What do you think

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i only glanced over the first one, but the author seems to be taking a little too much of a "whatever" approach with her diet plan. while i believe it doesn't take a scientist to feed a dog, there are some things that need to be considered when developing a diet plan.

i'm familiar with the second site and believe that the product is decent, but utilizes too many pre-processed things that are better included in their fresh state, such as gelatin, dried liver and egg yolk. i also do not think that the amount of salmon oil is enough, my dog weighs less than 40 pounds and gets 2 1000mg capsules at least four times a week.

Saje

Island dweller
Really? Should I feed salmon oil in addition to feeding fish and giving flaxseed?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
in my opinion fish oil is more beneficial than flax oil, since the fish oil contains active omega 3 fatty acids that are immediately usable to the dog's body, whereas the ones contained in flax seed have to be transformed and some dogs don't even have the capacity to do so. they may still benefit from the increased amount of fat in their diet (e.g. soft, shiny coat), but do not get the full therapeutic effect of the fish oil.

the amount you'd want to feed of the fish oil depends on what kind of fish you include in the dog's diet, as only ones that live in cold, salty waters supply high amounts of the highly beneficial omega 3's. in addition to that, good quality fish oil (doesn't have to be salmon necessarily) has many of the impurities removed that you would still find in the fish in their natural state, so you can feed higher amounts without possible problems from contamination.

it's best to feed a human grade fish oil supplement, as the ones specifically produced for the pet market are not subject to the same strict quality control.

Mordy, what's your studied opinion on the Sojourn product line (www.sojos.com)? It seemed to offer a good base, but I haven't really considered trying to feed raw to my three (can you imagine?) and since the advent of EVO haven't really seen any great advantage, even though, obviously, I can at least supply meat completely free of anything that doesn't occur naturally.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
sojo's is okay, but the company doesn't offer much information about nutrients, calcium and phosphorus content and so on. this makes me extremely nervous, since there is no way for calculating your ratios and finding out whether to supplement (e.g. with ground egg shells) or not. customer service was very unhelpful when i contacted them with these questions, to a point of eventually just ignoring my emails.

you'd be better off buying human grade cereal grains in bulk and mixing your own, in my opinion.

with evo, at least you have a properly balanced base, with a good calcium reserve that would even allow you to add some boneless meat on a daily basis without having to supplement extra calcium. i have the calculation somewhere since i did it for someone who asked me for advice on feeding evo plus some fresh foods, but i'd need to dig it up if you want it.

That's not good that they aren't willing to share information. Makes you wonder what there is to hide, or why else would they be so reluctant to divulge information?

I do occasionally thaw out some ground beef for special meals . . . or to stretch things when I haven't been able to get to Knoxville. :eek: We had an old cow that got herself caught on something and broke her leg and had to be put down, and we already had a freezer filled with Angus meat, so we've got two freezers full (or used to be, lol) of ground beef that's so far and away better than anything you can buy, but what the dogs really like is the ribeyes. Being from an older cow, they really don't taste very good to us, but you should see the dogs go for them. :D

Members online

No members online now.