Chocolate lab who loves to chew...what else can I give him?

kmpage

We have a 4 year old chocolate labe, neutered male. He loves to chew (thankfully, he knows to only chew on his bones)...But that is just my problem. He can tear through a rawhide in under an hour, so I switched him to compressed rawhide bones, but he loves to chew these and can make quite a dent in them. Since he so loves chewing, does anyone have any other suggestions for something even stronger than compressed rawhide (he only likes to chew things that he gets some sort of satisfaction out of, the hard plastic bones he won't even touch)....

Any suggestions?

Go to your local butcher and get those big meaty knuckle bones. The dogs will work on them for hours. You can even keep them in the freezer and then it is a frozen treat. Once they get all the marrow out...which is their main goal...fill it with peanutbutter-freeze again and start all over. HOURS of intertainment!!!
Bec

I hit the jackpot when I found a great, squishy, chew toy for Shiva. It's made by Planet Dog, called the Orbee-Tuff Bone, and comes in two sizes. I never would have believe it would hold up to Shiva's chewing (you should see her teeth and jaws!), but the clerk at the feed store told me if she destroyed it in two weeks I could bring it back. That was a month and a half ago. The large one even has a hole through the middle so that it could be stuffed with something.

A Kong toy is also great and is made to be stuffed with peanut butter, cheese, or just anything that thrills your dog.

My dog loves to chew too. Does that Orbee-tuff bone come in different flavours. She'll only chew things with flavours! lol. And were did you buy it? Super Pet? Or does all the big brand name pet stores have it? Thanxs :)

*J*B*

MEG126

my golden loooves the rope toys and destroys them in no time, untieing the knot and everything until it's just a stringy mess... and she'd still chew on it so we figure she likes the rope texture and so we got her this other one at petsmart that has lasted a very long time... it's in a figure eight and has PVC piping around the joint, it's been great! she chews on it and we play tug too!! they have some great heavy-duty toys there. hope you find something that works!! oh and my golden didn't care much for the hard plastic bones either... she's much more of a cloth fan so i figure that's why she likes the rope. ohhh another one, it's a ball about the size of a tennis ball and it's made out of big-time plastic, but it's not solid... sorry i'm not very good at explaining that one... but we play fetch in the house with it.. and they can chew on it too. and another one... it's made by milkbone and it has little bone shapes cut out of it and it's hollow in the middle... bigger than a tennis ball and it's about an inch thick. all these toys have survived my dog so far! good luck!

I got the Orbee-Tuff Bone at the local feed store where I get their Innova food, but I'd say the bigger chains would probably have it.

One of the puzzle balls is also a great way to keep them occupied. You load them with treats, and the dog has to roll them around the right way until a treat falls out. I had one for Bimmer when he was a pup, and he really liked it until I was dumb enough to let him see me load it. He figured it out immediately then and just unscrewed the stopper and got ALL the treats out at once!

I don't know if the Orbee is flavored or not, but Shiva and Kharma both just love the texture of it. It's squishy!

Members online

No members online now.