Question about "Never give a command you can't enforce"

neamhni

I've read all over the forums the motto "Never give a command you cannot enforce". I'm having recall issues with my dog, and my question is: how do/can you "enforce" the "come" command?

Doberluv

By never calling your dog to "come" unless there is some way to make him. Your dog should not have freedom until he learns a reliable recall. (come) Once your dog blows off your commands and gets away with it, those commands become meaningless. In other words, he knows he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to. Punishing is no good because why would a dog come to someone he's afraid of. With that command, it's praise or nothing.

You can do a search on this forum for threads about this very thing...there are lots.

R

RedyreRottweilers

in addition to the GREAT longline advice, look up my piece called "The Recall Game" and try that.

Thanks for the pointer Redyre...just checked it out myself. My kid NEVER wants to come back in during the day!

opokki

By setting the dog up to succeed....
Gain reliable recalls at short distances without distractions first. Avoid calling the dog unless you are sure she will come. Once she is reliable at short distances without distractions, add a few little distractions gradually building up your distractions and then work on building your distance. Make sure wonderful things happen everytime the dog comes.

bonster

Disappointed :(
My .02 on this - make it real fun when he comes back.

The command should be "here" or "come" (whatever), not "come on, come on, oh *$#*$#& come on..." etc or its meaningless

And always praise, even for a slow recall. If he likes what happens when he gets back, he'll want to come back quicker next time....

Another tip I found useful is not always to call back just to leash-up or put back in the car for the ride home - so there's not an association with playtime over (a sure reason not to want to come quickly!)
Lots of praise and random treats on recall, maybe sometimes starting a game etc worked great for me

Doberluv

My kid NEVER wants to come back in during the day!
Why? Does all the fun end when he comes back in? Try making a continuation of the fun times, hide and seek, fetch, tug of war games and even some treats for 10 minutes or so, once he comes back in. That will make coming in more appealing to him.

Believe me is is nothing but fun in this house. My hubby and I are are just a couple of kids..:D
It's because the squirrels can run waaay faster than we can!!:D

Fran27

Boris used to be the same. I just got to give him some very very yummy treats everytime he came when I called him, plus taking the leash to let him in if he refused to come (he came running in as soon as he saw the leash :D), and now he always comes when I call, and he gets a treat about 30% of the time.

So my advice is to take the leash with you if you're going to call him in, and if he doesn't come, go get him, and once he's in give him a yummy treat or a big cuddle.

neamhni

Soooo.... "enforce" in this case means to go and get the dog if they don't come or to pull the dog to you on the long lead?

Doberluv

Personally, if the dog's off leash, I wouldn't even use the word, "come" unless you're positive the dog is going to or unless he's like two feet from you, obviously coming. At that point, say, "come" and then reward like crazy. Instead, if he's off leash, don't tell him to come. Just run the other way, make very fun, silly noises and see if he'll come. Squat down with your arms outstretched in a very happy way. See if you can entice him to come without using the word. Then when he does, use it. This way he won't get conditioned to hearing the word, but not come. If you have to go chasing after him when he ignores you "come" command, too much time may elapse and he'll lose the connection. It's best to have a leash or long line on him to help him obey your command or do the other way where you entice him to come without actually giving the command....that is, until he's just about to you.

I prefer motivating the dog to come, rather than pulling him in with the long line, if possible. This makes him decide to come and anytime the dog chooses the "right thing to do" (lol) he learns better, gets smarter, than giving him no choice by forcing him to come. Try seeing if you can make coming to you the best thing in the world...special treats, lots of praise and don't say the word, "come" unless you're positive he's going to. It will snowball the more times he is successful in getting a payoff. He'll get better and better. This is how I taught my Dobe and he has a very very reliable recall, even when in mid chase of other furry creatures.

Last edited:

Members online