Really Wierd Dog And His Water Behavior

My almost a year chihuahua/terrier,Harley, has many odd qualities but one really wierd one is something he does with his water...

..whenever nobody is looking, Harley digs in his water, he splashes it EVERYWHERE, til the last drip is out of the bowl and its a metal bowl so we here his paws clanking..when we come over he imeditly stops and has an innocent look, but the water is everywhere and his bowl is like 4 feet from its starting position and we dont know why he does it! and if he thinks your looking at him he definitly wont do it

Do any of your dogs do this? or any1 you know? or do you know why?!

please reply!!!!

Harely,
I cant help with the problem, but i can make you feel a little better. I know of a few dogs that dig in there water bowls. My 5 month old pup Artemis likes to push around the water dish.
The only thing i can think of is that your dog is doing this for attention. Even if you scold him he is still getting attention. other wise.....he just likes to play in the water....lol :p

My Bimmer did that when he was adolescent. Sometimes he would lay in the water after he'd dug it all out. Fortunately, he only did it with his outside dishes. He eventually grew out of it, but I do keep a wading pool in the yard for him. I just change the water every few days, depending on how dirty he - and Shiva and Kharma - have gotten it. Now he's developed the habit of getting in the pool and rinsing off if he's gotten dirty or muddy out in the pasture!

Bimmer's water behavior is most likely something from his wolf background, since he routinely finds water to wet his belly in, then covers it with dirt to help mask his scent before he goes out for some serious hunting.

My bet is that it's the Terrier in Harley coming out. Terriers love to dig; the name "terrier" came from "terra," Latin for earth (but you probably knew that). Harley would probably love a sandbox.

To keep Harley from doing this in the house, you might want to get one of those raised platforms that have a food and water dish. If it's not low enough, he won't be able to dig.

Last edited:
The breed loves water!

These are dogs that are bred with an association to water, meaning, they love (or long) to be in or near the water. Even if one of the breeds that your dog has in him has this quality.

My dog is a mini schnauzer, he prefers to avoid water altogether, would rather "hold it" when raining (or, if desperate, goes in his own special place that HE chose in our basement!). Although, he only likes water for drinking (of course).

There ARE many types of dogs that are bred for specific reasons, as in search and rescue, some have the need for being mostly on boats, "water lovers"), there are climbers, fighters (pits), lovers (mini schnauzers), etc. YOU just happen to pick the water lover, which means he is trying to tell you he is waiting to perform his duty which is inate (he feels is about water, seeking his fulfillment in life), as like humans have this, finding our purpose in life.

Take him to a pool, have someone jump in and act like they are in need of rescue, watch his reaction!

Mine just comes up to the edge and dreams (curious), if he sees anyone coming near him, he runs away fast!

Next time you shop for a pet, research their history, then decide if you can accommodate their happiness in life (instead of just thinking of yourself and your need to have "a dog").

I am upset at those who think "Any kind will do!" (except for the bleeding hearts who take them because no one else will), or "He is soo cute, I have to have him!" (cute is not a reason to purchase a pet!!!), or those who breed (or cause the breeding of) mutes! Ignorance in all aspects is destroying our world (in the long run, irrepairable damage), as the Lord said, "...people perish for lack of knowledge".

H

hottie1

i have this dog thats is really funny he loves to play hide go seek i hide and he finds me and when he dose he barks like crazy :D this one day i have to go to a friends house to go get her and my dogs sister was playing hide go seek with her brother it's is really funny when you see it :)

H

hottie1

how many people think that dogs are humans best friend
well i think thats true because my dog don't let no one hurt me

hottie1 said:
how many people think that dogs are humans best friend
well i think thats true because my dog don't let no one hurt me
I think you're absolutely right! Not only do they take care of us, but they are much nicer than lots of people. They are certainly more compassionate and don't pass judgement.

Sheba

I W A L R
same with me.whenever someone walks by Wendy,my dog,barks like crazy.there is something weird going through her mind,though.when the owner has a dog,and is walking it,she goes on the couch,goes near the window and then just sits there watching the dog and the owner walk by.

