How do I stop puppy from biting Max?

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson's 8 month old pitbull keeps biting Max's legs, ears, & neck. Max does nothing when this happens. Max play bites the pup a little but the puppy bites hard and has drawn blood. The puppy knows better than to do this to CJ since she will growl back, not like Max.

We saw the puppy with another full grown pitbull the other day and he played nice. There was none of this hard biting like he does to Max.

Yesterday we put a muzzle on the puppy which he didn't like too much so he could play with Max and not bite. Max was so happy. We didn't tell my stepson since he would be against us doing this but what he didn't know we used it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how we could train the puppy not to bit Max like this or is the muzzle our only option? Thanks Barb

Valkie

puppy mom
change that... I thought Max was your stepson at first :p . I would try keeping the puppy on a leash for a bit while it's playing with Max, when he starts to get too rough, correct him.

Barb, has the pup been neutered yet? At 8 months old he's turning into an adolescent and this could be the beginning of some trials at dominating Max.

You know, CJ might be your best ally on this. If he's in the area with Max and the pup and Max yelps, do you think CJ would step in? I've had some great results letting the dogs take care of the teaching.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Renee, the pup was spayed at 7 1/2 months (his private parts were already well developed).

When CJ is outside, the pup has pushed her and then goes away. No one messes with CJ. I think everyone knows she is in charge.

Max actually hasn't even yelped when the pup bites him, Max just takes it and gets hurt. CJ will definitely protect both of the cats.

In terms of dominating. The pup was already humping at 6 months old.

It's odd, today for the first time, Max saw a very little puppy walking with it's owners in front of our house and barked loudly, jumping, and then sort of went after CJ. It's the first time Max showed such signs. CJ wasn't even near Max, she' learning to bark farther away from him.

I just wonder if Max is caught somewhere between puppy and adulthood and doesn't know what he is at times.

That sounds like a pretty good observation, Barb. It may just take Max awhile to settle into being a full time adult. They can be strange creatures sometimes . . .

Members online

No members online now.