smart....Timid to strangers, but once they get to know them they love them as much as family =)
I can teach Keetah ANYTHING lol, within one or two tries.
She's best friends with my boxers, maltese, and two cats, and very VERY dedicated to her family......Especially who she knows is her mistress =P (me) hehe.
Leave the house for 2 min. come back ni and she'll treat you like you've been gone for 2 years.
Hyper...but she's got a wow personality.
She's twice as fast as my boxers, she will do rounds around the living room so fast she's a blur lol.
When she's especially excited she'll run around the living room, jump up onto the couch, run up the back of it, run back down, hit the floor, and do it ALL over again lol.
She's done a couple flips right off the back of it onto the floor.....Accident....Scared the bejeezus out of me but she landed on her feet lol.
Need to be careful though...when she was just a puppy, she ran smack into the coffee table, knocked herself out. another time, ran smack into the wall....knocked herself out -cough-
Overall though, she's an *AWESOME* dog, she cuddles just like a little kid, she'll give people hugs (put her legs around your neck and her head under your chin)
Except she.....finds chocolate....gum.....and whatever else she wants and hides it....Finds it later lol (normally she hides it under the couch cushions and digs for it later on) =P
Won't forget where she hides something either...A bone I hadn't seen in months, I was cleaning out my closet and she was watching me closely. soon as she seenthe bone she grabbed it and ran to hide it again lol.
Well I could go on forever about the good things about chinese cresteds....lol.....very very very wonderful dogs.

Skysong, that is so funny! Your tiny little crested does a lot of the same things as my giant Filas! Especially the part about racing around the house, the sofa and doing flips off the sofa. That's Shiva's specialty . . . :eek: Shiva's not the typical Fila . . . they're usually very sedate in the house . . . she's one of a kind!

Both of the girls do hugs like your Keetah, and Kharma especially hides things! She's got "nests" all over the place where she keeps things. Shiva hides things, too, but it's usually food - like stolen peanut butter jars.

candy722

I think they are cute. Most of all they don't have much hair so grooming isn't that expensive. How big do they get?

dawnell

Hello!

I am very interested in finding a hairless Chinese Crested I am currently doing all the research I can.
I have a three year old Australian Shepherd and am wondering if these two breeds will do well together. My aussie gets along well with other dogs but can be a little possessive in our house. Still, she's never started a fight and is very submissive.

I also take her on nice walks in the woods. Would a crested be up for this sort of exercise?

Everything I've read so far has been very positive about the Chinese Crested. I think these little pups are beautiful and am so excited about the idea of raising one.

I would love any other info or photos you might want to share.

Thank you!

d.

canchaser

Breeder

Check out www.houndsnhorses.com, they have some really nice chinese crested dogs and sell some puppies occasionally. Im sure they would be happy to answer any questions and Ive heard that they are really nice and helpful.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Nice helpful people who don't show their dogs, but still breed them regardless. And have information for payment on their site (yes it's just a deposit but how many reputable breeders will add that too their site and then "guarantee" that you'll get the pup you just told them you wanted in the form?) *cough*backyard breeder*cough*

I'd contacted the national breed club http://accc.chinesecrestedclub.info/ , breed rescue or attend a few shows to find breeders (and dogs).

Cass.

Members online

No members online now.