need advice on what breed to get

LittleCam said:
Yes, we would be willing to adopt from a shelter, although we'd prefer to get a puppy or very young dog so it'll be used to the enviroment...I'm sure going from a house with a small family or being a stray to being a dog in a house with 40 girls would weird a dog out ;) But on the flip side it'd be nice to find a young, yet adult, dog so we already knew what their personality would be like. What do you think would be better?
There are LOTS of young dogs in shelters. IMO if you get a dog, you should go with one that is completely housetrained.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
sice everythign else has been said about anything ill try and give you some advice on breeds...

the terrier group would work well for playfullness however a terrier might be too high energy, boarder terriers are one of my fave sin that class, or perhaps a jackrussel. these dogs tend to be a little too hihg in energy for my liking and tend to be more noisy than the dog i suggest in my next post.

however my personal choice would be any of the spaniels...spaniels by standard should be happy "merry" dogs, they are a breed bred for flushing so love running round, my parents have a anerican english cocker mix and hes absolutly wonderfull, housetrained very quickly, hes calm in the house but outside loves to run around and play fetch, however he wasnt properly socialized as a puppy and is now a little shy. however a properly socilized cocker would make a wonderfull choice for that kind of housing arrangement, they tend to love everyone they meet, are calm inside, playfull outside, quick to learn, aim to please and also usually ahppy to alert you when somethings not quite right (stranger at the door ect) which seems like a good idea for a unch of girls living together. the only problem with a cocker is they require clipping about every 2 months, to keep them tidy (not very expensive though) and brushing at least every other day in a short clip (every day for a long clip)
the ears have to be cleaner with the grooming too because of them being long and droopy. cockers dont usually have that many health problems. just make sure to feed a dry or raw food diet to keep the teeth clean and buy from a reputable breeder.
they also love to snuggle when sleepy. (so you get the pros of having both an active merry dog and a cuddly dog all at once)

other spaniels to look into would be the springer spaniel.

as always spay/neuter your pets and buy from a repuatable breeder or check out your local shelters...also with a group of girls id probably go with a male dog...for some reason male cockers tend to bond more with women than they do with men from my experience.

hope this helps.

yoko

i really don't think you should have a dog in your situation :/ but since you are set on getting one i'd have to agree. a golden does sound pretty good for you

Brattina88

I've never had a Golden, so grammy - correct me if this is absolutly wrong!!!
I've heard multiple people say that [well bred/even tempered] Cocker Spaniels are the closest you can get to a little Golden.
I agree with everything that Foxy said, except that cockers do not have many health problems. They are prone to many genetic and other diseases and disorders if gotten from a BYB, puppy mill, or pet store (A BIG no-no!)
I wouldn't get any smaller than Cocker-sized dog in your situation, and also would second grammy's suggestion of a rescue golden

bubbatd

I've only known a few Cockers , but they were very nippy. I don't agree with the situation either , but if they're hell bent to get a dog, a Golden will want to please and try to settle in .

yoko

i've known only 1 cocker and it was a really sweet dog but it had like every genetic disorder in the books :'(

Brattina88

That's sad, and I am not one bit surpirsed. Well, I guess you should come on over and meet Maddie, Grammy :D
It's sad, but the dedicated breeders are trying really hard to reverse what popularity has done to the breed.

Its not a very stable or consitant envoirment, but I guess dogs are adaptable and I'd rather have one live in this conidtion than on the streets or die on the table

bubbatd

That is what happened to Cockers....such a shame that they were bred for looks/color and not for health and temperment.

Sounds pretty selfish to me, Cam... you've gotten great advice here and poo poo'd it. We know what's in the best interest of the dogs. And having a "group" home with no "one owner" only will confuse the dog. I'm glad the Chi had a great time, but that's a Chi. Maybe get another Chi, then. I disagree with getting a golden. They are very loyal and need their ONE owner. Not a house full of 40 to confuse them. Goldens are willing to please no matter what. And that's not to say they will be HAPPY while trying to figure it out. I highly recommend stuffed animals all the girls can cuddle with when they're wanting to bond to a dog until they're ready to commit to a dog for 15+ years...

