Question about Bortetella

mom2two

I have two bichons that are never in a kennel, and always with my husband and I. My 4 year old Gidget has a collapsing trachea,she also is a runt, Dexter the 1 year old does not, and he is an average size male bichon. (Seperate litters seperate breeders.) She has gotten that spray the last couple of years, and for a few days after she is having major problems with the collapsing trachea. I hate watching her go through this. This would be Dexter's first time getting it. I am considering not having them go thru this. Would I be wrong? Is there a shot version of this? Can I get feedback on your out takes please? I do not want to do the wrong thing but I hate watching her suffer. Thanks in advance.

Beth

mom2two

Thank you Renee750il

Thank you, I am hoping we don't have to go through this spraying thing. Hopefully it does come in an injection.

mom2two

Thank You Serena

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your opinion. It is very helpful and reassuring to me to know what others think and do.

Gidget is 12 pounds which the vet has said is ok weight. They would like her at 11 but she has maintained 12 pounds for two years now, she is very active and has a good heart rhythm they say. The vet checked her heart, and actually does every time we are there, and says it sounds very healthy and strong. We rescued/adopted her from a puppy mill, so unfortunately when we asked if the collapsing trachea was in the family they did not know. They do believe it is though, and so does our vet. As for a heart condition our vet says she doesn't think so, we have done blood tests and we monitor her more closely, she seems real good. I hope I did not say this the wrong way, I know it is not the intranasal spray that causes her collapsing trachea, but it is upsetting to her when that spray is done and for a couple of days after she has more spells of it then normal. She only really has spells, other than when the spray is done, when she is greeting "mommy" or "daddy" when we come home. The vet mentioned she is also a runt but not sure if that causes it to be worse or not.

Dexter is not a runt, he is a full size male bichon and this would have been his first spray. I just do not know about this. I read the Your Dog and Dog Fancy and they say it is ok to question these things, and I just don't feel we really need this preventative measure as they are not in kennels or around many other dogs to get kennel cough.

May I ask why you do not give your pets the injection or intranasal spray? I am not trying to be nosy, I just wonder what your out take is. Again Serena thank you very much you are really a big help and have helped me make up my mind.

Beth :)

mom2two

Hi Serena

Hi there Serena,

Thank you again! I really do appreciate all the good advice and information you are sending me in your replies. I forward them to my husband too, he says thank you also.

Gidget started with these spells when she was about one. She just turned four, my little girl! She seems to do better when she gets more exercise, and no people food. ( I was a naughty one, my husband is not. But she is only on dog "cereal" now, no people food except for an occasion carrot stick for a treat.) She gets into these spells not very often but when she is very excited. She is easy to persuade out of the spells a little more. Taking her mind off of it seems to work great, such as bring mommy the ball, when I come home and she is gasping. She does bring you the ball and usually she now has her mind on something else and it goes away. We so that each time, and I know this will cound sort of funny but I call my house right as I start to pull onto the road telling them that mommy is almost home. Dexter thank goodness like I mentioned before does not have the collapsing trachea. He has "hot spots" on his skin that causes itching, the vet called them hot spots. Because this is his first summer after turning one they do not want to test for allergies until August. The vet said usually if it is seasonal allergies or an allergy you test after their first year. She mentioned it could be skin mites too. He seems worse with itching in the winter. But a little vitmain E seems to be helping him with that.

Thank you so very much for helping me. I am the type of person who wants to do the best for my "kids" and want them to have protection and the best care, and that is what started me asking questions and doing research about this. I also am the type of person that can be persuaded ( people can lay guilt trips on me and I fall for them)so I wanted the facts and other people's opinion to weigh pros and cons. I do not feel this will be necessary for my dogs and am not going to do this to them anymore. I hope my vet understands and is not mad, but it really is for the well being of my dogs that counts the most to me. I have also read that a good vet will not argue the point with you they will trust that you have done your research and will honor your decision. (within reason of course!)

I look forward to all your posts and thanks again for being so helpful!

Beth :)

Members online

No members online now.