Heart Murmur

I just rescued a 8 week old Pitbull Puppy with a heart murmur from a BYB and I dont know anything about this condition. So some help would be great on this. She goes to see my vet tommorro is there anything I should know or ask.

"Heart murmur" is a fairly ambiguous term, usually for a mild flaw in the valves of the heart. You'll want to ask your vet about the severity of the murmur and what the long term prognosis is, what kind of exercise is appropriate, how strenuous, etc. I don't know that I would expect very good nutritional advice from a vet because most of them only push Eukanuba or Science Diet, neither of which are feeds I would recommend for a healthy dog, let alone a dog with a health problem.

Check out the nutritional information at www.greatdanelady.com. It should be a great help to you.

Good luck with your puppy. Oftentimes the ones with a problem can be so special and bring so much love into your life; they need your care and love and give so much back to you. Let us know what the vet says, please.

Thank You

Thank you i will do that . I feed Canidae to all my dogs. I want her to live a long time , but if thats not the case she will get what she needs till it`s her time. She will be missed , so we are enjoying her while we can , beats being put down for a stupid money reason because she is defective so she cant be sold.

Well we just got back from the vet , she said it is a PDA and it sounds loud. I am making her an appointment for an ultrsound next so we will just wait and see. So know i need to search out info about PDA`s.

I'm glad to hear you're feeding Canidae; it's one of the better feeds. You and your baby will be in all our thoughts. Please keep us posted. By the way, what's your pup's name?

Just give her a name that means something and isn't too big a burden for her to live up to. And be careful! They have a way of living up to their names. Charlie insisted on "Shiva" - the Great Destroyer - and she's done her level best to live up to that name. (g) Not only does she bulldoze through anything in her path, when she was a younger puppy nothing was safe from her. She's gotten better, but she still can't be trusted to stay in the house with Bimmer and Kharma when we're gone and has to be banished to the laundry room/back porch.

Well its not a PDA so there is nothing we can do but make her happy for as long as she has. They couldnt give a time frame on how long it will be , all they could say is she will probibly die of heart failur (spell ?).

Did you get any info on what was involved and the severity of her condition? The vet should be able to give you some idea after doing an ultrasound, and when you pay for those kind of tests, you're definitely due as in depth of an explanation as you can get. You should also be able to get some recommendations as to what kind of activity level she should have.

I know she'll be loved and cherished for all of her days, no matter how many you are lucky enough to have with her.

By the way, have you found her name yet?

The lady doing the ultrasound tryed to explain it to me but i didnt understand , so when i go to my vets he will tell me in english. She said just let her go and be happy , but if you see her having trouble brething just put her away to calm down. No we havent decided on a name yet.

Members online

No members online now.