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Cam, no one can tell you you should or should not get a dog, just keep in mind that we are all just concerned. Being a foster home for animals is a great thing to get involved in. There are so many many dogs out there who need just a little bit of love and just thing the love of 40 girls well what more could a dog ask for.

I don't believe Cam is interested in fostering and actually "helping" a dog out... it's all what they want in their little world... so sad...

bubbatd

My post didn't show up ... I agree EliN , but they don't want a mutt ...they're a sorority ... want a macho breed ! Bratt, I'd love to know your Maddie !! I'm sure she is what a Cocker should be ! I'm through posting here, as Cam hasn't come in, but anxious to see what they decide.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
when i refer to any dog having no major health problmes i mean so long as there from a REPUATABLE and knowledgabel breeder! i am VERY agains mills petsotres and backyard breeder, all my references are about WELL BRED dogs..and a well bred cocker shoudl have relitivly few health problems, so long as ears and eyes are kept clean (eyes are usually a big problem with cockers)

however from my observations i agree, ive met many well bred and backyard bred cockers, of those i have NEVER met a well bred, well socialized cocker with a health or behavioural problems...and ive met alot of backyard bred dogs that have more health problems than a veterinary manual can covers and have extreemly bad behavioural problems...but this is also true of most breeds, especially those whove had sudden increases in popularity...

ALWAYS buy from a repuatable breeder!

(just wanted to make sure that was clear :) )
ive heard so many bad comments about cockers...and there are so many generalizations...my parents got our first cocker when i was 2, not only did she deal with me pulling on her, but my brother was just born and she dealt with him wonderfully telling mum whenever he cried, while he learnt to walk he used her as a climbing frame, often using her ears and rump as pullies...and she never once even looked funny at him, and when my sister came along we whent through the same again. their current cocker has that exact same forgiving merry nature!

PFC1

MyDogsLoveMe said:
Cam, no one can tell you you should or should not get a dog
Actually, yes we can. She just doesn't have to listen.

For what its worth, when I was in college, we had a house dog as well. It was terrible. Because no one was the "owner" various people (not all, but some) took great delight in tormenting it. Sickening, really. Finally, someone realized that the dog needed a good home, and they adopted it and took it out of the situation.

At a later time, another member got their own dog which lived with them in the house, and that was much, much better. Everyone knew it belonged to that member, and no one dared do anything improper to another member's dog. It worked out well, until someone left a door open, it ran outside and was killed by a car.

If you have your heart set, I would strongly recomend that you personally take this responsibility on yourself, and you personally be the owner. That is the only way you are going to guarantee that the dog is taken care of and that it doesn't get abused. Even then, you may still have problems.

As far as buying from a reputable breeder, no reputable breeder would place one of their pups into this situation.

PFC1

Why is it that I just can't get Reese Witherspoon dressed in a pink suit out of my head?

It's a perfect day......♪
And nothing's standing in my way!♪

Last edited:

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
PFC1 I think what I was trying to say didnt come across the right way. We can all sit here and give our opinions on the matter but really we CANT tell her she can or can not get a dog. All I was trying to say is that the decision will be theres. They need to take a look at their situation and determine #1 who will be the owner? #2 Are all of these 40 girls going to comitt to this dog IE break a date because it is their turn with the dog. #3 who is going to be responsible for buying food, toys, vet trips etc. #4 If I remember correctly they have no yard so who is going to be the one to go out with the dog and supervise it while it does its duty.

40 college girls and a dog could be a great thing or not....Depends on the maturity of the girls and their willingness. Goldens I think would be great if they are serious about getting one. They are laid back, docile (most of the time) and a family dog. I wouldnt get a puppy. Even though they are really cute they do require your undivided attention all the time. they are babies....

Members online

No members online now.