Debi

My husky mix, Addie, digs in her water dish all the time (outside, thankfully) and she doesn't like water at all....as far as being in it or even a bath. I used to think it was because prior to having an electric water dish..she would dig to break the top ice in the winter. She is a digger, tho....so I think it is just something she likes to do. I'd try the raised dish indoors. Addie is restricted to drinking water on the porch when inside......she is also quite a slob about it. LOL :D

iky

When Codi, my 12 week husky, drinks water, he puts his one foot inside the dish and drinks, he wont drink unless his one foot is inside the bowl. He also loves splashing water on everyone around and often does it on purpose. Codi likes anything that can make him wet, he loves it, and often shows proof of that when he runs through the house soaking. Codi wont let another dog or anyone close to me, he is very protective already, and he is only 12 weeks. Codi also likes to dig in his dish and throw all his biscuits out, so he can eat it off the floor and not out of the dish.

Debi

Iky....that is so funny cause that's what my german shepard does....Hammie has to throw the food out of his dish to eat it on the floor. Course, I don't always find this amusing, especially when he decides to drag it to the carpet. He's getting a little better about eating from the dish cause he is still a pup...but I thought that was so strange!!!!! I think he is finally 'getting it' that I am not always pleased to find food strewn around the kitchen. :D

Debi

Also....Addie was never a barker ( I don't think huskies are much for being a watch dog ) she would 'love' you to death. But already at 6 months, Hammie is the ultimate protector. He has developed quite a 'man' bark and NEVER leaves my side. He is such a baby, but I love that he looks intimidating and truly would not let anyone hurt me. :)

iky

Debi, I think most people are scared of the apperance of a husky, we have boards all over the house that says "enter at own risk, dogs on guard" but i think if anyone enetred the house the huskies would only lick them to death :D , yet people keep their distance because of the way Codi looks, and his brother, Buddy. Even when we take them walking, people stand at a distance and ask if its ok to try and touch them. Codi has now learnt to sit at my feet when i work on the PC, or sit at my feet when I watch tv or am in the kitchen. He is truely a wonderful pet...and everyday he just gets bigger and bigger. He also loves laying on his back, like a real baby...keeps everyone around highly amuzed :p . I want to have him sleep inside the house but sometimes he still messes, although he has improved a lot and I am cery proud of him, I am worried to keep him inside and with winter and all I cant leave a door open for him. Do you have any suggestions? :confused:

Debi

Iky, just stay patient..he will become housebroken in no time. But, my Addie prefers to be outside. Since you have a true husky..they would have no problem sleeping outside..believe me!! Just provide a sound doghouse and they will be so happy. I then bring my dogs in during the day..all day in winter. I've seen my Addie sleeping sprawled out in about 6 in. on snow..as if sunning herself..lol on a winter day. She just adores running in snow..the deeper the better. When it gets truly bitter cold, we put them in our heated garage. It isn't hot..only about 50 or even 45 degrees but Addie is still happy to get back outside. I love huskys...they truly are so loving..and as you say, they have a very intimidating look about them. :) One last note on the outdoor doghouses, my husband built them with double walls with 6 ins. insulation between the walls, ceiling and floor. Then we pile in at least a bale of straw. Even outdoor loving dogs need the maximum protection. Hammie has never been out in severe weather. I'll start him out this fall and see how it goes. Also on the doghouse..we have heavy rubber strips hanging down...the dog can go in easily, but they completely cover the opening. Also the houses face away from the wind. All that is just in case you decide to have your dog sleep outside. Like you....I still like mine with me.... :) I love hearing about your pup...makes me smile. :)

iky

Debi...thanx for the advice...here in SA the winters dont get that cold, so i am sure that they will both be fine outside, but it would still be nice to have him snuggled up with me to keep me warm *wink* My black cat slapped Codi today because he was getting on the poor cats nerves, do you have any cats in the house? My Simese cat (my other cat) wants nothing to do with the dogs at all, if they inside, he goes and sulks outside.

Debi

Iky, I have a cat that is going to be 15 this Oct. She has been in a VERY bad mood for........almost 15 years!!!! lol She is declawed because she is so mean, but of course she now bites...and she is fast. For some reason she has no problem with Hammie. I even have pictures of them sleeping side by side (so odd...she doesn't like anyone or anything) BUT...she has never gotten along with Addie. That's one of the reasons I can't have Addie in the house too long, especially overnight.......they would drive me crazy!!! :D

I'd love to have everyone in all night........but then I'd have a husband growling!!!! I could just see everyone climbing on the bed. We can't shut them out of our room cause it's an open floor plan, our bedroom is a loft...hubby isn't always into the same 'snuggle' factor I am with the dogs.. :D

Members online

No members online now.